Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tasmanii

More from the South

tasmanii
12 years ago

A few more southern hemisphere conifers

ATHROTAXIS X LAXIFOLIA (Taxodiaceae Tasmania)

ARAUCARIA ARAUCANA (Araucariaceae South America)

DACRYCARPUS COMPACTUS (Podocarpaceae New Caledonia)

PODOCARPUS ELATUS (Podocarpaceae Australia)

PHEROSPHAERA HOOKERIANA SEEDLING (Podocarpaceae Tasmania)

ARAUCARIA BIDWILLI (Araucariaceae Australia)

ARAUCARIA BIRAMULATA (Araucariaceae New Caledonia)

WOLLEMI NOBILIS (Araucariaceae Australia)

WIDDRINGTONIA SCWARTZII (Cupressaceae South Africa)

CALLITRIS OBLONGA SSP OBLONGA (Cupressaceae Tasmania)

CALLITRIS PREISSII, OBLONGA, ENDLICHERI AND RHOMBOIDEA (Cupressaceae Australia)

PODOCARPUS NIVALIS (Podocarpaceae New Zealand)

HALOCARPUS BIDWILLII (Podocarpaceae New Zealand)

PRUMNOPITYS FERRUGINEA (Podocarpaceae New Zealand)

LIBOCEDRUS PLUMOSA (Cupressaceae New Zealand)

AGATHIS AUSTRALIS (Araucariaceae New Zealand)

PHYLLOCLADUS GLAUCUS (Podocarpacea New Zealand)

PODCAROUS HENKELII (Podocarpacea South Africa)

Comments (11)

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Wow, that just knocked my socks off. This could be one of the first times in my life I am somewhat envious the trees someone else can grow. Just literally FANTASTIC!

Thank you,

Dax

• johnplace
    12 years ago

ARAUCARIA BIDWILLI is particularly awesome.

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

ARAUCARIA BIDWILLI (Araucariaceae Australia.. lol ya, spectacular!

• tasmanii
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah! Thats a great specimen of A bidwilli (maybe 100+ years old) There is quite a few around Tasmania around this age but usually as single stem specimens. They do quite well here given the much milder/warmer conditions they are used to 1800+ kms north of Tassie in their native habitat.

AND THE PICTURES BELOW:

Tasmanian alpine coniferous scrub. Six of Tasmania's nine endemic conifers grow here.

Athrotaxis cupressoides (centre) Athrotaxis selaginoides growing up the slopes amongst the deciduous Nothofagus gunnii (TE)

Athrotaxis cupressoides

Athrotaxis cupressoides

Athrotaxis cupressoides, Diselma archeri & Pherosphaera hookeriana

Athrotaxis cupressoides (centre left) Diselma archeri (front right)

• pineresin
    12 years ago

Stunning pics in the last set!

And a nice cone crop on that Wollemia.

Resin

• jaro_in_montreal
    12 years ago

Yeah! ....great pics! ....thanks very much!

Several in the first set look like they're from an arboretum - is that correct? ...which one ?

Also, are the ones in the second set mostly from one particular area ? (which lake or mountain?)

To my untrained eye, the foliage on the big Wollemia looks more like a cycad than an araucaria.
    Also, the PHYLLOCLADUS GLAUCUS foliage looks a lot like Ginkgo leaves -- surely there must be a fairly close relationship ? (Interestingly to some perhaps, there are several large Ginkgo trees in downtown Montreal - doing very well !)

• noki
    12 years ago

I love to see these "alien" fauna from the other side of the world, it's like a cool parallel universe. It would be so cool to visit New Zealand or Tasmania.

• cryptomeria
    12 years ago

Thanks so much, tasmanii,

wonderful country , like from another world. Like Nouvelle-Calédonie.

Beautiful plants

I like these southern conifers very much. Unfortunately we have not much literature with coloured pics from these rare conifers.

And what a pity, they do not grow outside here in Germany .

Thanks and go on , please, if you have some more.

Wolfgang

• tasmanii
    Original Author
    12 years ago

G'day Jaro,

The pics in the first set are a combination of plants from Botanical gardens, here in Hobart as well as a few from my garden and an arboretum as well. Fortunately I have them all under cultivation but most remain relatively uncommon and much the domain of the collector, I struggle to give them away.
    The woolemi foliage is very unusual indeed and much like a cycad as you suggested. The Phyllocladus glaucus superficially resembles a Ginkgo but foliage is only a quarter of its size. The Phyllocladus genus (total of 5 species) is quite unmistakeable once you have seen it.

The second set of pics were taken on Tarn Shelf, a heavily glaciated geological feature on the north eastern side of the Rodway Range in Mt Field National Park. Tarn shelf is at an altitude of 1150-1250m ASL,which in a worldly sense is not high, but it does constitute "alpine zone" over here.
    Unlike most parts of the world, the diversity in flora increases with altitude and there is a high level (around 50%) of endemism here. Here it receives up to 2600mm (100+ inches) of rain per year as well as snow and ice. Soil is shallow,fibrous peat over a stony clay subsoil derived from dolerite.
    The shelf itself runs for around 3-4 kms in a roughly NW-SE direction and approximately 500 metres at its widest point. Along its length it is dotted with a myriad of small lakes and tarns formed from glacial scouring, and of course......some amazing plants. I am fortunate in that my work requires me to visit here fairly often but you can never tire of it, it is a very special place.
    It is a must see if you are ever in Tasmania.

Cheers Tasmanii

• jaro_in_montreal
    12 years ago

Really appreciate the info ! ....saving it for my Tassie trip :)

Thanks again,

Jaro

• sluice
    12 years ago

Nice! I like those snags up on the Tarn Shelf.