Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Picea species & cultivars, rare/unusual Photo Gallery 2010

And flooding into the forum, more conifer pics!

Quite a few of my plants are from species that only seem to have a few cultivars available. If you have a spruce or spruces that aren't very common that you'd like to share, let's see them. Lots of cool and amazing cultivars out there just haven't had enough exposure to be coveted yet.

I'll start with a few older ones I've managed to place amongst my other conifers.

Picea smithiana 'Ballarat'. A highly unusual miniature/dwarf, the foliage is very thick and slow growing but carries over the habit from it's parent of a droopy, weeping nature. Picked this gem up from Coenosium gardens. I'd guess it's about 5-6 years old.

Picea meyeri?

Closeup on the abies pinsapo-like needles.

Picea rubens 'Pocono'. Had to place it there - lol.

Picea rubens 'W.B.'. Dense and slow growing.

Picea glehnii 'Yatsubusa'. Great colors, shape and growth rate of about 4-5 centimeters a year. What's not to like?

This may be a long picture thread, lots to share here and I hope to see some of the wierd/unusual/rare spruce you have. Non-cultivars are also MORE THEN WELCOME here. Let's see some neat conifers.

-Will

Comments (18)

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

With help from our prodigy conifer-expert Dax:

Picea x Troemner (A hybrid of Picea omorika and Picea pungens 'Koster'). Rapidly growing cultivar has the coloration of a Picea pungens with some green/silvery hues and the grow rate and habit of Picea omorika. Named after Allan Troemner a plant technician from the University of Wisconsin-Madison Forestry Department.

-Will

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Picea jezoensis 'Aurea'. A nice conifer with shades of green, gold and even blue.

Picea shirasawae `Mt. Yatugatake'. A very rare cultivar from this species native to the mountains of Japan. It was much brighter green early in Spring.

Picea X Mariorika 'Machala'

Picea breweriana 'Emerald Midget'

Picea jezoensis 'Chitosemaru'. Great plant, name is probably illegitamate.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A few more to add today:

Picea smithiana. Droopy needles are it's trademark, mine has just began to show it's habit.

Picea x Mariorika 'Glauca'. Similar to 'Machala'.

-Will

• dcsteg
    13 years ago

I like them all especially...Picea glehnii 'Yatsubusa' and Picea x Mariorika 'Glauca'.

Dave

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

I have also some Picea smithiana cultivars:
    'Himalaya Hexe'

'Sunray'

Will, your Picea x mariorika 'Machala' and 'Glauca' are the same one.

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Picea schrenkiana "Alma Ata"

Picea X moseri

Picea smithiana "Nana"

Clément

• darob
    13 years ago

I greet
    from my collection
    Picea Marian , Smoke Jumper,
    Darek

• jaro_in_montreal
    13 years ago

Clément, is that a Brewer's spruce on the right in your last photo ? ....thnx !

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Jaro,
    Yes, at Aubonne Arboretum,(AAVA) switzerland.
    Clément

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great photos fellas. You either have access to great arboresums or you live on huge properties! Either way, consider me green with envy.

Picea bi-color, species.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Will, did something happens to the Picea bicolor's leader?
    The plant will have a greater look if you bring it back to only one leader...

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Edwin, this plant was 'salvaged' from a nursery owner who didn't have space for it. It was neglected and pretty pot bound. It did seem happy with my frequent waterings this spring and put on good growth but I surmiss it will take a couple years before it forms it's standard leader again. I love the colors.

Picea breweriana 'Wustemeyer'. Dunno, neat though!

-Will

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Probably a Picea sitchensis but certainly not a breweriana.

Picea breweriana "Wustemeyer"
    Is possible to mix Picea breweriana with sitchensis ??
    Clément

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Clément, do you mean that Picea breweriana 'Wüstemeyer' is probably a mix with Picea sitchensis?
    It isn't because the 'Wüstemeyer' is found as a witches'broom and the original name given by Werner Wüstemeyer was 'Wüstemeyer H.B.'.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That tree appears to me to have some weeping branches, but also clearly a different tone and color then Picea breweriana. Is there any chance that it's Picea breweriana x sitchensis 'Wustemeyer'? The needles up close sure look like Picea sitchensis.

-Will

• jaro_in_montreal
    13 years ago

Wow ! ....that's a huge 'Wustemeyer' Clément -- merci beaucoup !
    The one I have is a fraction of that size, and I had NO idea that it could get that big ! ...how old is it ?

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Edwin, I would think Clement means Will's previous photo is a sitchensis, and the photo he has posted is Picea breweriana 'Wustemeyer' to show for comparison I guess.

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Yes ,I post a photo of Picea breweriana "Wustemeyer"for comparison.
    It's not a hybrid, it's a W.B. from Picea breweriana.
    Clément

PS no very dwarf.My plant have 2/2,5 meters hight