Cork Bark Japanese Black Pines

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It's interesting...and always an option...once. :p
It could become a better option down the road as branches grow longer and they can be pulled down a bit.
Problem is, if I did it now, it would look like every loblolly pine in the Southeast US, and I wouldn't live long enough to see it cork up.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's interesting...and always an option...once. :p
It could become a better option down the road as branches grow longer and they can be pulled down a bit.
Problem is, if I did it now, it would look like every loblolly pine in the Southeast US, and I wouldn't live long enough to see it cork up.

Well that is always the challenge with pines, isn't it :) I like this design because in the back of my mind I am seeing you shortening up those needles by 50% or more, and you could always lean it a tiny bit more to the right...

Of course this is also where I see it ending up AFTER you are done with those lower branches. :)

As far as corking goes, my cork pines seem to cork all by themselves (even lower down) without having huge trunk growth. Might just be my pines...

bonsaiguru

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Does anyone know if Dave just sells to from his place or does it still do internet orders? I meet Dave through eBay, but I began buying from him directly. I bought some beauties from him . The last time I heard of him was when he needed to move. I tried to email him, but it was bounce back as invalid.

By the way Dave is by far one of best grafters in the USA...! I have never found someone that can do what he has done with cork pines. I wish he was still selling on eBay. If someone does not mind, please forward my email to him so that I can contact him and see how he is doing.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Does anyone know if Dave just sells to from his place or does it still do internet orders? I meet Dave through eBay, but I began buying from him directly. I bought some beauties from him . The last time I heard of him was when he needed to move. I tried to email him, but it was bounce back as invalid.

By the way Dave is by far one of best grafters in the USA...! I have never found someone that can do what he has done with cork pines. I wish he was still selling on eBay. If someone does not mind, please forward my email to him so that I can contact him and see how he is doing.

Vic and I live about 30 mins from his new place.... he is not selling online any longer ..... PM me your email address and I will get it to him....

and I will second him being one of the best cork bark grafters in the USA.... he isn't grafting currently (actually not in the last 7yrs) as he has no green house at the new place... however I believe he plans to start doing it again as soon as he can .... as I said before he is simply one of the nicest and most cheerful people you will ever meet.... makes my day just to chat with him.....

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree that Dave is one of the best cork bark grafters. The grafts on my two Ondae are invisible.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
pine1.jpg

Here is a shohin Nishiki Matsu in training, photo taken shortly after decandling. The new needles came out 1/2-3/4"!
Tree is 6.5" from soil, 3.5" base, 2.5"trunk, 6"Ikkou red clay pot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Fred. Still has a ways to go improving ramification and density, but everythings in the right place for a good future! Had it about a year or so, picked up with another Nishiki that has since been sold.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks, Alex. Still has a ways to go before its as nice as your new Azalea ;-)
This one came from Jim also.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think you're thinking of another Alex. lol -- I wish I had a nice azalea to speak of...but you can always accidentally ship one to me if you like. :D

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Updating...
Kyokko Yatsabusa shown...
Taihei is in the ground after an unsatisfactory and frustrating attempt to style.
hachi gen is still tall, for now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 140

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I understand your frustration with corkers, Brian, but this Taihei has come a very long way since you got it. It's taking shape and looks pretty good.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good year for the Taihei. May be able to do some work on it next year. Need to make another attempt at grafting something into that long straight section of bare trunk.
image.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's one I found lost year. Not much, and of course it has a noticeable graft. Corked up in that area as well, so it looks pretty nasty!!
I don't mind, I suppose, and the uneducated masses that pay me a visit really don't know what their looking at anyway.
From what I've read, it'll out growth the graft and bid the garden adieu....

DSC00261.JPG

DSC00347.JPG

DSC00544.JPG

DSC00545.JPG

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lance, you should be fine with the graft on this one for a long, long time. Since it scion and stock are both JBP the cambium layers grow at pretty much the same rate. It's just the bark that grows at a different rate.

The Japanese White Pine on Black Pine stock are the ones where the graft Union is likely to fail at some point. The cambium layers grow at different rates, and eventually disconnect. I think BVF had one do that to him.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The Japanese White Pine on Black Pine stock are the ones where the graft Union is likely to fail at some point. The cambium layers grow at different rates, and eventually disconnect. I think BVF had one do that to him.
I lost a corker that way, I believe, but not a JWP.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When a graft is going to fail will you see signs at the union first? Or will the tree die first without indication the graft is failing? I would think something would be noticeable at the union but have no experience with this occurring...yet

Top Bottom