Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Tsuga canadensis 'Ashfield Weeper'

dcsteg
14 years ago

I picked this up today. Usually grown in a prostrate form. This one is staked to grow in a pendulous form which I have never encountered before. One of those in my estimation you don't pass up. Of course pendulous forms rule in my garden for obvious reasons and I have a special place this one to grow.

Check out the ACS conifer data base for its normal growth habit.

Dave

{{gwi:717897}}

Comments (10)

• sprucebud
    14 years ago

A great addition!

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

I bought a similar specimen last year Dave. Like you, I said, whoa... OK, gotta have that one.

Picked up a fantastic looking Skylands today that might have been mislabled. Paid $99 and it's about 6' tall.

It's a lot of fun jumping around from nursery to nursery buying things you can't afford. I'm hoping for a 23 billion dollar bailout this Fall - My garden is too big to fail.

-Will

• texjagman
    14 years ago

OK Will...I gotta ask. Where did you find a 6' Skylands for $99?

Was it a small local, or a box store that might have made the same mistake in other places....hope, hope.

Mark

• firefightergardener
    14 years ago

A local specialty nursery called 'Portland Nursery'. They have a gigantic selection of just about everything and very competetive prices. It's strange though some of their items are prices out of most people's budget. They had a 4' tall/wide Abies nord. 'Golden Spreader' for $395(!) and large Chief Joseph pines for $795(!!!) lol.

Back on the thread: Dave, do you plan on staking yours higher? Mine grew pretty slowly last year but I still staked the 4" new growth upwards. It sure seems like a VERY heavy weeper.

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Will...I would like 3 more feet as it will be a back ground plant.

Looks like it could be on a continuous support not sure. Anyway I like the look.

The 'Skylands' will need full sun to do well with a screen of dabbled sun for the first 2 years. I don't know about the Pacific Northwest...you could get by with out it. The $99.00 is a super price. By the size of that pot you will need to spend some time with the roots...I can't imagine what you will find when you uncork that pot. Let's hope they up potted it as it grew in size. I assume it's not a B&B stuck in a pot.

Dave

• gardener365
    14 years ago

For what's it's worth Will, you could cut that Skyland's up and ship the scions to somewhere and in two years sell them on Ebay for a profit! LOL - I see all those plants on the wall and am chuckling to death right now, thinking, "what is this guy going to do with another large tree!." It really hurts man! As they say, "for anything, anyplace, anytime, there's... Mastercard.

Dax

• kaitain4
    14 years ago

Will,

When you run out of room you can send everything to me and we'll have the "southern" portion of your garden here. Of course, when people want to tour your garden it may get a little expensive flying them all the way to Nashville for Part 2! LOL!

• in ny zone5
    14 years ago

Dave,
    your Tsuga c.'A.Weeper' all staked up probably will need a more sturdy and permanent stake in a few years. I wonder for myself how to construct a sturdy stake, do not want to use wood or bamboo which might be rotting in the future. I saw mentioned somewhere to use copper pipe, perhaps 1 in, could end it in a tee to let the main leader bend down to the surface from there, hammer it 2-3 ft into the ground. How would you do it?

I am training a 3.5 ft Picea p. 'Glauca Procumbens' and a 4 ft Picea abies 'Pendula' now on plastic green stake and bamboo, but want to change them over to a sturdy stake before they reach 6-8 ft. I also have a 5 ft Picea glauca 'Pendula' on a bamboo stake, which may be removed next year I was told by the nursery.

The $99 for a 6ft Skylands would look in my area like a 50% off sale of a leftover from last year. I just bought a 4ft one for $150 after 25% off, saw another smaller one in the 50% off area.
    Bernd

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Bernd,

You can get a long piece of rebar if you want height. It'll rust I'll tell you that much but, once the job
    is done, it's done. No 'T' needed.

Stake it to whatever height you like. There's no wrong
    or right answer. The higher the better - feature - I say though.

Dax

• in ny zone5
    14 years ago

Dax,

Thanks! Rebar would be a simpler construction, would also fit into the same hole the bamboos are in now. Rust is no problem here, looks natural.
    I also see Norway spruces with the leader cut off at the desired height, then all the weeping is by the branches only. At one local nursery those are only 3 ft and without support, simply weeping to the ground. A better nursery has them staked at 4ft with the leader. 8 ft would be really dramatic, and I am planning for that.
    Dave (dcsteg) had shown his weepers in earlier postings.

Thanks!
    Bernd

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting