Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Cedrus deodara 'Snow Sprite'

dcsteg
15 years ago

I have no other conifer in my garden which compares to the Celadon color this Cedrus d.'Snow Sprite' exhibits. Good conifer for color contrast. It will tolerate shade and takes to pruning well.

Dave
Cedrus deodara 'Snow Sprite'

{{gwi:628062}}

Comments (35)

• lschibley
    15 years ago

What a gorgeous creature.

What a lovely garden. Thank you so much for sharing.

Lisa

• vancleaveterry
    15 years ago

Dave,

Beautiful plant.

I've had one for a few months now. Mine's smaller of course, is currenty in a nice pot and is staked for a central leader.

Is it ok to have a central leader?

I bought mine on ebay from Bonzaibob. So far it is handling the zone nine heat and humidity of the gulf coast.

Terry

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Propagations seen here have a conical shape and produce partly white foliage that is very prone to sunburn. Welch/Haddow, World Checklist of Conifers describe it as a "small white mounded bush" that is "Not hardy in U.K." Other colored foliage selections of this species said to have been originated by W. Goddard, Victoria, BC are 'Cream Puff', 'Deep Cove', 'Gold Cone', 'Klondyke', 'Silver Mist' and 'White Imp'.

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My 'Snow Sprite' has been in my garden 7 years in full sun year around. Burning never an issue.

Dave

• plantmarker
    15 years ago

Dave -

Tell us what all we are looking at in this beautiful photo, please.

By the way, new to my garden this year is Cedrus deodara 'Silver Mist', whose coloration reminds me of C.d. 'Snow Sprite'.... at least on my monitor.

Thanks!

PlantMarker

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will list the conifers from front to back in order.

Cedrus d.'Snow Sprite'
    Pinus s. 'Pendula'
    Picea g. 'Pixie'
    Picea p. 'Mrs. Cesarini'
    Pinus s. 'Coney Island'
    Pinus h. 'Green Bun'
    Picea p. 'The Blues'
    Picea o. 'Pendula'

Along the fence: Platycladus o. 'Collen's Gold'
    Chamaecyparis l. 'Columnaris Glauca' Here's the rest of the island beginning with the Picea o. 'Pendula'
    {{gwi:773630}}

Dave

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

No pure white foliage is visible in photo. It is the white parts that burn. Specimen shown has either partly reverted and does not produce white foliage, or is not a 'Snow Sprite'.

• vancleaveterry
    15 years ago

Dave, you're an artist.

BBoy... My little one seems to be about the same color as Dave's, which I find pleasing enough. But if I remember right, the picture on ebay WAS whiter. I've only had mine a few months, is that perhaps a seasonal color?

Terry

• vancleaveterry
    15 years ago

Link below seems to be a little whiter than what I recieved. But I still love mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonzaibob

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Conifer cultivars often vary. Influence of rootstocks and cultivariance (characteristics of propagules affected by location of scions or cuttings on stock plants) are continuing problems.

I have found 'Snow Sprite' to be very delicate, with the burning of the all-white portions resulting in lack of normal development of the entire plant. We have a comparatively mild, cool and dull climate, less sunny than all other major metropolitan areas in the lower 48. The cultivar originated near here, on Vancouver Island.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedrus deodara 'Snow Sprite'

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks bboy for all your precise information. A self proclaimed garden expert and for some reason believes that if he comments on things all over the forums that he will build his reputation as a garden expert.
    I believe he is too cheap to spend any money on good plant material and because he can't he spends all his waking hours waiting for my next thread so he can jump in and disrupt it. Never have I ever had a positive comment from him on anything I have ever posted.

Like I asked you a year ago let's see what you are growing? Please post some photo's. You never did. We are all still waiting.

Never happen.

Dave

Dave

• greenlarry
    15 years ago

Thats a handsome specimen Dave,and lots of other nice trees too! I love the little blue Spruce poking out at the top too.

• plants77
    15 years ago

I have a similar plant, cream puff, that does have white new shoots, that do not burn in a very hot sunny spot.

while the northwest is duller and dreary in the summer it can be dry, maybe the extra humidity and moisture makes burning less of a problem in other areas.

