Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crypper

welcoming a new cultivar

crypper
12 years ago

. . . never seen before. A decade ago, Bob Fincham went to work experimenting with crossing a couple of very nice Picea abies cultivars with quite different characteristics.

Picea abies 'Gold Drift' was the pollen donor and Picea abies 'Acrocona' held the female strobili. Now he's getting ready to offer the best of his results to the public. Another fun part is that he's selling the remaining original plants to anyone who wants them. I decided I wanted one. I haven't made my mind up yet as to what to name this fine tree, but I have some ideas.

Here is the original plant, dug and potted last spring. The roots have pushed to the bottom of the pot and this year's growth looks quite healthy.

A close up of this year's growth clearly shows the Acrocona parentage along with the weeping habit and golden color of Gold Drift. The foliage however, is quite fine and light, quite different from the coarser growth of the parents.

Last year the terminal leader grew a cone. This year, the leader pushed right through it.

I'll be watching this branch. It's much thinner and wispier. A branch mutation?

Along with the original plant, Bob provided a couple of older grafts he did a few years ago to determine how true-to-form the plant stays in propagation. I planted these in the hottest, sunniest part of my garden. Late in the summer the plants are almost white with no burned needles. It remains to be seen how many needles fall before next year's spring push.

. . . and that's not all! Along with the original plant and the 3-year old grafts, came a bucket of babies, fresh grafts for me to grow on to sell or use as gifts.

Many thanks go to Bob and his never-tiring contributions to conifer collecting and knowledge.

Dave

Comments (14)

• gardener365
    12 years ago

There's the deal of the century folks. I too appreciate all that Bob's done for me.

It looks like you do have a mutation. You should (imo) have (1) of those (3) shoots grafted this winter. I would. I don't know why but folks say when a sport starts, it becomes imperative to get it propagated asap. I suppose one reason is to have a back-up if your plant croaks, or if a branch breaks, etc-. It could also be likely the plant dynamics of their genes can also cause a quick reversion back to the original. I know that to be true for Thuja occidentalis, in particular.

Best Regards,

Dax

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Hi Dave, I would be very proud to receive such a big original beauty from Bob!
    Can you tell us why Bob didn't gave it a name before he spread it among collectors?
    It looks to the one he named 'Summer Daze', maybe Bob can jump in to clearify all this...

• crypper
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Edwin,

Bob decided only to name and register his favorite 6 cultivars. The others are offered to the public. He sold me the original plant plus its naming rights. In addition, I can propogate it and sell it as I choose.

Yes, my plant is similar to 'Summer Daze' with a slight difference. My plant is strictly pendulous, while 'Summer Daze' seems to curl upward at the branch tips a bit.

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

Wonderful Dave. I am onboard as well. The cultivar I have selected from Bob's great new introductions is more mounding and weeping with perhaps less bright gold then your selection. I plan on naming it after my mother once it's planted. Perhaps we can do a scion swap! :)

Thanks for sharing, hopefully this thread can be used any any and all who partake in Bob's great offering.

I'll post photos later in Fall.

-Will

• crypper
    Original Author
    12 years ago

finally the weather in Washington is starting to turn cooler and wetter and it's time to start planting everything I've collected over the summer. Here's Picea abies 'Anita's Golden Cloak' planted out in the landscape. I think it'll do quite nicely here.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Yes indeed. It will look good draping over the rocks.

tj

• gardener365
    12 years ago

It looks good Dave.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Dave, now you created a nice variety of colours in your garden :o)
    'Anita's Golden Cloak' is a nice name for this nice plant.

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

Made another great visit to Coenosium Gardens yesterday and Bob let me take this beauty home. Allow me to introduce:

Picea abies 'Catharine's Golden Heart'. Named after my mother who's lived a life of charity towards those in need. It has a moderately pendulous spreading habit, golden needles though this specimen was kept in part-shade after it was dug/potted and has all the makings of a heavy-coning plant. Some cones were complete and lead to a terminal branch, while others made a partial cone and should push more growth next year. It is similar to a golden 'Acrocona' with perhaps a more pendulous habit.

A completed cone.

The color it displayed in near full-sun at Coenosium Gardens.

Like Dave, the deal came with twenty healthy young grafts which will be slowly distributed to friends, family and some other collectors.

-Will

• bobfincham
    12 years ago

Hey Dave and Will,

I like how you guys used the plants in your landscapes. I knew they would have good homes when I sold them to you. It was almost like giving up two members of my family (diehard collectors know what I mean.).

Bob

• gardener365
    12 years ago

bravo Will. I like the name Will. There will be many red hearts to see.

Dax

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Crypper, I would love to own one of your 'Anita's Golden Cloak' grafts. Please email me if you are willing to sell. I couldn't email you from your user name.

• arceesmith
    12 years ago

These new seedling cultivariants of Bob's are very cool! I particularly like 'Anita's Golden Cloak' and would love a couple scions off of that one!

Now, friends, regarding the name's of these new cultivars, personally I love the creativity behind "Golden Cloak" and "Golden Heart" and I certainly understand the sentimentality behind wanting to have a loved one's name attached to it, but... (I do not mean to hurt anyone's feelings here)... It seems the cultivar names would be much more effective without the addition of the peoples names. I know, many conifers have been named in honor of wives and daughters and lovers, etc. in the past. Perhaps I'm thinking from a marketing perspective and not a collector's.

Thanks for listening. :^)

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

another one of Bob's new spruces: Picea abies 'Honey Pot'
    Bob describes this plant as a "slow growing plant [that] is broadly spreading with nice yellow foliage. The needles are small and the branching is dense. It is almost globose and is staying quite dwarf. Coning hasn't occurred yet, but I have expectations that as the plant ages the cones will appear."
    Similar in coloration to 'Gold Drift'

-Sam

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County