Atlantic Cedar

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just wonder if anyone can tell me anything about Atlantic Cedar (Chamaecyparis thyoides v. "Emily")

other than what is commonly available in all the horticulture sites. It is supposedly a fast grower

when young--can't really say yet; it will NOT tolerate ANY shade--I

can attest to that; it prefers it wet deep and rich but will tolerate various moisture

levels and soils--or so they say. The one I had was a "getting to know you" sort of purchase

and I have been giving it the pine cone treatment to alleviate its root bound condition. Just

wondering if anyone had any experience with them. The foliage is really nice and fine with a

pleasant kelly green coloring. Was itching so badly for something to "sink shears into" just went

and bought 3 more of them.

NOTE:This is NOT Atlas Cedar (Cedrus atlantica) a needled member of the true Cedar genus of
only four member species. But Atlantic as in the ocean near its natural habitat a member of the
"false cypress group" of species.
This species is also known as:
Atlantic white-cedar
southern white-cedar
white-cedar
swamp-cedar
false-cedar

Sorry for any confusion on this.
a. :D

Last edited:

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just bought an atlas cedar from Muranaka nursery. It was field grown and looks to be about eight to ten years old. I don't know much about this species either, so I hope someone chimes in.

PS What is the "pine cone treatment"?

Attachments

• Atlas-cedar.jpg
    Atlas-cedar.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 110

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, whats the "pine cone treatment to alleviate its rootbound condition." ? I've never heard of this one before.

ed

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Never heard of that either, and they are a touchy tree to work with, especially root work, if yours is a cultivar its probalbly grafted to deadora, which is better for root work, can you see the graft union, sometimes there buried and what looks to be the base is six inches lower, read all you can before cutting anything.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bought one after Christmas was over they were selling these as living Christmas trees. The are then worthless to the nursery in January. Got one for $20. Always wanted to see if I could make a realistic deodor cedar bonsai. We shall see. Have always loved seeing the real life trees in nature/ landscaping. Huge drooping branches some touching the ground. I removed 60% of the roots and 60% of the foliage . Mine was $20 so I went for it.

Last edited:

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
This is all very confusing. The post question was about Chamaecyparis thyoides. Everyone since seems to be talking about true cedrus, atlas or deodora.
Did I miss something?
Ian

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
re: your response

This is all very confusing. The post question was about Chamaecyparis thyoides. Everyone since seems to be talking about true cedrus, atlas or deodora.
Did I miss something?
Ian

Ian,
You did not miss anything and are completely correct about the subject of the post being
Chamaecyparis thyoides and NOT Cedrus proper. Here is a shot of its foliage; does anybody
else see potential for another bonsai species here? I do. Even if they do seem to be rather
upright in growth habit the branching tends to join the stem at nearly perfect angles for
bonsai development.
pb023675.jpg

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I had a C. thyoides bonsai many years ago. It was a very large (close to 3') collected tree, most likely from somewhere in southern New England. I believe they can make great bonsai. They are very cold tolerant and really do need full sun...they're naturally found in swampy exposed wetlands where othere species can't survive. The foliage was similar C. obtusa, and I suspect needs to be treated as such when pruning and training. I didn't have mine long enough after the initial styling to figure that out...it died about two years after I acquired it, most likely semi related to sleep deprivation after my second child came home from the hospital:p. It was a joy to wire as the branches are very flexible. If you can find one with a good trunk, or better yet a collected tree, I'd go for it.

Last edited:

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had a C. thyoides bonsai many years ago. It was a very large (close to 3') collected tree, most likely from somewhere in southern New England. I believe they can make great bonsai. They are very cold tolerant and really do need full sun...their naturally found in swampy exposed wetlands where othere species can't survive. The foliage was similar C. obtusa, and I suspect needs to be treated as such when pruning and training. I didn't have mine long enough after the initial styling to figure that out...it died about two years after I acquired it, most likely semi related to sleep deprivation after my second child came home from the hospital:p. It was a joy to wire as the branches are very flexible. If you can find one with a good trunk, or better yet a collected tree, I'd go for it.

Thanks for the reply and advice. :D You did bring up the trunk; unfortunately, all that I have available are pot grown around 4 feet and straight-trunked as the utility poles they are sometimes cut for. :( But I will work with that.
Maybe I should have used some of its other names to start this thread. It might have avoided some confusion.
This tree is also known as:
Atlantic white-cedar
southern white-cedar
white-cedar
swamp-cedar
false-cedar

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We still all want to know what the pine cone treatment is!:p

Barry, I have an atlas cedar, it is very picky about timing on repotting, get it early before the new white roots start. If you do it later, it may drop all it's leaves, if so keep it humid, and it'll grow new whorls.
Sorry for the detour away from the thread...

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My bad, thought he was talking about cedrus atlantica cultivar, now I know why I've never heard of it :)

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ya, we call them white cedar in my neck of the woods.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did I miss something?
Ian

The confusion is my fault. I didn't look carefully at the botanical name. The botanical name of an atlas cear is Cedrus atlantica and since there was no picture, I was fooled. Sorry for the confusion.

Evilman626

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Im extremely curious after reading this thread. What exactly is the pine cone treatment?

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pine Cone Treatment:

Okay; I had no idea I was going to upset some people by using
a technique I thought was common knowledge. I apologize. I am
working on a write up of this method. And will post it as soon as
it is complete.

Evilman626

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You didn't upset anyone were just wondering what were missing out on.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pine cone technique:

This is really just a modified ground layering technique.
Done correctly your lower roots will "air prune" while the
roots move up. I use it on everything that is rock hard
root bound. But here is an explanation of the technique.
Hope it helps someone else.

http://adventuresinmyoldgarden.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/pine-cone-technique/

a.

Top Bottom