Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

Favorite pungens

For those that still consider GW home I can still remember when these kind of posts drew wide response. Sometimes 30-50 hits.

I love the species pungens. They are all unique with the many cultivars now available in the trade.

One of my favorites is Picea pungens 'Waldbrunn'. I especially like it for its unique color.

Mine is grown from a seedling and will never produce a central leader. Those grafted will put up a leader.

For your enjoyment and of course I would like to see some response as to your favorite pungens posted here too.

Dave

Picea pungens 'Waldbrunn.

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 21:52

Comments (42)

• wannabegardnr
    9 years ago

I just have one at this point. I got Picea pungens 'Glauca Pendula' after seeing yours, and after reading your recommendation that it is better than 'The Blues'. Not much to look at yet, but I was surprised by lovely purple pollen cones this spring.
    Here is a close up that I posted before.

• plantkiller_il_5
    9 years ago

I hope this will be my favorite 'Skyline'
    pic is from Kady's Fall ,vt.
    mine,from C.K.,is painfully small,,not planted yet.
    ron

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Wow Dave, That's a tough question looking for a fav. I went outside and counted eleven.
    Heres one. ' St. Mary's Broom '.

• Pat z6 MI
    9 years ago

I think I'm in love.

• plantkiller_il_5
    9 years ago

still my fav. until skyline grows a ft. or two or six
    Glauca Procumbens
    ron

dave, how did you get a seedling of waldbrunn ?
    what's the story

• Garen Rees
    9 years ago

Ah man, dangit dave! Now I may have to find me a 'Waldbrunn'. =)

I like 'St. Mary's Broom' too. Here's my little one.

• Garen Rees
    9 years ago

This was a really neat one that I saw at Rowe Arboretum, Cincinnati.

Picea pungens 'Millbrook #1'

• Garen Rees
    9 years ago

Okay, so the weepers are absolutely fantastic. I've decided Picea pungens 'The Blues' is my fav this year. My 'Pendula' barely grew so it was't much to look at. That's a hard one to decide as they are both great and slightly different in their growth habits. That 'Skyline' looks very similar to the 'Blues' in habit.

Picea pungens 'The Blues'

• gardener365
    9 years ago

This probably isn't my favorite but I don't know what is. This is my seedling-selection I named 'Violette Beauregarde'. The yellow cast to the needles and the blue color is quite lovely. This is a 10-year old plant. The upper most shoots grow 7" a year approximately and the side shoots grow 3-4" per year. In its earlier years the upper shoots grew steadily at 6" per year (years 5-9) so it's gaining a little oomph now that it has reached that 10-years old marker where vigor picks up.

Photos from Sept. 2014

Picea pungens 'Violette Beauregarde' seedling selection Dax Herbst USA

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

A favorite pungens is pretty tough ecspeically in my climate where it does well (except 30 years down the road).

Fav intermediate 'Straw'
    {{gwi:746190}}

Fav dwarf 'Pali'
    {{gwi:746193}}

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is an interesting follow up on an earlier post of this cultivar in GW.

Also another link from planet conifer.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=502643193198615&set=gm.853630344666954&type=1

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Picea pungens 'Waldbrunn.

• garcanad
    9 years ago

Nice thread.
    My favourite is Picea pungens 'Spring Ghost':

• qwade
    9 years ago

I will also go with Picea pungens 'The Blues'

• maple_grove_gw
    9 years ago

Lots of great photos here! It would be very difficult to pick a favorite, but I really like my 'Walnut Glen'.

Picea pungens 'Walnut Glen'

-Alex

• coachjohnsonlp
    9 years ago

Picea pungens `Maigold'

Similar to Spring Ghost

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

'St. Mary's Broom'

tj

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

I personally love threads like this one. I am new to conifers and having been lurking for a bit and looking at all your great pictures. I just planted my first conifer last weekend, Picea glauca Pendula and I am on the lookout for some more conifers to add to my garden. I really like the St Mary's Broom. What kind of growth rate does it have? I am looking for ones that are smaller since my yard is not big.

That Pali and Spring Ghost catch my eye too!

Thanks for sharing!
    Linda

• DGG1
    9 years ago

While I have no good pic (its a spring thing), my favorite pungens that I grow is 'John Paul II'. I think it also is known as 'Bialobok'. The whitest of the white new growth that I am aware of on a colorado (less yellow/cream compared to 'Spring Ghost' or 'Marigold'). Doesn't last long in my neck of the woods as it gets warm (hot) fast in spring. 'Blue Fingers' is a cool one (and easy to find; CK)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Linda- My 'St. Mary's Broom' was bought as a 1 gallon in 2002 and is now about 4 feet wide and 28 inches high.

tj

• jarpe
    9 years ago

This is strange one. It has no known name. Parish of oulainen have bought bunch of picea pungens seedlings that are some blue line from seed. One of them seems to be golden form, possibly spontanious mutation. Others are more normal with different shades of greyish blue. It has habit of not growing upwards.

