Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abciximab

Cunninghamia lanceolata 'Glauca' shaping, prunning, propagagtion

abciximab
11 years ago

Cunninghamia lanceolata 'Glauca' at The University of Alabama in Huntsville (picture from google search) dense growth

I planted a 5ft Cunninghamia lanceolata 'Glauca' October 2011. My plan was to train/groom the specimen into a tall, tight, dense pyramid. I planted on it looking like a specimen seen at The University of Alabama in Huntsville website as shown above. Unfortunately, the leader was broken during shipping because very poor packaging of the seller. I'm trying to decide what to do for a new leader. Most literature I found says something along the lines as,

"Cuttings will grow into trees whose configuration depends on the branch from which they were taken. Cuttings from lateral branches produce wide trees with a round crown while cuttings of vertical shoots grow into the more narrow cone shape typical of the species.

So taking this into consideration...Will staking a new leader from one of the top side branches cause the tree to have a round crown? I've held out on staking a new leader hoping a new shoot will come thus creating it's own leader?

Cunninghamia lanceolata 'Glauca'

Leaderless

Suckers for propagation

I've seen several specimens growing that are tall and pyramidal in shape, but aren't dense. Is pruning or shearing required to create the dense apprearance or will it naturally fill in?

My tree already has several suckers growing from the base of the trunk. I plan on removing them and propagating this fall by rooting the cuttings. Anyone have experience with rooting Cunninghamia lanceolata? I'll root the sucker leader tip cuttings, but I'm hesitant to root the side shoot tips since the tree will have a rounded crown.

Any experiences or opinions are greatly appreciated!

Comments (2)