Growing Japanese Cork Bark Black Pine from Seeds

CorkBarkPine

Seedling
Reaction score
I got a Fuji, a Tsukasa and a Kasuga cork bark pine from Steve Pilacik in 2005. They were grafted on Japanese black pines. They were 5 years old at the time. I just grow them to enjoy their barks. In early 2020, I started growing the pines from seeds collected from Fuji and Tsukasa trees. I was able to get over 50 pine trees from seeds. After 3 years, most of them still look like regular black pine trees except one. I hope it will turn out a cork bark tree.

Attachments

• IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1638.jpg
    IMG_1638.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1639.jpg
    IMG_1639.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3199.jpg
    IMG_3199.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3200.jpg
    IMG_3200.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 87

CorkBarkPine

Seedling
Reaction score
After the seedlings were about two months old, I was also experimenting with cutting. I cut the roots and left about 1 inch trunk. I dipped it in root hormone. I tried on 7 seedlings. They all survived. However, 3 of the trees died last year due to heat and not enough watering when I was on vacation. The remaining 4 are all growing healthy but at different rate.
Daryl

Attachments

• IMG_4011.JPG
    IMG_4011.JPG
    307.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3855.JPG
    IMG_3855.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3856.JPG
    IMG_3856.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3857.JPG
    IMG_3857.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_3858.JPG
    IMG_3858.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 73

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Great experiment! I look forward to the results. My experience with cork bark JBP cultivars has been that they are much weaker than standard JBP. I hope you can grow one from seed that has similar characteristics - but perhaps is a little stronger!

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
After the seedlings were about two months old, I was also experimenting with cutting. I cut the roots and left about 1 inch trunk. I dipped it in root hormone. I tried on 7 seedlings. They all survived. However, 3 of the trees died last year due to heat and not enough watering when I was on vacation. The remaining 4 are all growing healthy but at different rate.
Daryl
Awesome work! I was thinking about doing the root cutting method as well. Which rooting hormones did you used? I’ve had success with clonex.

CorkBarkPine

Seedling
Reaction score
Fuji cork bark pine, parent tree.

Attachments

• IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1624.jpg
    IMG_1624.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1632.jpg
    IMG_1632.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 83

CorkBarkPine

Seedling
Reaction score
Tsukasa cork bark parent tree.

Attachments

• IMG_1612.jpg
    IMG_1612.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1625.jpg
    IMG_1625.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1633.jpg
    IMG_1633.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 72

CorkBarkPine

Seedling
Reaction score
Katsuga cork bark parent tree.
Awesome work! I was thinking about doing the root cutting method as well. Which rooting hormones did you used? I’ve had success with clonex.
I used TakeRoot from GardenSafe. It appeared to work well.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cool! Do you know what the father plant was? Because if the trait is recessive, and the father plant is a regular JBP, it might take you another few generations to find a phenotype with corking bark.
For the people not familiar with Mendelian genetics; we usually write down a recessive trait as a small letter, and a dominant trait as a capitalized letter. Mendel was one of the first to make breeding squares to predict the outcome of plant hybridization in - if memory serves me right - pea plant flower colors.

c = cork bark, written down as recessive. R = Regular bark, written down as dominant. I expect these two to be the case.
cR x RR -> hybridized makes -> Rc (trait present but not expressed), cR (trait present but not expressed), RR (trait not present) and RR (trait not present).
The first generation will tell us if the trait is dominant or recessive either way, which is awesome to know because it would essentially lay the foundation for producing more corkbark cultivars.
We would just need more people to take the time to go onto the next generation: Two recessives combined make a whole new balance!
cR x Rc -> cc, cR, Rc, and RR. That means 1/4 will be true cork bark. If there are pollen producing males in that batch, you'll be able to breed those with the already owned female cork bark pines to get 100% cork bark offspring. Because you can select for the cork (cc) and cross those with plants you already know to have cork (cc) and this makes cc x cc -> cc, cc, cc and cc. A 100% corking offspring.

If cork bark is a dominant trait, you would see it in the first generation, but maybe less expressed: two competing dominant traits might inhibit each other. Which is also a cool finding!

In a couple years I plan on diving into the explorative genetics of cork bark with my own money or maybe with a grant from some kind of bonsai society or the Japanese government - my guess is that it'll take about 4000 dollars, donations are welcome. So I'm watching this with great interest! If you have solid - and I mean, absolutely 1000% sure - documentation on which seedling comes from which parent, please send me a PM @CorkBarkPine because I want to exchange some mail with you.

