1969 Pontiac GTO "The Judge", Testors/Lincoln Mint, 1/24

gto-cover-shot-2.jpg

...couldn't resist this magazine "cover shot" to open...

gto-front-left-people-view.jpg

gto-look-no-headlights.jpg

No, the headlights don't work, but the "open' and "closed grilles are interchangeable and easily tacked in position...

gto-low-front-right.jpg

gto-low-right-rear.jpg

gto-right-profile.jpg

gto-low-left-rear-door-open.jpg

gto-low-front-left-aggressive.jpg

gto-hood-open-L.jpg

gto-hood-open-R.jpg

Not sure what brought it on, but I've been looking for a Judge to add to my collection for years. I never managed to find the Monogram 1/24 kit on this side of the pond, but a saved search on eBay threw up this Lincoln Mint kit a few months ago. It's definitely a kit... 100+ parts across almost a dozen trees... it just happens that the body and opening panels are diecast and pre-painted/printed. I don't know if it's ever been available as a ready-built, but it has a lot more parts than the average Welly diecast I've disassembled for rework. It's turned out to be very useful to have a kit that doesn't require a spray booth or too many tools so that I can build it indoors at the dining table on evenings when I'm dog-sitting or the workshop is too cold! The fit is very, err.... precise (read you have to clean everything up perfectly and there's some fettling to get everything in the right place, but when you get it right, it goes together very well). As ever with these things, it's a shame that they don't give you a few extra screws in the pack (four types in this one). I could have done with using longer ones in the boot hinge, which doesn't quite sit right because the short screw on one side isn't gripping tight enough. But I think it's a striking model, and captures the lines of the beast very well (I found a handy link with many useful pictures here: https://www.stlouiscarmuseum.com/vehicles/897/1969-pontiac-gto-judge-ram-air-iv). I'm not sure that the Monogram kit would have resulted in any better a model, and I couldn't have built that indoors!

best,

M.

• Like 21

Mopar muscle on BM! Whatever next?

It looks great, Matt. I've not seen LIncoln mint stuff for sale in years, so a good find. 

I built the Monogram one a long time ago, I think it turned out alright and wasn't difficult to build.

These could be ideal Winter/cold manshed evening builds. I'll have to have a look on the bay!

That does look really nice. Scary to think of putting that much power down through such skinny tyres too - you'll probably tell me they're cross-ply into the bargain.

The interchangeable headlights are a nice touch too.

• Thanks 1

@Spiny  thanks! I think the tyres may not be strictly accurate… take a look at the Goodyear Polyglas ones on the link to the real car. They’re a lot beefier! But the way they fit on the wheel, with a solid plastic core in the tube, means they can’t just be swapped with ones from the spares box, even if I had any that fitted (I have Polyglas tires but they are 1/25…)

best,

M.

• Like 1

It's nice to see a Judge on display, they do have a certain presence don't they?

I had a stock 1970 GTO, 400 with auto, back in the day. It was always in need of rear tires. A proper Judge would have kept the local tire fitters happy indeed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Niiiice!  Pretty unusual find, precisely the era and style that blows my frock up.  The fit and finish on the body is really good for a diecast and the end result is an excellent model.

I'm lucky enough to have an indoor mancave (typical third bedroom just a bit larger than a broom-cupboard) but can appreciate this would have been an ideal winter project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2023 at 9:25 PM, Spiny said:

Scary to think of putting that much power down through such skinny tyres too

That was my first thought when I saw it too. Great looking build.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...