Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19694066

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Blue Surprise'

User
16 years ago

I bought one of these in a gallon container a few months ago, a very solid-looking specimen, and it's been sitting out on my deck. In the last few weeks it's started to brown significantly--the brown seems to start at the bottom of a twig and work its way up until the whole twig is dead. The top, however, seems very happy and is growing at a pretty rapid clip.

We have very mild temperatures and a lot of humidity where I live (coastal CA) and it gets watered about once a week (a regime which suits almost all my other plants, including the "Pembury Blue" right next to it). I'm pretty sure I'm not overwatering, but maybe I'm underwatering it?

Somebody help me before I kill it completely!

Comments (10)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

The "surprise" part of 'Blue Surprise' is that it survives at all. For some reason, this is a particularly problematic cultivar of Lawson cypress and was responsible for the majority of failed conifer returns at my previous nursery (current one doesn't even carry it). I suspect it is overly prone to Phytophthora or other root rots.

The symptomology is pretty typical for one on the downhill slide and I'd guess recovery to be unlikely. However, without knowing more about your weather and rainfall patterns, it is also quite possible that, in a container situation, once-a-week watering may not be sufficient. FWIW, dwarf Lawsons like 'Blue Surprise' as well as most other dwarf cultivars of Chamaecyparis are especially well-suited to container culture. With only a couple of exceptions, I grow my entire collection of dwarf conifers, including a wide variety of Chamaes, in containers on a permanent basis.

• Mike Larkin
    16 years ago

I had one growing in a large ( 2x4 x18"deep) hypertufa trough for about 3 years. Had no problems. Then it was getting too big for the trough and placed it in a much larger container and slowly it began turning brown. I still have it and it still has some blue , but mostly brown.
    It sounds like I need to put it out of its missery -
    No reason to try to keep alive!

• karinl
    16 years ago

My experience with plants in their sales pots - not just conifers - is that if the root ball has exceeded a certain size relative to the pot, the soil in the pot can no longer hold enough water to feed the roots; even if you soak it the roots suck in dry inside a day. And the root ball is so tight that when you water, the water just runs down the inside wall and out the holes. Try taking the rootball out of the pot and seeing how wet it really is after you water.

Another August blah is that plants seem more prone to root rot - in this case, you keep them watered well, maybe too well, and with the higher temps the roots seem to literally poach.

It's a bit of a catch 22, watering plants in pots in August.

KarinL

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Gardengal48, I had no idea it was so delicate. I think you and KarinL are right, it's probably caught something. Maybe it's worth trying it in the ground as pineresin suggests. If it dies, well, easy come, easy go.

Interestingly, I did repot it from the nursery container as KarinL suggested, and just like plantman56, it was shortly after that when I started noticing this. Maybe Blue Surprise just hates having its roots disturbed.

• jaro_in_montreal
    15 years ago

"The "surprise" part of 'Blue Surprise' is that it survives at all. For some reason, this is a particularly problematic cultivar of Lawson cypresscolor>"

Taking the above caveat to heart, I expected my 'Blue Surprise' to promptly croak, after I obtained it a couple of years ago (from Colvos Creek).

Lo and behold, it seems to be quite happy -- no reaction whatsoever to the relatively long winters here.
    What seems to be making a difference is that its planted in a sheltered place that receives at most a couple of hours of direct sunlight a day....

Anyhow, keeping my fingers crossed....

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

The Colvos Creek stock is grown from plants I brought back from England in the mid-90s.

• tegek_comcast_net
    14 years ago

After coming home with a (rather expensive) blue surprise last spring I was disappointed to read so many people commenting on their problems with this plant. I planted it in the ground in full sun in late June. I kept it well watered though a hot summer - many 90 to 100 degree days. By the end of summer it had grown from 18" to three feet. Although winters can be very mild in Oregon we had a few weeks of 20 degree weather in December, followed by a very warm January. It has already grown another 4" this spring and has always maintained a beautiful, healthy appearance. I couldn't be happier with this plant!

• PRO
    KDS Designs
    7 months ago

Hey folks! Landscaper here who loves this specific gorgeous unique shrub. I have found the solution to our “surprise if it survives” situation. I myself have had more than ten die on me in a gorgeous professional design I installed. The straight species dies of a root fungus. Two were more expensive and labled (Guardian Series) Cham Blue Surprise. The rootstock “Guardian series” is the only one to buy. MUST BE ROOT GRAFTED ONTO IT!
    They are amazing fully grown healthy and gorgeous. Only buy Guardian Series root stock. Worth every dollar extra for the mature species.

Other suggested similar replacement of this would be Juniper Skyrocket (Juniperus Scopulorum) more greyish than blue though.

Hope you enjoy lessons learned and problems solved reading this first.

• sam_md
    7 months ago

Thanks to KDS designs for reviving this old thread. It is worth stating that the OP lives in coastal CA.

My REJECT LIST is taylored to eastern US. I would love to see someone in eastern US show pix of healthy, successful lawson cypress on Guardian series r/s. Otherwise give citations of same. They don't appear to be a reality for us. I also mentioned J. scopulorum, I've never seen a healthy one.