Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Hobbiton conifers of the week, July 12th

Summer's here now. It's almost 80 every day!

A few more photos today, some strange cultivars and some more common ones. Enjoy and feel free to make corrections!

Pinus peuce 'Nana' - four or five years old, VERY slow growing with big soft needles.

Abies firma 'Halgren' - Looks like an intermediate upright.

Abies homolepis 'Prostrata' - Becomes large with time.

Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns' - Wild thing. Refuses to go up - so far.

Abies delavayi 'Buchanan' - Choice needles.

Picea chihuahuana - Native to the Northwest mountains of Mexico. Stunning blue SHARP needles, even in dense shade. Seems to tolerate shade as well or better then any spruce I grow.

closeup.

Picea X hurstii (engelmannii x pungens)

An unknown weeping fir. Help please!

Needle underside.

Nordmanniana?

Acer palmatum 'Gwen's Rose Delight' ~ 'Shirazz'. Noted for the different name because for some reason - perhaps the daylight, this specimen is very different then specimens of 'Shirazz' I grow. All are quite varied and lovely though.

Closeup.

A shady garden shot.

Comments (12)

• mesterhazypinetum
    11 years ago

Will,
    your chihuahuana needs sun. Have a look at this one from last year at Horak Gardens CZ:

{{gwi:618781}}
    Picea chihuahuana Mesterhazy & Horak photo
    {{gwi:618782}}
    {{gwi:618783}}

I guess your pendulous fir seem to be an alba.

Zsolt

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Will, please cut a peace af your unknow weeping fir and compare it with your Abies alba 'Green Spiral'.
    You'll be surprised... :0)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Pinus peuce...

very under-planted as a species. And that's a nice dwarf.

Dax

• clement_2006
    11 years ago

according to Zsolt ,full sun, it's a plant from Mexico.
    You have a poorplant !
    Clement

• dcsteg
    11 years ago

I would take hold of the Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns' and stake it for upright growth.

You don't have the room for it to be growing on the ground. While your considering this move remove one of the leaders for better balance.

You can't beat shady garden spots. Your looks good.

Dave

• Cher
    11 years ago

Beautiful Will and your Acer collection is fantastic. The chihuahuana may not grow as well in shade but it's working for that area and I think very eye catching and showing great color.
    Cher

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the advice Dave and Clement.

Strange how that works Edwin, and strange how growers seem to get their plants confused. I bought it from a very knowledgable collector who I would have presumed knew where he got it from.

-Will

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Will, it seems that he's not that knowledgable ;0)

I'm also very convinced that the Abies alba 'Green Spiral' is just a renaming for Abies alba 'Pendula'...

• mesterhazypinetum
    11 years ago

Some words to the Abies alba question

Some years ago I photographed an aged Abies alba Pendula. Has a perfect trunk without spiral.
    I also have one, which I staked, as usual. But the plant didn't followed the stake and after some years he made his own leader independent of staking.

Abies alba Pendula

Abies alba Pendula

Abies alba Pendula

The last photo is showing near the ground, that this one had decided also to grow an own leader. The little bushy part of the plant tells me this, the remains of the "reversion" to a real Pendula, as the plant wanted.

WIll, it would be great to know, which name was given to you at buying the plant?

Green Spiral's trunk is very similar to Abies veitchii Pendula, which really forms a spiralis.

What about this idea?

Zsolt

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Zsolt, why are you showing us 3 Abies alba 'Pendula' pics and not 1 of an Abies alba 'Spiralis', while you've a 1.000.000 in your collection.

Every Abies alba 'Pendula' will show another trunk, some are straight and some do have a spiral upright growth, so I'm not inn with your theory...
    I can tell this from my own experiences at my nursery.

• mesterhazypinetum
    11 years ago

Edwin,

lets see, what I have.

3 kind of very old european pendulas from the history

Pendula /Carr./Asch. & Graebner
    Abies alba f. pendula

Pendula Knight & Perry 1850
    1835 Godefroy Nurs., Ville d Avray FRA
    At one time known as Abies pectinata. This dates back to France around 1850, it has excellent green color. It weeps quite strongly but becomes almost contorted with age, plants tend to burn the first few years but largely outgrow this once their roots are well below frost line. Ours barely turned a needle last winter. Arrowhead text.
    Listed in 2010 Arrowhead Alpines Nursery MI USA

Pendula Gracilis Senecl. 1868
    1868 M. Masse FRA

Green Spiral, reported by Welch 1979
    from Secrest Arboretum, Wooster OH USA
    Different from Torulosa this originated at Secrest in 1979, it is pendulous with twisted branches. Arrowhead text.

Seemingly the Pendula comes from Europe ~ 170 years ago. You may think any connection between Pendula and Green Spiral, but I have no information about the Secrest plant birth. Teoretically this may be a renamed Pendula, a seedling of Torulosa, a seedling of Pendula and many other variations. This question is not solvable without the Secrest original story. Do you know that?

Till now I got no doubts about Green Spiral, but I hope you make it clear.

Zsolt

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Zsolt, I'm trying, a little while ago I sent an email to the Secrest Arboretum for the info I was was searching for, but till now I didn't receive no anwer...may be they don't know the answer themselves...