• conifer_rick Quigley
    9 years ago

Here is my Picea pungens 'Slenderina'

• conifer_rick Quigley
    9 years ago

A Picea pungens 'Globosa'

• conifer_rick Quigley
    9 years ago

A Picea pungens 'Saint Mary's Broom'

• conifer_rick Quigley
    9 years ago

A Picea pungens 'Saint Mary's Broom'

{{!gwi}}

• conifer_rick Quigley
    9 years ago

A Picea Pungens 'Slenderina'

• gardens1
    9 years ago

Wow, great pictures, everyone! I have not been on in some months, but decided to take a few minutes to indulge this morning. Garcan, your Spring Ghost is looking magnificent! Whaas, your 'Straw' is beautiful, and your choice of mulch colour really shows it off. Garen, I so enjoy seeing pics of how you have transformed your space in a short time. In the photo of 'The Blues', what is the globular golden conifer behind it? Man, it glows! Thanks, everyone.

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now known to be factual. 'The Blues' and 'Slenderiana' both the same cultivar with 'The Blues' being the correct cultivar name.

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Thu, Sep 11, 14 at 22:53

• Garen Rees
    9 years ago

Dave, thanks for mentioning the info about 'Slenderina' and thanks for starting this thread. Threads like this are the best. We should get a few more like this going.

Thanks Gardens1. The globular golden conifer is Taxus cuspidata 'Nana Aurescens'. I got lucky as it was a clearance buy in 2012 from the horrible looking plant rack. Once in the ground it recovered nicely and bounced back the next year. Mine grows nice and slow so far. I have seen ones in pots at the nursery shooting out some major growth. Probably due to the fertilizer in the pots. It takes full sun quite well with very minimal burning. I expect it to not burn at all once it gets more established.

Keep the photos coming.

• socome
    9 years ago

My favorite is Picea pungens procumbens, here in my southern Maine garden by the driveway and stone wall this AM. I have it in bright dappled sun and it's been doing well so far; I hope it will keep it's bright sky blue in this spot.

Love your white and yellows in pungens - I need to keep my eye open for that - I have nothing in that combination in my gardens now! :-)

• firefightergardener
    9 years ago

This thread is like the ones we used to enjoy years ago but the forum moderators came down on and was one of the causes I left the GW forums. If they're willing to allow these galleries in the main section - which isn't asking for the moon, then I'd be willing to participate again.

I don't think it takes a genius to understand the benefits of more people coming to view pictures here on their site and the comments above clearly indicate a positive response from the readers of GW.

-Will

• gardens1
    9 years ago

Amen to that!

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Looks like its being allowed! Make your contribution and welcome back!

• plantkiller_il_5
    9 years ago

Will, I don't understand,what's the difference between posting here or the galleries. it's kinda all the same place,no?
    I wasn't around for brouhaha.
    ron

I think the extra space is great
    and check both daily

This post was edited by plantkiller.il.5 on Thu, Sep 18, 14 at 20:36

• pineresin
    9 years ago

Pinus pungens

;-)

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Another for the mix. 'The Blues'

• conifer_rick Quigley
    9 years ago

Over the top Al. Great color contrast!

• midwest_dave
    9 years ago

My favorite is probably the one I don't have yet. 'Wisconsin Cream' or 'Straw' I like very much but am out of room and already have many in pots, waiting for a spot to open. From my garden, this 'Sunshine' was rough from the start coming root bound and un-trained. It had a rough first year but is quickly turning the corner and will be "free" come spring.

'Sunshine'

-MWD

• Sara
    9 years ago

So far I have only 1 pungens, Picea pungens 'Glauca Baby Blue Eyes' (pardon the bed its a work in progress), recently planted. Really helpful seeing how everyone has grouped conifers (and in some instances JMs and perennials) together.

• plantkiller_il_5
    9 years ago

Picea pungens 'Glauca Globosa'

43 in x 74 in

ron

This post was edited by plantkiller.il.5 on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 21:20

• nwconifergarden
    9 years ago

Another vote for St. Mary's Broom

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

I like this thread alot. Heres a pungens that was purchased as 'Slenderina'. I know the story...so heres my 'Slenderina' / 'The Blues'.

Al

• miclino
    9 years ago

Picea pungens St. Joseph Broom. Easily puts the P. pungens St. Marys broom I have to shame with how blue it is.

This post was edited by miclino on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 22:33