Rightmark RMAA Problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have tried to download the RMAA software but when I try to install it I get a message saying the 'publisher is not verified' and the install then aborts a few seconds later with a message' 'cant' write C:\ . . . etc'

Is anybody else seen this?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend another analyzer package I can try?

I have tried to download the RMAA software but when I try to install it I get a message saying the 'publisher is not verified' and the install then aborts a few seconds later with a message' 'cant' write C:\ . . . etc'

Is anybody else seen this?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend another analyzer package I can try?

I have, right click on install file and choose run as administrator.

Hope it helps

Marko

Attachments

• RMAA.jpg
    RMAA.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 376
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have connected the line out on my DAC (Focusrite Scarlet Solo) to the line input and adjusted the output levels via RMAA to about -5 dB. Then I run the tests. The system asks me if I want to save the data and I then get an error that says 'Cannot find Sync signal . . . Try readjusting your input levels'

I am only using one of the line outs to drive the Line put.

If I set the line input level so the A-D is clipping, then I can save the data and get no error message. But, of course the results are horrendous.

Any ideas here on what I am doing wrong?

I have connected the line out on my DAC (Focusrite Scarlet Solo) to the line input and adjusted the output levels via RMAA to about -5 dB. Then I run the tests. The system asks me if I want to save the data and I then get an error that says 'Cannot find Sync signal . . . Try readjusting your input levels'

If I set the line input level so the A-D is clipping, then I can save the data and get no error message. But, of course the results are horrendous.

You have only one channel connect to input? Perhaps test file alternates between left and right channel.

Kind regards

Marko

Joined 2002
Paid Member
RMAA needs you to adjust the levels before you run tests. It needs around -2dBfs signal to correctly read the sync signal. It works fine with mono signal, I use it all the time.

The interface has a level setting interface that comes up when you run the tests. You need the two red squares to turn green or you get the sync signal error.

I find the best way to use RMAA is to use a small attenuator at the input side, set the input level to max, the output to a suitable level depending on the gain of the DUT, and when the level check interface comes up, adjust the attenuator for the correct level so the green lights come on.

The problem you will face is a ground loop, depending on the DUT as you are using the same soundcard for input and output. Some isolation is probably desirable, preferably galvanic, if you are trying to achieve maximum S/N ratio. Even with this basic rig - no separation - I get results good to -90dB. For more, isolation would be a good idea.

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks for the answers guys.

Basically I looped the output back to the input. There is a line level input attenuator and I am able to adjust the input as displayed on the spectrum analyzer from -90 dB to over FS. Even with the input at say -1 dB FS I still get the 'too low signal' warning. I used a patch cable to route both line outs ( i.e. Left and right) to the line input. Still get the same problem.

If I select mono mode, I get no signal on the spectrum analyzer.

I will try ARTA tomorrow - hopefully that will work.

I did use RMAA about 5 years ago and had no problems, so this is a bit perplexing for me.

I am using the ASIO drivers. Problem exists on 44/16 through to 24/96

Hi Bonsai,i'm using both RMAA ,ARTA under Win xp without any issue (ASIO drivers).
What operation system are you using?
Here is a loop test line out to line in.

Attachments

• RMAA 1.JPG
    RMAA 1.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 339
  • RMAA 2.JPG
    RMAA 2.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 302
  • RMAA 3.JPG
    RMAA 3.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 304
  • ARTA NEW.JPG
    ARTA NEW.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

Just about everything.

RMAA needs two operational channels, not one.

The reference level needs to be set within one or two dB.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Freeware version works fine with ASIO drivers.

Also, as you can see, works fine with a single input channel. This may be selected in the options below 'sound card', and select 'mono mode'.

RMAA is quite fiddly to use though, it took me a few attempts to get a working configuration sorted. I did make a lot of decisions based on the just the FFT until I got a handle on a working configuration.

Bonsai, can you provide a screenshot of your MixControl page? I am not 100% familiar with that interface because I don't have a Focusrite, but it might be simply a routing/mixing issue.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    60.9 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
"Just about everything."

Seems you are real expert then . . . indeed, in RMAA you can run it in mono mode because that is what I did 4 years ago. And, yes, I do know how to set levels ;)

I've downloaded ARTA, TrueRTA and they have similar problems - I cannot run a closed loop distortion test. On all of the packages I can get the spectrum analyzer up but not the generator part.

I tried it on 3 PC's - all have similar issues.

so, I will assume there is an isue in the ASIO drivers for the Focusrite soundcard or some other issue.

I am going to Europe in about a months time and will buy another sound card - any recommendations? (I've give this sound card to my son)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Bonsai, I wouldn't give up. It's probably a routing issue.

The way most mixers are set up by default is to route active inputs to the mix bus, and the output itself is also the mix bus.

What you need is to wire the software output to the mix bus, but route the hardware input directly to the software input without sending any of it back to the active mix.

The usual method would be to ensure it is muted in the mix, and using the routing menu to wire it up to RMAA directly.

Unfortunately different card drivers implement this in different ways, and without a look at the interface I would be hard-pressed to come up with a suggestion.

You will face this issue in every kind of interface.

A question for the experts

I used the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 with a laptop with Win7 Home and also on a desktop PC with Win XP SP2.

ARTA works well with both computers. However when I measure loop back frequency response from 10 Hz to 40 Khz ( (96K sampling) , on the laptop the extreme HF and the extreme LF below 20 Hz droops a bit . Not much , just about 0.2dB or so. But on the Desktop with the XP it's an absolutely flat line. +/- 0.02dB !

Since everything is digital outside the 2i2 , where does the droop on the laptop come from. My mind is fogged right now and I can't see the explanation. I would expect both computers to behave identically.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.