And of course it could be mislabeled. that plant doesnt appear to have the new white shoots that group of plants was selected for.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

I've never encountered this particular selection experiencing tip sunburn here and I use them a lot in landscape designs - I've probably planted 12-15 in different situations over the years and none has had problems. In fact they are one of my favorite dwarf or small sized conifers. I guess it may be a matter of interpretation, but I'd not consider the tips or new growth white, either - they are more of more of a pale, creamy celadon color and why this selection wouldn't be hardy in most of the UK is a bit of a mystery. I've had one planted for nearly 10 years and with dcsteg's experience, I'd think that should support the contention that this cultivar is at least zone 7/8 hardy, which should cover much of the UK. Also, I would certainly not consider it "delicate" or any more fussy than a whole host of other conifers. To be blunt, my experience does not bear out bboy's contentions and we live in very close proximity, so not sure why he has had such poor experience.

My preference for this plant is because of the very pale coloring and soft texture and low, mounding/spreading growth habit. Personally, I'd find staking less desirable than allowing the plant to sprawl or assume a more prostrate habit. Just wish I had room for one in my own garden :-))

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really don't know why we there is so much bickering back and forth concerning this conifer.

I was asked if I had this conifer and would I post a photo in the GW if possible. The request was emailed to me from a forum member. So my 'Snow Sprite' is not quit like some one thinks it should be. Does anybody really care. I believe it to be as posted. I purchased this conifer from a grower that is well known in the trade and I have never had cause to question his integrity.

I have many conifers to share either at my home or in posted photos but I want to do this, when asked, without all this controversy.

I am at the point now that I wonder if it is worth it.

I am not a BS person. I grow what I show so don't bore me with quotes from some reference book or a prop photo from some big time nursery to discredit my good intentions.

I really enjoy enter acting with most of you so let's have fun.

Dave

• plants77
    15 years ago

"So my 'Snow Sprite' is not quite like some one thinks it should be. Does anybody really care[?]"

Not really. I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings or anything. I don't think the other poster was either.

It's nice. I like the color. And you're right at the end of the day it doesn't matter if it is correctly identified. I'm just saying for the record, that my 'cream puff' cedar, which is supposed to be similar I think (I believe they were introduced by the same guy), has much whiter shoots, which do not by the way burn in the sun.

I'm not trying to disparage your plant or garden. Both are great. But people read these forums for information so I think it's fair for people to make remarks like that.

also, even a well known reputable nursery could make a mistake. All of us make mistakes. Plus, you have no way of knowing if the well known reputable nursery even grew your plant. If it's a retail nursery the odds are that they did not.

I hope you continue to put pictures of your garden on gardenweb. The fact that people discuss them is a good thing, it helps people learn. Please don't take the discussion personally. The whole point of posting something on a forum like this is to inititate discussion and share pictures.

• prostrata
    15 years ago

one possible reason for dcsteg's specimens not looking to par might possibly be an inferior camera or possible shoddy camera work on the part of the photographer...it does seem strange for his plants to not exhibit proper characteristics of the cultivars in question...

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Plants77

I have no issue with you. Post on. I welcome and appreciate constructive criticism.

prostrata the camera is good and the photographer is not on the funny stuff. I suppose a higher quality camera would shoot a better quality photo but they are close.

"it does seem strange for his plants to not exhibit proper characteristics of the cultivars in question"...

What other plants are we talking about?

Dave

• plants77
    15 years ago

"one possible reason for dcsteg's specimens not looking to par might possibly be an inferior camera or possible shoddy camera work on the part of the photographer"

nice. now that's constructive. What constitues shoddy camera work these days? I just point and press a button. The cameras do everything now.

• prostrata
    15 years ago

hey I wasn't trying to come across rude or anything, I was just suggesting a possible explanation for your plants not having the correct color. I have personally seen snow sprite in person, and it had whiter foliage that the one in the above picture. As far as other plants, simply run a search for "dcsteg" on the conifer forum, and a lot of pictures of plants that don't seem to be exactly the cultivar you are advertising them to be, come up. But look, keep posting pictures, I think that your garden is beautiful, and I would love to see more pics.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Yes, I'd be wondering that also. If you mean the 'Snow Sprite', I find nothing specifically atypical with Dave's specimen - looks like all the others I've seen recently, well past the new growth for the season stage and with the coloring quite uniform throughout the plant.

• greenlarry
    15 years ago

Shoddy camerawork,geez louise that sounds quite insulting!

• plants77
    15 years ago

I went outside and looked at my little cedar, the white new shoots are not as white as when they were brand new, still lighter than those on snow sprite. Mine also probably started growing much earlier too in zone 8. I'll get a picture this weekend.

