Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Sachalin = P. ghlenni
Ezo = P. jezoensis
From http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/malus.htm

Picea (Spruce) S\M\-50ø\RG\Ls\B Evergreen trees and shrubs. Easy to grow conifers. Many species and varieties including many dwarfs that are invaluable for landscape and rock garden use. We grow dwarf types with a few exceptions which will be full size trees as described below.

A word of caution about Yezo spruce and Sachalin spruce: There is a great deal of confusion surrounding the naming of these two species, especially in the use of the common names. Many bonsai artists speak of 'Yezo Spruce' when the plant to which they are referring is actually P. glehnii. We cannot be responsible for how people use common names. We guarantee that our plants are in fact named correctly botanically, so please try to determine which species it is that you would like to order. In general, P. glehnii is the smaller, slower growing species of the two with needle length about 1/2 inch, and dark green. It can be difficult to grow. Most of the time, when people ask for "Ezo Spruce" they really want P. glehnii. Picea jezoensis, also called Ezo Spruce or Edo Spruce or Yeddo Spruce, is slightly larger, faster growing with green needles from about 3/4 to 1 inch long. Picea jezoensis hondoensis, or Hondo Spruce, has slightly bluish green needles of about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long and is the fastest growing of the three, and more widely adaptable. Picea orientalis actually has the shortest needles of the three, and grows strongly and densely despite its diminuative habit. The branchlets are a bit more angular than the others.

7065 Picea glehnii (Sachalin Spruce) S\PS\M\-30ø\LS\B A traditional bonsai plant with very short bright green needles (about 1/2inch). Very slow growing, four year old plants may only be 6 inches tall. Exfoliating chocolate brown bark develops as the tree ages. These plants are seedlings and are very difficult to find in this country. See the notes under Picea for more information.
Specimen only, please inquire

7070 Picea jezoensis hondoensis (Yezo Spruce, Hondo Spruce) S\PS\M\-50ø\B Long used for bonsai in Japan, this plant is difficult to find in the US. It has very short blue green needles and is used for formal upright bonsai and for group plantings. The foliage is slightly bluer and larger than the species P. jezoensis. See the notes under Picea for more information. Seedlings.
Discontinued

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Below is a P. Jezoensis originally from Brent and purchased from BVF. Next year or the next it will go through another hard styling session. In Japan it's not used very much at all. All I have seen used there were P. Glehnii. The foliage is very tight. Great for small bonsai but I did not like it in the bigger sized trees. Too neat and tidy for my taste.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
appreciate the pictures and comments. I dropped Michael Hagedorn an email, who has agreed to give me some basics to work with. :)

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
A really nice native tree that's comparable to Ezo is Engelmann Spruce. Randy Knight has quite a few for sale every year, and Michael definitely knows them well.

Top Bottom