Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Abies alba Photo Gallery 2010

Thought I had a bunch of these(still think I do!), just have to find the rest. Here's a handful of these wonderful 'silver fir' cultivars:

Abies alba 'Green Spiral'. Twisted contorted, weeping branches are the trait of this irregular cultivar.

Abies alba 'Pendula'. No confirmation of the cultivar but I believe it's as Edwin suggested - and needs staking.

'Pyramidalis'. Narrow upright plant with lush-green needles.

Abies alba 'Compacta'.

Abies alba. Species. Very tollerant so far of part to medium-shade.

Share any you'd like!

-Will

Comments (7)

• monkeytreeboy15
    13 years ago

Abies alba looks very similar to the Abies grandis that grow naturally here in the PNW!

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A few more today:

Abies alba 'Holden Arboretum W.B.'. I believe commonly sold by Iseli.

'Pectinana'. I recall a story behind this and someone else said this name was used for 'Pendula'? I need some help here, as mine looks like 'Compacta' but was clearly noted as different on the tag.

'Mlada Boleslav'. An unusually colored silver fir, mine gets part shade yet is still a light green.

Abies alba 'Schwardzwald'. A neat plant - mine is in moderate shade and finally waking up now in July!

-Will

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Will, Abies alba does have a great selection of cultivars.
    Some comments to your pics:
    'Pyramidalis': yours does have 2 leaders, I would cut off the right small one do it does have one single stem.

'Pectinata' isn't a cultivar of Abies alba.
    Abies pectinata is the old species name for what is now Abies alba.
    Yours looks like a compact seedling selection.
    I'm curious how this one looks like at an older age...

'Mlada Boleslav' is also known as 'Horák H.B.'

'Schwardzwald' must be written as 'Schwarzwald'.
    This one is also known as 'Badenweiler'

'Kamenná Lotha'
    {{gwi:689298}}

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Will, right on as usual. Blurry photos, schmurrry photos. I still see the plant. Stake up that Pendula. Looks like Pendula to me, as well. Save that second branch (always) until winter. It can be assumed Edwin would have said the same thing, too, being that he's a nurseryman. The wood will always be used, then, it's likely someone here on this forum becomes a recipient....

"We" do extreme gardening on the Conifers Forum. No little root divisions or none of that - athletes who broom & climb to amazing heights - and graft and send plants to those whom ask, or are already in circles. I think I have about 20 people whom I'm sending grafts to this year. Amazing.

Thanks chief.

Dax

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A few more Silver fir specimens I wanted to share:

Abies alba 'Havel'. Looks pretty compact.

'Bystricka'. About as small an abies alba cultivar I've seen.

-Will

• rispetto
    13 years ago

Abies alba Strela from Hanutkowo

{{gwi:776205}}

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Rispetto,
    I should be glad to know your adress mail for a contact.
    Clement :
    clement_anthoine@hotmail.com