Cork Bark Black Pine

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello guys!

£70 for this cork bark, do you think it's a good deal?
Depends if tag is hiding bad ugly graft And tree too small for 70 pounds. Also suspect trunk hid by branches is straight boring stick.
If not, how would you pick a cork bark bonsai?
Would get bigger tree having more character and ground level graft if any.
Do you think it's a good time (autumn) to be buying bonsai?
ANY time is good to buy Bonsai🥳.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like the tag is covering the part necessary to decide. You want to ensure the graft is low and inconspicuous.
Doesn’t matter when you buy a tree so long as you can care for it. Pines don’t last long inside, so it will need to be outside.

gapoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
IMG_3106.JPG

I was actually thinking that this is the best trunk compared to the other trees on display. What do you guys think?

Mike Westervelt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you picked the best one, assuming as previously stated there isn't an ugly graft union under the tag, price is fair if no surprises under the tag.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I think the one on the right and the one on the left both look pretty good. I pay double that price to for something much less mature in the US. I'd buy both if I were you.
And autumn is probably the best time to buy a pine because it is the time the trees store up energy for the next season. Buy now, load them up with fertilizer and wait for the spring.

gapoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

gapoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I like the far right one (out of the 3)

price is great
I think you picked the best one, assuming as previously stated there isn't an ugly graft union under the tag, price is fair if no surprises under the tag.
I think the one on the right and the one on the left both look pretty good. I pay double that price to for something much less mature in the US. I'd buy both if I were you.
And autumn is probably the best time to buy a pine because it is the time the trees store up energy for the next season. Buy now, load them up with fertilizer and wait for the spring.
WOW really good price!
Looks like the tag is covering the part necessary to decide. You want to ensure the graft is low and inconspicuous.
Doesn’t matter when you buy a tree so long as you can care for it. Pines don’t last long inside, so it will need to be outside.

Thank you all for your feedback. I ended up getting the one on the left - it looks like it has more growth, and could possibly the healthiest. I am very new to bonsai so I would rather get the one that is least killable. For now.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Paid then go home right away before they call the cop on you.... 70 is a steal.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
£70 for this cork bark, do you think it's a good deal?
tree too small for 70 pounds.
price is great
price is fair if no surprises under the tag.
I pay double that price to for something much less mature in the US.
Looks like these trees are discounted quite a bit (from GBP 125 to GBP 69) as an end of season reduction.
WOW really good price!
70 is a steal.

@Potawatomi13, where are you buying trees for so cheap?

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Potawatomi13, where are you buying trees for so cheap?
Probably virtual tree or imagination tree.... They are free so any amount of money is too much. Nothing against Potawatomi but I remember there are many threads here that people wanted to see his trees but I never have seen a single tree posted.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’d be more concerned with caring for a cork bark JBP as a newbie in a place like London. I think your biggest struggle will be keeping the vigor up and keeping it disease free. Cork bark JBP tend to be less vigorous than regular JBP and like LOTS of sun and prefer a drier climate. Most growers only decandle once every 2 years, and all dependent on how it’s been growing. I’m not master on pines at all, but definitely look into care for them, buy a few books, and research threads here to get an idea of care going forward.

gapoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I’d be more concerned with caring for a cork bark JBP as a newbie in a place like London. I think your biggest struggle will be keeping the vigor up and keeping it disease free. Cork bark JBP tend to be less vigorous than regular JBP and like LOTS of sun and prefer a drier climate. Most growers only decandle once every 2 years, and all dependent on how it’s been growing. I’m not master on pines at all, but definitely look into care for them, buy a few books, and research threads here to get an idea of care going forward.
Thank you for your insights.

I'm not going to do anything with it but let it grow and grow. When it is strong and bigger, I might do something but for now, repotting might not even be on the table.

Also, are books that important, or will the forums be adequate? Will you recommend some books for me?

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Also, are books that important, or will the forums be adequate? Will you recommend some books for me?
In this day and age, books aren’t absolutely essential to have, but there are many out there that are extremely valuable since it’s usually put in a concise, direct way. I’m currently reading through Growing Pines for Bonsai by Julian Adams, which has been an amazing resource as he breaks down the pine’s cycles, how to handle single-flush vs double-flush pines, what techniques to implement when, and just overall reasons for the techniques. I’m not sure if it’s available across the pond, but definitely recommend it. Bonsai Today has a Master Series for Pines book that might be more readily available. This is on my list to read next. Definitely recommend getting into a local bonsai club. You’ll find fewer resources more valuable than people in your area growing trees and sharing their experiences and expertise in YOUR climate. And of course, check out the hundreds of threads on here. This place is one of many invaluable resources at your disposal.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I haven’t found much in books on corkers. Old International Bonsai from 1979-1980 had good articles if you can find them. They’re long out of print. Internet is probably a better bet. Here are a few resources.

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/corkbark-jbp-‘taihei’.38693/

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Depends if tag is hiding bad ugly graft And tree too small for 70 pounds. Also suspect trunk hid by branches is straight boring stick.
I agree with the statement about what could be hiding behind the tag, but I don't think you are right about the price. Lesser trees sell for much more on the auctions, and smaller pre-bonsai trees as well from reputable sellers.

This is a very nice pre-bonsai, priced at $95, which is more than 70 GPB. JBP are built, but the base on that tree he first posted is worth much more than 70 pounds.

1697907672369.png

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice buy. 70 pounds seems like a decent price.
I paid $90-150.00 a piece for my corkbarks. They are a bit more mature but not too much bigger than what you posted.

Top Bottom