Cork Bark Black Pine

gapoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
In this day and age, books aren’t absolutely essential to have, but there are many out there that are extremely valuable since it’s usually put in a concise, direct way. I’m currently reading through Growing Pines for Bonsai by Julian Adams, which has been an amazing resource as he breaks down the pine’s cycles, how to handle single-flush vs double-flush pines, what techniques to implement when, and just overall reasons for the techniques. I’m not sure if it’s available across the pond, but definitely recommend it. Bonsai Today has a Master Series for Pines book that might be more readily available. This is on my list to read next. Definitely recommend getting into a local bonsai club. You’ll find fewer resources more valuable than people in your area growing trees and sharing their experiences and expertise in YOUR climate. And of course, check out the hundreds of threads on here. This place is one of many invaluable resources at your disposal.

I actually need to learn so many things about Pines and Maples and I feel like I cannot keep up! I read a book about general bonsai and I've learned some things I haven't read from anyone's article here. I might continue looking for books, but I'm unfortunately limited to digital copies as I do not have the money to buy the physical books.

I haven’t found much in books on corkers. Old International Bonsai from 1979-1980 had good articles if you can find them. They’re long out of print. Internet is probably a better bet. Here are a few resources.

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/corkbark-jbp-‘taihei’.38693/

Thank you so much for these resources! Your work looks amazing. I feel like I wouldn't be able to give justice to my tree the more I look at these good looking trees.

I agree with the statement about what could be hiding behind the tag, but I don't think you are right about the price. Lesser trees sell for much more on the auctions, and smaller pre-bonsai trees as well from reputable sellers.

This is a very nice pre-bonsai, priced at $95, which is more than 70 GPB. JBP are built, but the base on that tree he first posted is worth much more than 70 pounds.

View attachment 513972

Thanks for the feedback. If only I had more money I would get more.

gapoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It has finally arrived, soil is very wet. It has been with the courier since Friday (today is Monday afternoon).

I just noticed that its needles has a lighter shade of green, almost yellow green, compared to the Japanese White Pine I have. Also it has a few needles which has completely turned to yellow. I read somewhere that some cultivars have this light shade of green.

Would you, experts, tell me if this tree is healthy enough to survive winter in my novice hands?

EDITED_231023_014.JPG

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
It has finally arrived, soil is very wet. It has been with the courier since Friday (today is Monday afternoon).

I just noticed that its needles has a lighter shade of green, almost yellow green, compared to the Japanese White Pine I have. Also it has a few needles which has completely turned to yellow. I read somewhere that some cultivars have this light shade of green.

Would you, experts, tell me if this tree is healthy enough to survive winter in my novice hands?

View attachment 514264
The yellow needles are likely old needles that are being shed now. The soil looks mucky so I'd be careful with watering. Pines are very easy to overwater and go down from there.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The shade of green on the needles on cork bark jbp I've found to have quite the varience. My Hayabusa variety is the most lime green out of all mine no matter how happy I try and make it.

gapoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Where do you plan to site it for winter?

Our winters in London are usually really mild, but wet. If it snows, it only snows for 1 to 2 days.

I was planning to put them (black pine, white pine, and acer) on my roofed balcony, close to the glass wall between my living room and the balcony. I was thinking that this will keep them away from harsh wind, snow, and rain. What I am wondering about though is if the small pots they are in are enough to protect their roots from 9a-10 zone winter. Shall I wrap them? Someone on this forum already said that I don't need to protect it as 9a/10 winter is fairly mild.

The yellow needles are likely old needles that are being shed now. The soil looks mucky so I'd be careful with watering. Pines are very easy to overwater and go down from there.

I'm keeping a close eye on them. My JBP seems thirsty even when autumn. I find my self watering it every 3 days - I only water it when the top soil is dry, and hard. The acer though, it seems like it is sleeping as it has been a week since I watered it and it is still moist.

The shade of green on the needles on cork bark jbp I've found to have quite the varience. My Hayabusa variety is the most lime green out of all mine no matter how happy I try and make it.

