Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Sequoia and Metasequoia Photo Gallery 2010

Lots of great cultivars reside in these awesome species. Some are enormous, others are tiny miniatures. I'd love to see some plain old species photos here as well - they are all wonderful and need to be photographed.

Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Glauca'

Planted at 18" in June, this blue wonder has literally doubled it's size in two months. Awesome.

Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Pendula' - Eventually becomes an architectural wonder as it takes odd turns here and there as it skies upwards with the foliage weeping down hard.

Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Little Stan'. Highly unusual and tiny, this little thing grows a few inches a year.

Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Blauer Eichwerg'. Another great small dwarf.

Metasequoia glyptostroboides'Miss Grace'. A dwarfish, slightly weeping dawn redwood. I find the dainty foliage to be soothing!

Sequoia sempervirens 'Filoli'. Named after a legacy garden-estate in California, this beautiful blue coast-redwood grows at about 1/2 the rate of the species, or in other words, kinda-really-fast.

{{gwi:656701}}

Please feel free to show some of yours.

-Will

Comments (57)

• botann
    13 years ago

This was taken last Fall around the first of November.
    Click on the picture for more Fall photos of the garden.
    The two Dawn Redwoods are way in the back.
    Mike
    {{gwi:789778}}

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Ten Metasequoia that were a foot tall last spring when I planted them (2 years from seed).

This is the tallest:

Dax

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Metasequoia 'Sheridan Spire'

Metasequoia 'Silouette'

Dax

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike, your gardens are simply *awesome*. Must be a magical place to wander around, Fall or anytime.

Dax, when we do some a-tradin', I'll be begging for a graft of 'Silouette'!

• gardener365
    13 years ago

I sent about 15 cuttings to be rooted, Will, to a friend recently... Dax.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Dax, 'Siloutte' must be written as 'Silhouette'.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Sorry!

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

Nice pictures!

The blend of deciduous understory trees and evergreens is striking in the fall.

• famartin
    13 years ago

Nice thread... I'll be back in NJ in a week so then I can see just what my seedling Sequoia and Redwood have been up to, and I'll try to share.

• botann
    13 years ago

Metasequoia I planted in 1979.

{{gwi:789788}}

Cryptomeria j., 'Elegans' in the foreground.

Mike.

• cryptomeria
    13 years ago

Hello,

here in Europe we have a Meta which is identical or very, very similar to "Silhouette".Only the growth can be a little bit different. The needles are the same. This is named " Little Creamy " ( sometimes " Crème).

Wolfgang

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Never heard of it Wolfgang. Thanks for the tip.

Photo of a rooted "Silhouette" (*mist bench* July 1 till yesterday).
    50% takes. They root on New Growth. Hardwoods of species = 0%.

Dax

• botann
    13 years ago

Here's another angle.
    {{gwi:789790}}

• sluice
    13 years ago

Wonderful!

• evhrox
    13 years ago

Metasequoia are one of my personal favorites! I wish I had more than 1/4 acre to plant more of these beauties. Just added a Miss Grace that is getting the snot knocked out of it ( 100 degrees heat index for the past week). I would appreciate tips on how to upload pics - I have an approximate 8 year old "Little Giant" - have not seen much on the internet about this cultivar and would love to share with everyone here.

Thanks
    Bill in KC

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

Hi Bill. It has been upped nineties tapping a hundrex here in st louis also. My metaseauoias seem ok, my variegated beech is suffering.

To get pics on most message boards i use photobucket.com. Other sites like flickr work also. You can send pics straight from a cell to those two or upload from a computer. On your pic screen they give you a bit of html code you just copy into the message. On photobucket pics stay forever.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Link below, Bill.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Photo Posting from Photobucket

• evhrox
    13 years ago

Thanks for the how to lesson! I will post more in the fall

Bill

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

I don't have any Metasequoias, but I wish I did!

I do have a few Coast Redwoods on the property, however. Five in the back, three in the front.
    Pardon the trailer (from recent camping trip)...

Here's a pic of my group of three Redwoods...they're all supposedly blue cultivars,
    but only the Filoli Blue is truly, stunningly blue.

In this pic, you can see the Birch trees that I planted to oppose the Redwoods.

My favorite - Filoli Blue. I love the semi-pendulous habit, the color, and moderate growth.
    At the base, Western Sword Ferns, native Dryopteris ferns, and Giant Chainfern. By using ferns, I've
    locked moisture in the soil and created cooler greenzones.

One more Redwood on the other side of the trailer.

Now, moving out to the front yard. Maples closest to the road, then Redwoods, apple tree in the middle:

Josh

• gardener365
    13 years ago

That's awesome Josh. The fern idea is stupendous.

Dax

• jaro_in_montreal
    13 years ago

Metasequoia on UBC's Botany Photo of the Day !!

