Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cypress2265

picea pungens royal knight

cypress2265
14 years ago

I am trying to find out some information about picea pungens royal knight. I have a hoopsii and I am interested in getting a blue spruce that looks more pendulous in growth. What I mean is not glauca pendula, I already own picea pungens the blues, I want it to look like the trees (and the only way I can descibe it is) on rudolph the red-nose reindeer. Does anyone know if royal knight (according to the photos I've seen) do that or does it depend on growth conditions? If not, is there any other I can purchase that I know at maturity will look like that.

Mark

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    14 years ago

HEY!!!

funny you should ask.. i was just thinking about this one.. lol

its growing in full shade.. ergo very slow growth rate .. and a bit sparse ...

and in NO SENSE OF THE word.. pendulous

{{gwi:750702}}

i dont recall rudolph .... are you thinking droopy for lack of a better term????

due to lack of space on photobucket.. i dont keep my pix online forever... if you ever need to see them.. please feel free to ask away ...

but let me ask you this.. why another pungens... perhaps you need to move out of the pungens family.. to find the form you are looking for .. and i am completely blanking on the type you are looking for ... something in the abies family i think ...

good luck

ken

• cypress2265
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pungens seems the bluest and easiest to grow. Whenever I am driving or anywhere really I look at the blue spuces. One thing I noticed is that they almost all have different shapes. Some have horizontal branches and some have drooping branches (glauca pendula but much wider), most have a mix of branches. The pictures I've seen (royal knight) have drooping branches. Some web site was denying that there was such a tree. It was just another name for one of the pungens. I will try to post some pictures as soon as I figure it out

Here is a link that might be useful: royal knight

14 years ago

by fixating on one group... should the 8th plague of the apocalypse of pungens come blowing thru... you will potentially lose everything ...

hence.. i would suggest that you diversify ... see link for the form i THINK you are looking for ...

being a BLUE NUT... i fully understand the NEED to have more blue plants... but after getting a dozen or so.. there are just so many permutations on a BLUE picea pungens... no matter how unique catalogs or websites try to be ...

good luck on your quest frodo ...

ken

PS: you might also want to look into the weeping larch ... there are so very blue ones...

pps: can you find a link.. through google to a pic of the trees from the 60's tv show????

Here is a link that might be useful: abies pendula

• cypress2265
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks,
    I already own:
    nootkatensis Glauca Pendula,
    thyoides glauca pendula,
    obtusa cripsii
    lawson. pembury blue
    boulevaerd cypress
    arizona cypress ice blue,
    thuja yellow ribbon

PMS: lol. the arizona cypress is to sparce for me. I had it in front of my house as a focal point and could see right through it and pulled it up and now it is sitting in a pot.
    The thyoides is mostly green
    Lawson. grows like crap in pa., so do scopulorums but
    home improvement stores keep selling them.

• coniferjoy
    14 years ago

Hi Ken,

Your picture of the 'Royal Knight' was a good one to add to my Picea pungens parade ;0)

• gardener365
    14 years ago

It's a fairly narrow tree with identical dimensions to 'Iseli Foxtail'. I've seen a 15 footer at Bickelhaupt Arboretum during the recent years. I also photographed that exact tree during the winter of 2001 or 2002 and it can be viewed on the American Conifer Society's Conifer Database.

Dax

• arceesmith
    14 years ago

I believe this is the 'Royal Knight' Dax has referred to. Shot at Bickelhaupt July 4, 2008. Beautiful tree!

• cypress2265
    Original Author
    14 years ago

rcsmith;

So if that is a royal knight (beautiful specimen btw), what is the difference between that and a hoopsii?

Mark

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Thanks RC!

Hoopsii is broader.

Dax

14 years ago

what is the difference between that and a hoopsii?

===============

$25 ?????

===============
    and .. i did say: being a BLUE NUT... i fully understand the NEED to have more blue plants... but after getting a dozen or so.. there are just so many permutations on a BLUE picea pungens... no matter how unique catalogs or websites try to be ...

hoopsi is one of the best.. and you are going to spend hundreds.. if not thousands of dollars .. buying all the others.. trying to find something better???

if you have acreage .. and an unlimited budget.. what the heck... go for it ..

but if you are in suburbia.. it will be time to move on from pungens...

what about that google search for rudolphs trees???

ken

• cypress2265
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will try to post a picture of one blue spruce down the block from me. It has half drooping and half straight branches, which give a good side by side comparison.

Here's my Picea Pungens Hoopsii

• gardener365
    14 years ago

I think 'Koster' has interesting form as does and 'Edit' note: not 'Edith'. Bob Fincham met Dr. Barabit's wife and her name was "Edit." They ate lunch together, he recalls vividly. Also this Colorado Blue Spruce doesn not need any leader training unlike almost all the large upright grafted Blue spruces ('Hoopsii' 'Bakeri' 'Thomsen' etc-)

'Edit' at Anthoine Pinetum, Clement's place:
    {{gwi:728650}}

'Koster' as a youngster:

then as it ages a bit more still quite interesting form:

A full size 'Kosteri' {{gwi:750701}}

Check it this full-size 'Spring Ghost' I found googling:

'Spring Ghost' Patmore Nursery

Dax

• bluespruce53
    14 years ago

Hey Dax, there you go again, the published ans accepted name all over Europe is EDITH. Even if Bob Fincham is correct that Dr Barabit wanted the plant named Edit, which is the Hungarian equivalent for Edith - bear in mind that he couldn't speak a word of English and this conversation was conducted through a translator if I remember correctly regarding Bob's previous postings. That in itself has a possibility for misunderstanding, and as Dr Barabit is now deceased which seems to rule out any possibility for confirmation. 'Edith' is now validly published and accepted name, regardless.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz