Juniperus horizontalis -Youngstown-

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Just another documentation of a 5$ Lowe’s plant.
kind of butchers this one on the initial attack, but it seams to be doing ok.
When purchased. 5EC044F0-EA24-4AC2-B1E5-EC32161160E2.jpegACBE32F5-9708-4FAF-B52C-2B3272B1835E.jpeg
after initial slaughter.
DB3920A1-A1B4-42DD-8F16-66C08AAA587C.jpeg
coming back a bit. EBE7F3AE-6EB5-4E1D-831C-4DC6321A47EA.jpeg85B41E4F-1C79-4685-B328-208AD64F6695.jpeg
Advice and criticism always encouraged!😁

6unnie

Seed
Reaction score
I love it! I'm new to bonsai and I can't wait to try this.. or at the very least get some practice trying different techniques. :)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looking nice, Will!

I’m jealous of everyone’s ability to just walk in to box stores at this time... I TOTALLY understand, though... l

I’m curbside... can’t even go IN places like that until I get “cleared” by my GI Hepatologist.

As I was scrolling down through your pics, I was all, “I hope he leaves more foliage on those lower branches in attempt to balance their thickness... aaaand you did! 🤓

nice tree!

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Looking nice, Will!

I’m jealous of everyone’s ability to just walk in to box stores at this time... I TOTALLY understand, though... l

I’m curbside... can’t even go IN places like that until I get “cleared” by my GI Hepatologist.

As I was scrolling down through your pics, I was all, “I hope he leaves more foliage on those lower branches in attempt to balance their thickness... aaaand you did! 🤓

nice tree!
Thank you for your kind words! 😆

Well if it makes you feel any better, most box stores are void of any live trees at this time.
Some have their Christmas Norfolk pine stock out, but not much else.
Ive been working on our house -for what feels like forever now- so I’m in Lowe’s, menards, and the depot a fair amount.
Haven’t even seen the little DAS in bows yet. I’m sure anytime though.

Take care man, I hope your 100% soon!

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Little update. Seems to be healthy. Refined some wiring and a light prune. 😁987C40B7-E254-4EC0-BC8A-9CB8FBD5E4B4.jpegBFD600CB-9047-486B-A892-4BA784E6F990.jpeg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You can cut them at their origin (of a length of ramification), or just twist & pull the last segment with your fingertips.

BK6

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked up four rug style junipers. all in good health. Im in ohio, its warm now but has been cold. When would be the best time of year to do:

initial repot into a better training container?

best time to wire and clean them up?

it seems so hard to find the answer because everyone has different situations. These trees will not see a greenhouse, will be oitside all winter, south east ohio.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I picked up four rug style junipers. all in good health. Im in ohio, its warm now but has been cold. When would be the best time of year to do:

initial repot into a better training container?

best time to wire and clean them up?

it seems so hard to find the answer because everyone has different situations. These trees will not see a greenhouse, will be oitside all winter, south east ohio.
Could do some wiring now. Wait for early spring for repot.

Reactions: BK6
Top Bottom