Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Chamaecyparis (any) Photo Gallery 2010

First, before I disgrace myself here, I should admit that Chamaecyparis are certainly the 'red-headed stepchildren' of my conifer gardens. I have a lot of them(maybe 150?) though I generally don't 'collect' them like I do other conifers. Of my 1100 or so conifers, they aren't even cataloged(though this process might help me start) and generally my eyes drift over them when I look about my various beds.

Even worse(as a collector), many of my plants are unknown, mis-named, mis-tagged, etc. so this thread was mostly started for others to have a chance to both correct me if possible and also post some of their own.

Before I list these, please keep in mind that I'd guess only about 80% of the labels are correct, 50% are spelled correctly and these pictures may have nothing to do with the cultivars I have them listed at! In true newbie-form,

here goes(Be gentle!):

?= unsure

??= very unsure

???= who knows???

Chamaecyparis ...??

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Lemon Twist' (100%)

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Kerdalo'?

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Verdoni'?

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Dainty Doll'??

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Nana'??

Chamaecyparis ???

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Curly Tops' (100%)

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Baldwin's Varigated' (100%)

Chamaecyparis 'Nana Gracilis'?

A little help to a poor, disorientated collector!

-Will

Comments (16)

• taxo_man
    13 years ago

The 7th pic appears to be a Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Tetragona aurea' or 'Fernspray Gold' (they look very similar)

The bottom picture looks like a Champecyparis obtusa 'Filicodies'

I feel like the one marked "Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Dainty Doll'??" might be a Chamaecyparis pisifera dwarf of some kind.

Not 100% one these, lets see what others have to say. : )

J

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Photo #1 = Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Goldilocks'
    Photo #3 = Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Gracilis Aurea'
    Photo #4 = Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Verdon'
    Photo #5 = Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Nana'
    Photo #6 = Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Golden Sprite'
    Photo #7 = Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Tetragona Aurea' or 'Kojolcohiba'
    Photo #8 = Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Boulevard', the curly tips are not visable, they must be realy twisted.
    Photo #9 = Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Filicoides Compacta' or 'Teddy Bear', maybe 2 names for the same plant.

Will, if you take a closer look to the foliages then you will see the diferences between a Chamaecyparis pisifera and a Chamaecyparis obtusa...

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you very much for the help Edwin - now they can be properly labeled! Some more!

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Ice Berg' (100%)

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Confucious' (100%)

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Cannon Ball' (100%)

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Gold Dust' (100%)

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Blue Dwarf' ??

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Elwood's Pygmy' ??

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Elwood's Nymph' ?

Chamaecyparis 'Gold Fern' (100%)

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Treasure' (100%) ?

-Will

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

#1 = Cham. pisif. 'Spaan's Cannon Ball'
    I don't see any difference with #3 which you named 'Cannon Ball'.
    The real 'Ice Berg' is more juvenile and is almost completely white.
    The only one which come's pretty close to the 'Spaan's Cannon Ball' is 'Plumosa Compressa'.

#4 isn't 'Gold Dust'.
    The true 'Gold Dust' is a golden variegated 'Silver Lode'.
    The one you show us is the Chamaecyparis pisifera 'White Pygmy'.

#5 The true name is 'Dwarf Blue' aka 'Blue Dwarf'.
    The funny thing is that when this one isn't pruned and will grow into a tree form, it's named 'Squarrosa Intermedia' but when it's pruned regulary and the juvenile growth will stay, it's named 'Dwarf Blue'.

#6 This one looks to me as a "normal" 'Ellwoodii'. (note the orrect spelling)

I hope that I helped you again with this info!

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again for the help Edwin, perhaps a few more you can sort out:

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Blue Nantais'.

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Cream Ball'.

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Barry's Silver'. Pretty sure on this one.

Need a lot of help here as the tag is apparently ran over repeatedly until I discarded it.

Chamaecyparis obtusa(?) 'Fernspray Gold'. Pretty sure on this one.

Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Glauca Pendula'

Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Green Arrow'. One of the best and most narrow alaskan cedars.

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Gold Pincushion'. Sorry for the bad photo.

Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Van Den Aker'. Another of the more narrow alaskan cedars, a lovely sentinal.

-Will

• botann
    13 years ago

You guys are turning me into a collector of sorts!
    I just picked this up.

{{gwi:755767}}
    Chamaecyparis obtusa, 'Gold Fern'.
    And this.
    {{gwi:755768}}
    Chamaecyparis pisifera, 'Snow'.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those are nice plants Botann(what's your name, it's stilly calling you that), and if I may ask, where do you shop, in King co. I presume?

-Will

• blue_yew
    13 years ago

Botann

Is that an unusual Thujopsis cultivar next
    to the Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Snow'?

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Will,
    The 4th photo in your last batch, just before 'Fernspray Gold' is probably Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Snowflake'

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

I just love checking into this web site to see all the fantastic photos.

Will - May I ask a question? You mentioned that you have over 1100 conifers and you frequently post great photos of individual plants or a small area of your beds. Maybe I've missed it but have you ever posted a photo taken from high up (like the extended bucket of a firetruck) or a wide angle photo so that we can see a larger view of your landscape?

I have so few conifers that I live vicariously through the photos everyone posts here. Thanks to everyone who shares their photos and passion with the rest of us.

Thanks,
    Maire

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Chamaecyparis laws. 'Blue Nantais'
    Must be written as
    Chamaecyparis laws. 'Bleu Nantais'
    It's a Frenche selection with a French name.

Chamaecyparis pisif. 'Cream Ball' aka 'Silver Surprise' are in reality Chamaecyparis pisif. 'Plumosa Flavescens' which is the name that must be used.

Stephen is right about the Chamaecyparis obt. 'Snowflake' which does have white dots.
    If these were yellow the cultivar name was 'Safron Spray'.
    Both are branch mutations found on a Chamaecyparis obt. 'Chabo-yadori'.

The species Chamaecyparis nootkatensis don't exist anymore, I still use the species Xanthocyparis nootkatensis but some say it's Cupressus nootkatensis...

• botann
    13 years ago

Blue Yew, the Thujopsis is a 'Nana'. I have four of the species. One over thirty feet tall. It was the first tree I started from cuttings. Hoya carnosa was the first houseplant I did from cuttings.
    Mike

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Edwin for the info, I'll continue to make adjustments to my photo database.

The spots on the mystery plant are indeed a gold color not white so for now I'll go with C.o. 'Saffron Spray'.

Maire, I've posted various wide-screen shots but I'm about to start a new project rockbed and when I do so I'll try and include a half dozen before/after shots so you can see my gardens at a distance. I wish I had an expensive camera though, my current camera takes decent closeup shots but dismal distance shots(everything is mildly blurry to me).

-Will

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Will,
    Not sure what plant you are referring to, but there is no picture here of Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Saffron Spray'

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Edwin had this to say about my mystery chamaecyparis:

"Stephen is right about the Chamaecyparis obt. 'Snowflake' which does have white dots.
    If these were yellow the cultivar name was 'Safron Spray'.
    Both are branch mutations found on a Chamaecyparis obt. 'Chabo-yadori'."

And my plant has yellow splashes in it. Perhaps it is indeed 'Snowflake' then?

-Will

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Ok, some pics of my Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Snowflake' and Safron Spray'
    The main difference in the variegation between these two plants is that 'Snowflake tends to have smaller splashes of colour, not at all white, but very pale cream on the inner parts of the variegation, with the outer tips being more of a mid yellow. 'Safron Spray' on the other hand tends to have larger slpashes of mid yellow variegation.
    Sorry photos still not very good.

'Snowflake'

'Safron Spray'