CorkBarkPine

Seedling
Reaction score
Cool! Do you know what the father plant was? Because if the trait is recessive, and the father plant is a regular JBP, it might take you another few generations to find a phenotype with corking bark.
For the people not familiar with Mendelian genetics; we usually write down a recessive trait as a small letter, and a dominant trait as a capitalized letter. Mendel was one of the first to make breeding squares to predict the outcome of plant hybridization in - if memory serves me right - pea plant flower colors.

c = cork bark, written down as recessive. R = Regular bark, written down as dominant. I expect these two to be the case.
cR x RR -> hybridized makes -> Rc (trait present but not expressed), cR (trait present but not expressed), RR (trait not present) and RR (trait not present).
The first generation will tell us if the trait is dominant or recessive either way, which is awesome to know because it would essentially lay the foundation for producing more corkbark cultivars.
We would just need more people to take the time to go onto the next generation: Two recessives combined make a whole new balance!
cR x Rc -> cc, cR, Rc, and RR. That means 1/4 will be true cork bark. If there are pollen producing males in that batch, you'll be able to breed those with the already owned female cork bark pines to get 100% cork bark offspring. Because you can select for the cork (cc) and cross those with plants you already know to have cork (cc) and this makes cc x cc -> cc, cc, cc and cc. A 100% corking offspring.

If cork bark is a dominant trait, you would see it in the first generation, but maybe less expressed: two competing dominant traits might inhibit each other. Which is also a cool finding!

In a couple years I plan on diving into the explorative genetics of cork bark with my own money or maybe with a grant from some kind of bonsai society or the Japanese government - my guess is that it'll take about 4000 dollars, donations are welcome. So I'm watching this with great interest! If you have solid - and I mean, absolutely 1000% sure - documentation on which seedling comes from which parent, please send me a PM @CorkBarkPine because I want to exchange some mail with you.
I started experimenting to grow pine trees from the seeds in 2020.
I was able to grow over 50 seedlings from several cones collected from the Fuji cork bark parent tree.
However, I was able to grow only 3 seedlings from only 1 cone collected from the Tsukasa cork bark parent tree.

The parent trees are grafted on Japanese black pines and are about 18 years old.
The seedlings are now three years old.

The tree in the pictures below is coming from the Fuji parent.
This is the only tree that appears developing some corks. I am hoping that is the case.

Attachments

• IMG_3200.jpg
    IMG_3200.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3199.jpg
    IMG_3199.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 62

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
The cork-barks had to come from *somewhere*: that you have a bunch of corkers should increase the odds of getting the cork-causing genes stacked up. In general, I think that growing the seeds of unusual pine sports could be worthwhile. If I remember correctly, 'Zuisho' was found as a seedling of 'Nasu', which is a semi-yatsubusa variety. http://www.stanleyandsons.com/product/pin-3490/pinus-parviflora-zuisho.html The late Dewire also found a few interesting varieties in batches of seed, in particular the interesting cork-bark 'Wabi Sabi San' https://web.archive.org/web/20191217055952/https://www.wabisabibonsai.com/conifers

CorkBarkPine

Seedling
Reaction score
Root Cutting Experiment:
The pictures below show the remaining of the 4 surviving root cutting seedlings (of out 7). The other three seedlings died during the hot summer last year. These seedlings are three years old from the Fuji cork bark parent.

Attachments

• IMG_3264.jpg
    IMG_3264.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3263.jpg
    IMG_3263.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3262.jpg
    IMG_3262.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3261.jpg
    IMG_3261.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3259.jpg
    IMG_3259.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3856.JPG
    IMG_3856.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3855.JPG
    IMG_3855.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3265.jpg
    IMG_3265.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 57

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Root Cutting Experiment:
The pictures below show the remaining of the 4 surviving root cutting seedlings (of out 7). The other three seedlings died during the hot summer last year. These seedlings are three years old from the Fuji cork bark parent.

This is dumb question, but have to ask. Do you continue to grow the half with roots or the top half with needles.

bdmatt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This is dumb question, but have to ask. Do you continue to grow the half with roots or the top half with needles.
You continue to grow the top half with needles. The half with roots don't have buds or anything to shoot new needles from, so they'll die. Heres a really good video on seedling cutting if you need it:

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
You continue to grow the top half with needles. The half with roots don't have buds or anything to shoot new needles from, so they'll die. Heres a really good video on seedling cutting if you need it:
Thank you, can definitely use it

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was told cork bark black pines are caused by a virus. I dont think the trait passes down in seed.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, I was told it by a master who studied in japan and has imported cork bark jbp so... take it for what it is.

Top Bottom