Juniperus oxycedrus subsp. macrocarpa

• 2 Replies

John

Juniperus oxycedrus subsp. macrocarpa
« on: September 20, 2011, 11:19:47 PM »
Over the period when I was working on our book "Flowers of Crete" I came across this juniper a few times. It was always restricted to coastal habitats where I also saw it years before on Cos. I have grown it from seed a few times and without exception it has always proved hardy despite it's frost free origins. Ironically it's close relative J. oxycedrus subsp. oxycedrus on Crete is only found at altitude where it experiences severe winters.
Here is a plant of the subsp. macrocarpa growing at Kew by the Mediterrranean garden which is quite a few years old now and has coped with some really cold spells. It has a surprisingly almost fastigiate habit which is not typical of any plants I have seen in the wild.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alice

Re: Juniperus oxycedrus subsp. macrocarpa
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 08:55:42 AM »
Juniperus oxycedrus, growing wild near the sea on Paros.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John

Re: Juniperus oxycedrus subsp. macrocarpa
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 09:19:42 AM »
Thanks for posting these, they are what I consider quite typical and are like those at Elafonisi in the SW corner of Crete.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.