Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener365

Pinus koraiensis 'Dragon Eye'

gardener365
14 years ago

Why do I hear ken and possibly other's say this plant has poor coloration? I think it's fantastic. Here's a photo:

I think it's one of the ultimate conifers, really. It's like Pinus parviflora 'Gimborn's Ideal'. you gotta have em.

Dax

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

hey dax

where is that one??? perhaps its a zone issue ....

i got one.. in 8 years.. its had 2 single buds that dragon eyed.. going on 15 feet tall ...

i was disappointed.. so i ordered another cheaper one .... it is going on 5 feet .... and never a single DEye .... though i should walk out there and check ...

maybe its my sand..

maybe its poor scion..

maybe its an age thing..

but if it were THE ONLY PLANT I COULD BUY ... for a small yard.. i would tell them there are better choices.. perhaps in the parv group ...

hey.. if you have 5 acres... and a lifetime of hope that it will do do something.. go for it ...

is there any chance it could be a fertilizer issue ...

ken

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Dax,

When it comes to the "Dragon Eye" cultivars of all Pinus species, the one of Pinus koraiensis shows us the lowest coloration.

• texjagman
    14 years ago

Are you sure it's a Dragon Eye? It looks exactly like my Pinus koraiensis 'Jack Korbit'. When I bought the Korbit, I got it because it had the more dramatic color of the two they had in stock.

But regardless, I agree with you.....these are a must have.

mark

• gardener365
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No way Ken. It won't be a fertilizer issue unless the plant is "weak, has yellow coloration, wimply candles, or is being attacked by insects due to its' poor condition. However, if the plant were not growing very well, and it were mine, I'd start fertilizing it and I wouldn't hold back either. I'd fertilize the hell out of it. That would be the very first thing I would do. Fertilizer helps plants along, ken. This plant is located near to me in Iowa. Probably zone 5, maybe 4ish. There is no sand here so I cannot comment although, I do know that conifers grow very well in pure sand such as yours. I've read about it.

Here's a zoom. I can tell you the plant from a distance and close up it looks like a mixture of light yellow and powder blue.
    {{gwi:744407}}

Dax

• gardener365
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Am I sure, I don't know so no. I guess I saw a perfect specimen and it'll be forever engrained in my mind. I guess I'll ask for some scion from that tree. Also, the point of this conversation could be very easily addressed from coniferjoys statement above that it is the weakest of any pine dragon eye variegation. actually there is no dragon variegation, just subtle color. It's making more sense now that the name inadvertently describes an effect that isn't present, at all.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Dax,
    It's "Dragon Eye" happening will show up when the needles are hardier in Autumn and in Winter.
    Unfortunately I don't have a photo this time...

14 years ago

as you will see below.. it doesnt appear to be a food issue ....

i dont understand joy's words ... neither of my trees lose needles in winter... regardless.. its on new growth .... and even with my extra cold winter just past.. neither tree had damage ...

dont get me wrong.. its a gorgeous GREEN conifer ... but in no way suitable for suburbia ... and it is not a worthy dragon eye ....

ken

the big tree

{{gwi:744408}}

{{gwi:744409}}

{{gwi:744410}}

{{gwi:744411}}

the younger tree
    {{gwi:744412}}

{{gwi:744413}}

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Ken,
    You didn't red my comment in a good way.
    I didn't mention that it will lost needles, I said that the variegated coloration is seen when it's getting colder when the needles are hardened off.

It's a GREEN conifer during Summer, but a slightly DRAGON EYE during Winter.
    I found a photo which I took last Winter which I used for another topic.
    The P. koraiensis bud is cleary visable but if tyou take a good look you see also the variegation in it.
    {{gwi:647367}}

I think the conifer you both showing us is not the right one or scionswood is taken from a reversion.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think the odds of that occurring Edwin are very unlikely. Nice first tree Ken. That thing is sharp.

I'm satisfied with the answers I've heard.

Thank you,

Dax

14 years ago

thanks joy ....

my understanding of dragon eye .. is interchanging bands of color on a single needle.. when you look straight at the bud and all the needles together.. create the effect of an eye staring back at you ...

in joy's pic.. i see variegation ... different colored needles.. but i do not see the eyeball ...

i have the effect on many other pines.. but they are still finishing up their spring work ... will try to capture such in a few weeks ...

ken

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Ken,
    The plant at my Pinetum shows banding variegation around it's buds In Autumn and Winter, I know this for sure but it's not so clearly as the other dragon eye cultivars of other Pinus species.
    I just made a notice that I must take a photo then and bring it to this topic.
    I'll come back to this!

Dax,
    I suspected another answer from you than that my opinion is unlikely.
    Why don't you ask yourself the quiestion why the introducer of this plant give it the name 'Dragon Eye'.
    I think the answer is that it showed banding variegation and I think he wouldn't do that if the plant was completely green all year round.

The World Checklist of Conifers mentioned that this plant was listed by Coenosium gardens so I hope Bob can also give us some information.

• texjagman
    14 years ago

This is my Korbit. It is very close to the above tree. And the needle verigated stripe was a big draw to me.

{{gwi:744414}}

{{gwi:744415}}

{{gwi:744416}}

{{gwi:744417}}

{{gwi:744418}}

Thx
    mark

• gardener365
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Edwin,

Point taken. It's a tough one though. I just haven't ever seen any indication of what ken and I call a true "banded-dragon-eye" look to it. I mean it's so clear on the other Dragon cultivars. Like night and day. Dark green with a perfect yellow stripe partly on the needles. Very obvious!
    I didn't know what else to say at the time. I'm just happy with this tree regardless I guess.

Nice 'Jack Corbit Mark. There's more dragon eye in that than 'Dragon Eye' ;-) I agree, these are all worthy. I actually have 20+ "plain" koraiensis seedlings about 4" tall. They sure are slow but man are they cool.

Dax