Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Pseudotsuga menziesii cultivars 2012

Post a few of yours... I'd prefer if others made most of these threads this year, but I'll make one here and there.

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Yahoo' - a little guy, an inch or so a year.

[Boyko's Blue Weeping] - no known history for this plant still, narrow upright, weeping habit, ala Picea glauca 'Pendula'. Soft blue foliage.

'Elegans' - Another mild weeper, generally soft blue and somewhat cascading. I have staked it a few times.

-Will

Comments (25)

• Cher
    11 years ago

I really like these selections. Starting to see how nice some of the Pseudotsuga can be.
    Cher

• severnside
    11 years ago

I love 'Yahoo' would love to eventually find one across here.

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

Hello!

Here are a couple -- one of which is rarely covered, the other has never been covered.

Pseudotsuga menziesii var Glauca 'Foxy Fir,' a Jerry Morris selection. This plant is around 10 years old.

Next, introducing Pseudotsuga menziesii 'DuPont Dynamite.' These are fresh grafts of the broom I found near my home. These are also among my first attempts at grafting.

Just in case you don't remember it, here is the original broom:
    {{gwi:637630}}
    and
    {{gwi:638364}}

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

Yay! I was hoping Will would start one of these threads.

I just love the way the needles smell. I find myself smelling this one like someone would smell a flower lol.

Psuedotsuga menziesii 'Graceful Grace' - My wife calls her Clutz =) looks like she has a mini skirt.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am glad to start this one and occasionally post some photos as well but I really do hope someone else(or several different people) start some photo threads of their own so I don't get barked at by GW.

Cool new plant Dave, looks like we should exchange some scion wood! :)

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Emerald Twister' - a VERY cool plant in older age, Iseli has released some into the marketplace at staggering prices, often $300-500 for a 6' tall specimen. They sure do look amazing but I'd rather form it myself at a 10th of the price!

'Pyramidalis' - Another Rocky Mountain variety, it doesn't really like our weather here and the needles don't last nearly as long as the coastal varieties but it's a cool blue color and unique looking needles. At a quick glance it almost looks like Abies lasiocarpa.

'Spike' - A new introduction(formerly R.R. Spike), found in Oregon and the name derives from the rail-road spike attached to rope that pulled it from the tree it came from.

-Will

• Simoni
    11 years ago

Hi,
    These are fresh grafts of the broom

Pseudotsuga menziesii Simanek

here is the original broom 2011

L+M S

• sluice
    11 years ago

Nice Will, Dave, Garen, and Simoni!

Great to see the newly grafted brooms too.

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Crescent Mountain'

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Bila Lhota'

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Green Fairy'

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Hvozdany'

• severnside
    11 years ago

Lovely specimens!

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Bila Lhota'

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Dandy Doug'

Tough time keeping it blue in my soil. You can see the green of the old needles.

These I showed in another thread, but here are recent pix...

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Elf'

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Ruth Alice'

tj

• clement_2006
    11 years ago

Pseudotsuga menz. 'NDR'
    Clement

• sprucebud
    11 years ago

That's an attractive one, Clement. Thanks for showing it.
    Richard

• sprucebud
    11 years ago

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Environmentals'

• Simoni
    11 years ago

Hi,
    we received scions Pseudotsuga menziesii DuPont Dynamite from a friend Glaciers End. This is the result. Thank you!
    L+M S

• Simoni
    11 years ago

New species from Czech

Pseudotsuga menziesii Tomino (found Tomas Kubat)

original broom

Pseudotsuga menziesii Vypalenka (from Tomas Kubat)

original broom with Tomas Kubat

Pseudotsuga menziesii Prosba lesa (from Tomas Kubat)

original broom whit Tomas Kubat

Pseudotsuga menziesii Adamov (from Tomas Kubat)

original broom Adamov whit Tomas Kubat

Pseudostuga menziesii Hubert (from Miroslav Komarek)

more news later
    L+M S

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

I hope Will won't mind if I post a species Douglas Fir growing at Albers Vista Gardens on the "cultivar" thread..
    The trunk is at least 1 meter in diameter!

-Sam

• severnside
    11 years ago

Species again Sam

At Westonbirt Arboretum, Glocestershire UK

• botann
    11 years ago

Here's a couple of my species.
    {{gwi:715903}}

A couple of friends limbing up a Doug Fir behind my house. The lower climber is about 50 ft. (approx. 18 meters) from the ground.
    {{gwi:329003}}
    Mike

• severnside
    11 years ago

Erk, that last pic gives me vertigo just looking. Why are they limbing it up, for light?

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Graceful Grace'.

A compact evergreen conifer with a weeping habit. Lush, glossy needles are deep green with a bluish cast. Discovered by Albert Ziegler in the 1960's and named after his wife, Grace. Prefers full sun. This tree should only be grown in full sunlight. It requires an evenly moist well-drained soil for optimal growth, but will die in standing water. It is not particular as to soil type, but has a definite preference for acidic soils. It is somewhat tolerant of urban pollution, and will benefit from being planted in a relatively sheltered location. Zone 5a.

Dave

• botann
    11 years ago

My friends limbed it up to reduce the wind sail. It's on a windy bluff and I didn't want it to blow over.
    Dave, I sure like your 'Graceful Grace'. All I have of the Pseudotsugas is the species. One has a Witche's broom however. Not easy to get to, but I have a few tree climbing friends who can get to it. The main trunk is not pictured.
    Mike

{{gwi:715905}}

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

'Happy Camper'

'Loggerhead'

-Sam

• User
    8 years ago

Is the Pseudotsuga menziesii Hvozdany the same as Pseudotsuga menziesii Hrazdary listed in the RHS conifer encyclopedia, if not, how large does it grow in ten years?

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    8 years ago

It looks like the RHS Encyclopedia has locked onto one of the common misspellings of Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Hvožd’any.'

Misspellings include, Hrazdary and Hrazderry. Hvožd’any is a witch's broom selection found in 1997 by Karel Malý in Hvožd’any, Czech Republic. Looks like the 10-year dimensions of this one is about 1m (3 ft) tall and slightly narrower.

here is some additional information:
    ACS page for this cultivar

cheers,
    Dave

• Simoni
    8 years ago

Dave, thanks for repair

L+M S

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH