Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Chamaecyparis photo gallery 2011

This species of conifer is accountable for thousands of cultivars, many very similar but also many wildly different and unique. There are many amazing cultivars available and though I have a small smattering of them from my gardens to share, surely some others here can add to this gallery.

This, moreso then any other species gives me naming fits and I'll rely on help from Edwin and others here to correct and ID plants in my collection.

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Butter Ball'. Golden-green. No burn, very slow.

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'White Pygmy'. Edwin identified a different plant in my gardens last year with this name but I've seen reliable sources here also calling this the same thing. Can this be figured out? This plant doesn't seem to grow but sit there and glow. I swear it's the same size as when I planted it four years ago.

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Gimborn Beauty'. Possibly confused with...

Chamaecyparis 'Split Rock'. Pretty sure this is 'Split Rock' though, it has more blue to it. A nice plant either way.

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Chirimen'. One of the best, a little unusual thing. I cut back the heather to prevent them from overwhelming this small specimen.

Unknown. Gift from Larry Stanley. He's a gem(the plant AND the person).

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Blue Feathers'. Highly textured and quite blue.

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Goldilocks'. Moved to a new spot since it grows so quickly.

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Lemon Twist'. Getting pretty large as well. Something will give.

-Will

Here is a link that might be useful: Chamaecyparis gallery 2010

Comments (39)

• crypper
    12 years ago

Hi Will,

pretty sure the gift from Larry is ChamObt 'Flabelliformis.' I received a very similar gift at a conifer conference a few years ago.

• hostagreencare
    12 years ago

Chamaecyparis pisifera "Plumosa compressa" one of my favorites Don

• hostagreencare
    12 years ago

Chamacyparis pisifera "Squarrosa minima" nine years old and only two feet wide.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Cham. pis. 'Baby Blue Ice'

Cham Obt. 'Chirimen' (also a gift from Larry Stanley)

{{gwi:635353}}

Cham. obt. 'Nana'

{{gwi:401557}}

A few years ago some critter dug out and must have overwintered under that 'Nana'. I was about to replace the soil when I figured they might do it again so I stuck a rock in there. Niwaki at it's most base. ;-)

tj

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Love the rock under the root of your 'Nana', tj!

a few of mine:
    Chamaecyparis thyoides 'Ericoides'

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Saffron Spray'

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Baldwin Variegated'
    {{gwi:682469}}

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Moonlight Lace' (Can you tell I really like variegated plants?????) :0)
    {{gwi:682472}}

-Sam

• bluespruce53
    12 years ago

Sam, I would be interested where you got your 'Moonlight Lace' ... looks good! and new to me!

• taxo_man
    12 years ago

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Plumosa Aurea'

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Plumosa Aurea'

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Squarrosa'

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Squarrosa'

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Plumosa' I believe? This is a clone I grew.

Not 100% sure on what this is.. I cloned this from a tree i liked.

J

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

I got my 'Moonlight Lace' from Don Howse at Porterhowse Farms, bluespruce.
    This cultivar was discovered at Iseli Nursery.
    The variegation has suffered some burning now, so I recommend shade, which is where I hope to move mine in the fall.

-Sam

• botann
    12 years ago

Chamaecyparis obtusa, 'Nana Aurea'.
    I planted this just over thirty years ago.
    It shows a little damage on the bottom due to dog pee. For the most part, my garden is dog friendly. My friends bring their dogs to my garden for exercise. I haven't had a dog for over ten years. No need to.
    Mike

{{gwi:798081}}

In the background is a Chamycyparis obtusa, 'Gracilus Aurea', aka Gold Hinoki. (I hope I got that name right)

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Wowwww Mike, that's an incredable old and very nice specimen of a 'Nana Aurea'!
    May I use this pic for the Dutch Conifer Society Database?
    Many thanks in advance!

You're almost right with the 'Gracilus Aurea', it's correct full name is Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Gracilis Aurea' ;0)

• botann
    12 years ago

Thanks Edwin. That makes sense.

Sure, go ahead and use it.

Mike

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Kosteri'. SUPER slow growing. I've had this plant for three years and I swear it is the same size it was when I bought it. 'Baldwin Variegated' to the right.

'Little Markey'

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Blue Surprise'. Lacking daylight on half of the plant, as you can probably tell!

