Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Pinus mugo 'Sherwood Compact' photo gallery.

dcsteg
12 years ago

Description:

A choice dwarf and slow growing evergreen for smaller gardens, with shiny dark green needles and a mounded bun-like shape; extremely hardy, tough and adaptable, requires full sun, but doesn't require pruning to remain compact.

Dave

{{gwi:780859}}

Comments (12)

• ricksample
    12 years ago

Nice! I just planted a small version of this a few months ago... can't wait for it to get that large!

• severnside
    12 years ago

Ricksample - 'I just planted a small version of this a few months ago... can't wait for it to get that large!'

Same here.

Pinus mugo 'Sherwood Compact'

• severnside
    12 years ago

Does anyone know where the often seen 'Sherwood Compact' cultivar name originated?

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

It originated from the Sherwood Nursery from Portland, Oregon...

• severnside
    12 years ago

Thanks Conifer :) A quick web search found Bob Fincham writing about Andy Sherwood in the 1930s in relation to Abies procera 'Sherwoodii' so are all 'Sherwood' derived cultivars now historic with possibly the nursery and likely the man being no more?

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

He also found the Pinus longaeva 'Sherwood Compact'.
    If he was a plant founder in the 1930s, then the chance is very hight that he's now in the everlasting conifer fields ;0)
    But I'm not sure...maybe Bob can tell us.

• severnside
    12 years ago

Pinus aristata 'Sherwood Compact'
    Abies koreana 'Sherwood Compact'
    Picea abies 'Sherwood Compact'

His legacy if all his, lives on.

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

In the past it was Pinus aristata var. longaeva 'Sherwood Compact' which was incorrectbecause Pinus longaeva is a separate species.
    This means that Pinus aristata 'Sherwood Compact' doesn't exist, it's Pinus longaeva 'Sherwood Compact'...

Picea abies 'Sherwood Compact' isn't that compact at all.
    It's a narrowly, upright seedling selection.

I'm far from sure if Abies koreana 'Sherwood Compact' does exist.
    This is because Gordon Haddow is the only one who's offering this one and he's the champ in renaming plants...

• severnside
    12 years ago

Yes the Abies koreana 'Sherwood Compact' is being offered exactly 'from where' you suggest. I recently bought a Pinus uncinata 'Leuco-like' from them which they did warn me was 'open' formed still. As described really, I just hope it'll eventually thicken out like your specimen. As it wasn't expensive for a hard to find plant I took the risk, and the colour is a very good green.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

You can also add Tsuga canadensis 'Sherwood Compact' and Tsuga mertensiana 'Sherwood Compact'. Are these all really from the same Sherwood? Its like a forest of compacts...hmmm...Sherwood Compact Forest.

BTW Pinus mugo 'Sherwood Compact' also goes by the name 'Tiny'.

tj

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Tommy, you're almost right, a synonym for the Pinus mugo 'Sherwood Compact' is 'Teeny' instead of 'Tiny'.
    Oops Dave, it seems that you mentioned 2 of the same one here in differend posts...

• gardener365
    12 years ago

I've never heard of Abies koreana 'Sherwood Compact' either.

Labled 'Teeny' Bickelhaupt Arboretum - Yes of course this and 'Sherwood Compact' are one in the same.

Dax