Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsugajunkie

Finally, Spring Break...

...bud break, that is. It may be old news for most of you, but for some of us this La Nina spring has been a long time coming. I now have a visual retort to those who tell me they don't use "evergreens" because they don't bloom. They're just not looking.

Abies concolor 'Compacta'

Picea abies 'Cecilia'

{{gwi:695013}}

Picea abies 'Calvary Upright'

...and a little closer...

Picea abies 'Burning Well'

Tsuga canadensis 'Betty Rose'

Picea orientalis 'Bergman's Gem'

Tsuga canadensis 'Vemueulen Wintergold'

Picea orientalis 'Tom Thumb'

Picea abies 'St. James'

Abies lasiocarpa 'Stevens Blue'

{{gwi:372222}}

Pseudotsuga menz. 'Ruth Alice'

Picea mariorica 'Machala'

Tsuga diversifolia 'Loowit'

Abies lasiocarpa 'Glauca'

Pseudotsuga menz. 'Korina's Kudos' (Not sure about that, its too tall but that's how it came)

{{gwi:606105}}

Pseudotsuga menz. 'Elf'

Picea abies 'Kellerman's Blue Cameo'

tj

Comments (24)

• dietzjm
    12 years ago

They look great! That Bergman's Gem is huge! Being from Wisco myself, from where do you get most of your conifers?

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

Fantastic looking plants TJ. I love the 'Calvary Upright' and have looked around unsuccessfully for it. Lovely little guy. Those dougs are great too! I'd love to know some of your sources too, not that I have room. :)

-Will

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Very nice TJ, thanks for sharing. I saw a Picea orientalis 'Bergman's Gem' that I almost pulled the trigger on but it was on a standard...just not have enough plant volume to use standards yet.

I'm hoping you can share some big picture pics?

• johnplace
    12 years ago

GREAT pics! I am partial to Cecilia.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Tsuga canadensis 'Vemueulen Wintergold' has some character.
    Picea glauca 'Burning Well' of course.

Happy Spring buddy.

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

nnniiiicccceee!!!!!

ken

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, folks.

I'd say 80% of my plants came from the usual mail order spots (Coenosium, Porterhowse, Girard, Greer, etc) in 1 gal. pots or less. Some have come from ACS auctions. The Doug Fir 'Ruth Alice' is one. Didn't know much about it but figured if Bill Barger thought enough about it to name it after his mother it had to be good. It certainly is.

Firefighter Will- My 'Calvary Upright came from Porterhowse, but I see he doesn't list it anymore. You may want check the ACS members directory and contact Randy Dykstra in Fulton, Il. To those not familiar with the plant see the link below.

Johnplace- 'Cecilia' is definately one of my faves. None of my other conifers has the emerald green it has. Got it from Girard's in the late 90s and its still just about 18 x 18 inches.

Wisconsin Will- I'll try and get some wider view pix but you know you're close enough to come and see the bigger picture.

Dax- I got 'Vemueulen Wintergold' from Gree this year. Very happy with it.

Ken- I figure in 10 years I may have posted as many pix as you & Dax and others have as of today. Thank you all for your pix.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Calvary Upright

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

tj, you're right! I should just stop by but wasn't sure if that would be strange or not, lol. I'll shoot you an email and we can set something up the next time I'm in tosa.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I pulled up this old post because my Photobucket hosted pix are now showing up again. Does everyone see these pix?

tj

• User
    5 years ago

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱ thanked User
  • stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    5 years ago

Thanks for letting us know tsuga :). I see your photo's. By the way how big is your Bergmen's Gem now?

tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱ thanked stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
  • tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The 'Bergmen's Gem' is about 4 feet in diameter. You can see it behind that nearly 5 foot wide 'St Mary's Broom'. And that is the A. concolor 'Compacta' behind it. Picea abies 'Kellerman's Blue Cameo' is to the right. That is a Pinus x nigra 'Bambino' ('Gaelle Bregeon;) in the middle. Some of those are 15 years old or more. Pic is from last August.

tj

• stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    5 years ago

Thanks. I love your Abies Concolor 'Compacta' . Is it naturally that narrow or do you prune it?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    Original Author
    5 years ago

There are two forms out there with this name. One is this narrow one and the other is more rounded. There are questions as to whether this is really 'Compacta' but I think Clement had a pic of one years ago that looked like this and when I ordered it I didn't know there was another form so I was happy I got this one.

tj

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    5 years ago
    Tj, this is a really cool thread to see the older photos and then the more recent one! I just keep flipping this phone back and forth...real enjoyable. You grow a lot of nice cultivars.
    Did you ever wonder if your Bergmans Gem was gonna throw up a leader before it grew to 4' diameter? I've seen them both ways...
    Compacta is stellar....
    Al
    tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱ thanked alley_cat_gw_7b
  • tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Al. I didn't know 'Bergman's Gem' ever threw up a leader. Mine certainly shows no sign of one after 14 or so years.

tj

• plantkiller_il_5
    5 years ago

I don't see the pics

what am I doing wrong ?

ron

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What device are you using Ron? I use a laptop (PC) with Firefox.

tj

• plantkiller_il_5
    5 years ago

The P C at work,,,,,google

I tried logging off houzz

I tried entering forums a different way

???? ron

• User
    5 years ago

Regular Google won't work with my PC anymore, finally forced me to go to Google Chrome.

• maackia
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Tsuga junkie, you’ve got a nice garden. Do you open it up to tours? I frequent nurseries in the region, but rarely do I see the plants you have. Do you primarily source them via internet mail order?

Edited after noticing this: “I'd say 80% of my plants came from the usual mail order spots (Coenosium, Porterhowse, Girard, Greer, etc) in 1 gal. pots or less”. Never mind....

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oddly, every one of those sources are now out of business...You could add Stanley to that list.

If you're going to be in the area you could message me and we may be able to work something out.

tj

• whaas_5a
    5 years ago

Can't believe its been almost 7 years since I was out there!

Things keep looking good!

tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱ thanked whaas_5a
Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022