Does yours make another flush of growth in the summer Dcsteg? are those shoots white?

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

garden gal is right on and gets an A+.

This conifer is in it's Summer growing colors. In Spring it exhibited lighter color. The close up you see was taken today.

prostrata...The controversial subject matter regarding plants that don't seem to be exactly the cultivar you are advertising them to be, is usually started by the same guy every time. He will disagree with any and all subject matter I engage in.

Any way he is waiting for a new photo and I don't want to disappoint him. I know he has his reference books and prop photos ready. Ha

Dave
    {{gwi:628064}}

• vancleaveterry
    15 years ago

As I wrote earlier, mine looks the same as Daves, only smaller, and as I wrote earlier, I think both are beautiful. I certainly meant no disrespect when I posted the link to the photo from my supplier.

Terry

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Thanks, Dave!
    Please keep posting.

Josh

• bindersbee
    15 years ago

I'm almost scared to post this, but here's a picture of my 'Snow Sprite' Deodara Cedar. I have experienced a little bit of burning on the needles. Mine is in part-shade but I do live in an arid, hot climate (100 degrees is normal for July) so a little burning is not unexpected. Also, this plant is in it's first year so a little more suseptible to this type of thing. The plant in the foreground is a Weeping White Spruce- I LOVE the form of this tree. This is a new, unfinished planting bed.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Looks like the version Iseli shows and describes, with some yellow in it. See my link, above. Maybe they grew it.

• bindersbee
    15 years ago

My 'Snow Sprite' still had the Iseli tag on it when I bought it. The summer color is more like Dave's picture above, FWIW.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Like other small-growing conifer selections with colored foliage probably apt to become less dwarf and aberrant with age, in addition to being affected by grafted onto vigorous seedling rootstocks. And since there is a whole set of these Goddard deodars, some mixing of similar varieties in commerce seems likely. Plants sold as 'Snow Sprite' that aren't as dinky and delicate as it's supposed to be could be the same introduction behaving differently (becoming more vigorous and less white (and prone to burning)) due to aging or influence of rootstock, or the wrong item could perfectly well have been sold for years under the same name. When it comes to true-to-nameness, there is little safety in numbers.

'Cream Puff' is a most attractive new conifer, one of many selected in Alan Goddard's nursery in Victoria, Vancouver Island, Canada. All are gradually entering wider cultivation and are worth looking out for. 'Cream Puff' is the most vigorous of the following, making a small pyramid with creamy white foliage, brighter in summer. Pruning will enhance density...

Dwarfer, white-needled forms include 'Silver Mist', 'Snowsprite' and 'White Imp', all worth a try, though prone to wind and frost damage, especially when young

--Bloom/Bloom, Blooms of Bressingham Garden Plants (1992, Harper Collins, London)

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Forestfarm says 'Snow Sprite' takes pruning & sun. Clearly there is a discrepancy between what some have seen and what others are growing under the same name.

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"Clearly there is a discrepancy between what some have seen and what others are growing under the same name".

There always is...

I don't know how you would prune this thing without having that chopped off look. I did remove the two vertical leaders on mine to retard vertical growth.

Dave

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

See their web site for full description (and photo of their stock).

• dcsteg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If you are brave enough to post a photo of what you are growing then you automatically invite the whole world in for discussion. That is what this forum is for and is as it should be.

Sooner or later that thread will have a responder/responders that thinks maybe that is not the correct cultivar name because it doesn't quite look like theirs or a growers catalog description of said plant doesn't doesn't fit your description.

I take Dax's latest thread on Abies concolor 'Igel' as an example.

This forum is full of these issues. Because I don't have years of back ground in research in being able to to know if a conifer is correctly named I totally rely on the growers name tag. If I like the plant and it fits my into my scheme of doing things I buy it. If the species/cultivar name becomes an issue sooner or later it will iron itself out and I don't worry about it. 99 out of a 100 that come through my garden could care less. I always try to be as correct as humanly possible but trying to sort out all the discrepancies with regard to conifer species/cultivar correctness is impossible with every Tom, Dick and Harry grafting and selling conifers now. This problem will never go away and frankly I could care less one way or another. I am having to much fun.

Dave

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

>I have found 'Snow Sprite' to be very delicate, with the burning of the all-white portions resulting in lack of normal development of the entire plantToday I remembered to plunge into the border and check the label. It's not a 'Snow Sprite', it's a 'Deep Cove'.

D'oh!