Here is a link that might be useful: UBC Botany Photo of the Day

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    13 years ago

Finally trying a hand at a Coast Redwood seedling myself. Just one for now. About 12" tall.

The giant sequoia are one of my favorite landscape tree too. Better suited here than the coast redwoodd I suppose. Near Portland that is.

Amazing how the coast redwoods were larger than Giant Sequoia in the 19th century.

Coast Redwood: Largest Living Tree Ever Recorded

• ryan_tree
    13 years ago

I've got one of each on my property. All right, the Coast Redwood isn't planted, it's in a pot, so I lied. But I plan on using it as bonsai one day. I do have Dawn Redwood and Giant Seqoia planted on my property though. I'll get some pics up in a bit.

• sluice
    13 years ago

Josh, the Filoli Blue is fantastic!

The first time I saw pictures of Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Pendulum', I thought it would be a fantastic tree to have.
    Unfortunately, it is rated at z7-9.

In September of last year, however, I was pleasantly surprised to see it growing at the Denver Botanic Garden. (ACS member)
    Hmm.
    {{gwi:655723}}

And then in October I stumbled across a nice specimen for sale at Paulino Gardens in Denver. (ACS member)
    Another Hmm.
    You know the rest of the story!
    We did have some cold weather last winter, and it turned all shades of bronze and purple.
    But it's green now!

• cryptomeria
    13 years ago

As information:

here in Europe Filoli or Filoli Blue is named Filile.

Wolfgang

13 years ago

Thanks, Dax and Nate!
    I appreciate the compliments!

I've read this information for the Filoli cultivars:

"The name of the estate is an acronym formed by combining the first two letters
    from the key words of William Bourn's credo: "Fight for a just cause; Love your fellow man; Live a good life."

Josh

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sequoia sempervirens 'Steel Blue'. A nice blue color. $25 end of the year sale - hard to beat that!

Closeup.

Metasequoia glyptostrobiodes 'Jack Frost'. Patches of silver/white in Spring/Summer.

Metasequoia glyptostrobiodes 'Gold Rush'. One of the first ten conifers I planted in the Spring of 2008. Now getting established and really running away. Here's a growth period stretching about 24 months:
    April 2008, 33 inches tall:

May 2009, 49 inches tall:

June 2010:

Today, August 2010, 98 inches tall:

Growing a good, solid 30 inches(75 cm) a year. Part-sun.

Metasequoia glyptostrobiodes 'Gold Dawn'. Similar to 'Gold Rush' yet a little more tender. I've planted this small specimen in dense shade.

-Will

• Rizzoinabox336
    13 years ago

I love this thread! I recently decided to reforest an area that the state has wanted to replant, but lacks the funds. I've always loved both Coast Redwoods and Sequoias and really wanted some near home. I live near Eugene, Oregon. So far I have 23 Coast Redwoods in the ground.
    {{gwi:789806}}From Marshall Island Coast Redwood Experiment
    {{gwi:789808}}From Marshall Island Coast Redwood Experiment

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

This topic start about 6 months ago and I guess I didn't pay attention to it...
    @ Wolfgang:
    'Silhouette' and 'Little Creamy' are both Dutch seedling selections, probably from the same seed bed.

'Filile' doesn't exist, it's 'Filoli'.
    I hope I helped you with this info...

• PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    13 years ago

Dax,Thought you might find this interesting.

http//arnoldia.arboretum.harvard.edu/pdf/articles/712.pdf

john

• botann
    13 years ago

I like the fluted trunk of Metasequoias. Branches should be left on as long as possible to get this effect. In my case with this tree, the lower branches died because of too much shade. I then removed them. I am also removing the Alders that caused the shade. Alders make nice firewood.
    Mike
    {{gwi:789810}}
    Thuja plicata in the background on the left and right.

• cryptomeria
    13 years ago

Hi Edwin,

Nelis told me he sent 'Little Creamy' to USA, telling not to use a name first, but after a while he saw this plant under the name 'Silhouette!. But the story was longer, I forgot a lot.
    'Filile' you can read at Nelis Redwoodgarden-website. And I may say, this name is identical to the cultivar ' Filoli'.What's the right name, I do not know. but if you say, I will use ' Filoli'. So that's a mistake at Nelis website.

Wolfgang

13 years ago

From my August 24, 2010 post:

I've read this information for the Filoli cultivars:

"The name of the estate is an acronym formed by combining the first two letters
    from the key words of William Bourn's credo:

"Fight for a just cause; Love your fellow man; Live a good life."

Josh

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Awesome poetry, that sums it up well.

Rizzoinabox336 - I love it dude. There's an area along the Mississippi River that I have had the desire to plant a grove of Metasequoia... and my high school classmate is now in charge of the horticulture department for the city. I donated a flat of about 30 Metasequoia's to him about 5 years ago that were all one-year seedlings in 5" tall tree pots and I was recently too, 'pleasantly surprised' to see about an eight foot tall seedling growing "front and center" in front of the horticulture building, this summer...