I don't even know what variety I have got. It looks lime green - I don't know if it is good or bad. Hopefully it's just healthy.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Our winters in London are usually really mild, but wet. If it snows, it only snows for 1 to 2 days.

I was planning to put them (black pine, white pine, and acer) on my roofed balcony, close to the glass wall between my living room and the balcony. I was thinking that this will keep them away from harsh wind, snow, and rain. What I am wondering about though is if the small pots they are in are enough to protect their roots from 9a-10 zone winter. Shall I wrap them? Someone on this forum already said that I don't need to protect it as 9a/10 winter is fairly mild.

I'm keeping a close eye on them. My JBP seems thirsty even when autumn. I find my self watering it every 3 days - I only water it when the top soil is dry, and hard. The acer though, it seems like it is sleeping as it has been a week since I watered it and it is still moist.

I don't even know what variety I have got. It looks lime green - I don't know if it is good or bad. Hopefully it's just healthy.

For some reason, I had thought that London winter temperatures put it in Zone 8. Regardless, it sounds like your winters aren't cold. Put them close to the edge where they'll be exposed to rain and snow. If the soil gets too wet, move them back under cover a bit more. To the extent possible, also keep them shaded, especially since a balcony won't buffer the roots against temperature fluctuations in the same way that solid ground would. Wind is a problem for trees frozen for extended periods and therefore without access to liquid water, but for trees with thawed soil and plenty of water, I don't see why it would be a concern, and it might be a benefit, helping to dry out your soil just a little bit between rainy days.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Are those sold at Herons Bonsai?
Looks like these trees are discounted quite a bit (from GBP 125 to GBP 69) as an end of season reduction.
Link: https://www.herons.co.uk/Pinus-thunbergii-Japanese-Black-Pine-QB
Not to hijack this thread but there's a tasty chinese juniper on there for £195.

Somebody please buy it before I spend more money bonsai - the missus will go crazy if another tree arrives in the post.

gapoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Not to hijack this thread but there's a tasty chinese juniper on there for £195.

Somebody please buy it before I spend more money bonsai - the missus will go crazy if another tree arrives in the post.

How do we deal with partners who express disapproval to impulsive buying of trees / plants? I might need to learn this as well.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How do we deal with partners who express disapproval to impulsive buying of trees / plants? I might need to learn this as well.

Set aside a tree-buying budget, and don't exceed the budget. You can buy trees on impulse without upsetting anyone so long as there's money set aside for it in advance.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I never tell her, I just sneak them in when she’s not looking!

On the subject of bonsai prices, I always feel you get much better prices at bonsai nurseries in person, and most usually offer a discount (without asking) if you just strike up a conversation! I think they generally want bonsai to go to fellow bonsai enthusiasts with a real affliction for the hobby

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

That should work. Peter Warren is near you and said JBP struggle a bit because of too much rain and not enough sun. You’ll want to adjust soil accordingly at repotting time and try to provide as much light as possible. In the winter, I noticed my corkbark black pines would suffer if we had a bunch very sunny days if the pot was mulched in and remained frozen.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
too much rain and not enough sun

Was that specifically with regard to winter storage, or was he talking about the UK climate in general?

I ask because I'm aware of some who overwinter their trees, including conifers, in total darkness, and the comment about too little sun would suggest that's a bad idea.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Was that specifically with regard to winter storage, or was he talking about the UK climate in general?

I ask because I'm aware of some who overwinter their trees, including conifers, in total darkness, and the comment about too little sun would suggest that's a bad idea.
In general. However, I can’t think total darkness is a great idea for winter storage of evergreens.

gapoy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
In general. However, I can’t think total darkness is a great idea for winter storage of evergreens.

So do they hibernate as well or do they continue to grow and utilise water and fertiliser during winter months?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So do they hibernate as well or do they continue to grow and utilise water and fertiliser during winter months?
They won’t grow, but will still consume water. You will notice the buds elongating a little as the weather gets warmer.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
May notice when pruning tree has Fall/winter growth rings showing activity all year long. H2O always needed or tree is dead. Unless buried in snow personally never will put tree in darkness.

Top Bottom