Thanks for the photos. Good luck with your project -

Will - exceptional photos.

That little korean fir losing its' needles... next to Jack Frost needs a combination of more light and less water to revive it.

John - I can't connect to that link. I'm redirected to wikipedia about hyperlinks ?

______

Dax

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Will - next to the 'Gold Dawn'.

botann from your post on
    Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 15:36
    what's that weeper on the right? It looks like a Sequoia.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Dax & Will,

It's 'Golden Dawn' instead of 'Gold Dawn'.

All 'Gold Rush' named Metasequoia must be renamed in 'Ogon' because that was the first name given to it in Japan...

• botann
    13 years ago

Dax, yes, that's what it is. A little weak though because of the Sapsuckers. I have two of three Weeping Sequoias left and both are being attacked by these birds.
    Mike

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

That isn't a Sequoia but a Sequoiadendron, there's a huge difference between these.
    Giant Sequoia make's more sense...

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I plan on adding many pictures to this thread this Summer. in addition to a few new cultivars, I was also able to obtain seedlings of Sequoiadendron giganteum and sequoia sempervirens. I plan on planting these in various conditions, some in full sun(with TONS of water), some in part shade and others in moderately filtered shade. Then I plan on documenting the growth rates with photos. Few conifers grow with this kind of speed and it should be very educational for me at least to see how they do in various light conditions. What I have read is that generally plants in full sun will be thicker, healthier and slower growing(at least initially), where as plants in more dense shade will rocket up seeking the sun. It would be great fun to have a 20 meter coast redwood in 10 years.

Dax, a couple things, first one of my photos didn't come through - the S.g. 'Golden Dawn' specimen at least and I plan on taking a new photo this Spring. Also that little poor burning plant is Taxus baccata 'Aurea Stricta' and it burned in full sun. This was newly transplanted and it seemed to recover very well in part-shade.

-Will

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Will, I think you mean to say M.g. 'Golden Dawn' instead of 'S.g. 'Golden Dawn'...

• botann
    13 years ago

Coniferjoy, thanks for pointing that out. It just slipped by me....has for years, now that I think about it. You're right, it's a huge difference. Weeping Sequoiadendron, rather than Weeping Sequoia. (Sequoiadendron giganteum, 'Pendulum')
    Thanks again.
    Mike

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Mike, there's a true weeping Sequoia sempervirens available in The Netherlands which it's a very rare one with the cultivar name 'Pendula'.
    I think the only U.S. weeping form is 'Mt. Loma Prieta Spike'.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

I was just being generic, I agree Sequoiadendron of course. And I don't want to start a fight over it right now ;o).

Well Will, good luck.

Dax

• botann
    13 years ago

Here's some more Giant sequoias I planted some time ago.
    {{gwi:789813}}
    They need some thinning. I started out with 100 seedlings. Sold most.
    Volunteer Thuja plicata seedling in the foreground.
    Mike

• gardener365
    13 years ago

How tall are your Sequoiadendron's Mike? Were those planted 30 years ago?

Edwin, sorry for repeating the wrong name which is 'Golden Dawn' of course... I knew it when I wrote it, I just had that notion to continue typing to later be blasphemed! :-)

Dax

• botann
    13 years ago

Dax, I just went out and did the 45 degree thing with a carpenter's angle finder and used a tape. Crude, but all I want is a close estimate in this case. I ended up with 20.11679 metres. (66 ft.) About two feet a year on average. Thin, soil and no irrigation.
    Mike

• gardener365
    13 years ago

I appreciate that Mike. I was curious.

Thanks,

Dax

• botann
    13 years ago

The trees in the foreground were planted much later.
    Mike

• nelumbo
    13 years ago

My pretty Metasequoia is here: http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee400/Sequoiadendron/ This is Metasequoia, and it is not a hybrid or sort. It grows in Estonia and is 1-year old boy.

Denis

• s8us89ds
    9 years ago

All this tree-planting is wonderfully encouraging! But if you want to get serious about reforesting your property, then you're just scratching the surface by planting these mostly token specimen trees. If you want to see the fastest and most lush growth, then Mother Nature can do that with a little guidance. She does it with things called pioneer species and secondary succession. You basically need to turn the turf grass into patches of fallen leaves and pine needles that stay undisturbed on the ground all year long. It may sound messy or ugly, but it will explode in lush, native growth within a few years. With a little thinning and pruning, you should be able to guide an assortment of naturally-sprouting tree, shrub, and vine seedlings into a gorgeous patch of woods. It's kind of like "letting things go wild"...but with some guidance and assistance to Mother Nature. You won't read about it in most gardening resources. You'll get better information from forestry experts. It's inexpensive, simple once you get the hang of it, and produces unparalleled results.