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Silver Lode'

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Curly Tops'.

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Saffron Spray'.

More tomorrow and as always, I appreciate any corrections folks(Edwin!).
    :)

-Will

• maple_grove_gw
    12 years ago

Is C. pisifera "Plumosa compressa" the same or different from "Plumosa compressa aurea"? (The picture above of the former does look somewhat gold, and I know that sometimes the names become truncated).

What is the relationship between this (or these) and "Plumosa aurea"?

Thanks,
    Alex

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Alex, "Aurea" means gold. This is the difference between 'Plumosa Compressa' and 'Plumosa Compressa Aurea'.

My guess would be that 'Plumosa Compressa Aurea' is more compact than 'Plumosa Aurea', but maybe one of the more experienced members can verify..

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

My comments to this great topic:
    Will, can you show us the pic of that other one which I identify also as 'White Pygmy'.
    I like to compare these and then I'll tell you what I think...

Chamaecyparis obt. 'Gimborn Beauty' and Split Rock':
    Your pics are showing us simular plants and I think that both are the 'Gimborn Beauty'
    The Juvenile foliage of this one is blue while it's adult foliage is green.
    From the 'Split Rock' both the foliages are blue and it's side branches at the top are pointing down...
    Please see the link for the true 'Split Rock' because these are mixed up in the trade...

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Blue Feathers':
    I think it's just a synonym for 'Arneson's Compact'...

Chamaecyparis pisif. 'Silver Lode' must bin written as 'Silverlode'.

Your 'Curly Tops' isn't the true one, it's tops aren't curled...it's the 'True Blue' which you're showing us.

Hostagreencare, your Chamaecyparis pisif. 'Squarrosa Minima' is in reality Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Nana'...

Tommy, I realy like that 'Baby Blue Ice' which was found as a branch mutation on a 'Baby Blue'.
    Unfortunately it's not availlable in Europe. (yet)

Sam, your Chamecyparis thyoides 'Ericoides' is in reality a Chamaecyparis thyoi. 'Red Star' aka 'Rubicon'...

Taxo Man, your unknown own propagatred one looks to me as Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Plumosa Vera'
    Please shown another pic when it's a bit older when it's a bit bigger...

Alex, the relationship between the 'Plumosa Aurea' and the 'Plumosa Compressa' is that both are cultivars of the 'Plumosa group'.
    'Plumosa Compressa Aurea' doesn't exist,it's just 'Plumosa Compressa'.
    The golden foliage is just the new growth which will turn to green at a later time...

Here is a link that might be useful: true 'Split Rock'

• botann
    12 years ago

This Chamaecyparis was made from a cutting I started years ago. I spotted the original tree in a garden in Seattle, and after asking permission, I obtained enough material for three starts. The owner did not know the name, nor do I.
    The tree is a light blue with gold tips.
    Mike
    {{gwi:798088}}

• botann
    12 years ago

Here's a nice specimen of Chamaecyparis obtusa, 'Mariesii' that has been growing in my garden for a few years.
    Mike
    {{gwi:798089}}

• rispetto
    12 years ago

{{gwi:798090}}
    obtusa Cannon Ball

{{gwi:798091}}
    obtusa Gitte

{{gwi:798092}}
    lawsoniana Bregeon

{{gwi:798093}}
    nootkanensis Pendula

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Mike, can you show a close up pic of that Chamaecyparis that you propagated by yourself, maybe then I can help you with it's id.

That 'Mariesii' must bin have cut several times because of it's upright form.
    This is the first time I see one with does have one leader, normaly spoken it's growing habit is like a bush form.
    Your's does have the shape of a pagoda :0)

Rispetto, your 'Cannon Ball' isn't a Chamaecyparis obtusa but a Chamaecyparis pisifera cultivar.
    It's full name is Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Spaan's Cannon Ball'.

That Chamaecyparis obt. 'Gitte' is a pretty new one to the trade.
    It's found by my Dutch friend Peter Schrauwen as a branch mutation of a 'Tsatsumi Gold'

Your Xanthocyparis (Cupressus) nootkatensis 'Pendula' isn't the true form.
    Please see the link for the true 'Pendula'
    Your's does have the shape of another cultivar, the 'Jubilee'...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• botann
    12 years ago

Here's a close up picture, Edwin.
    {{gwi:798094}}

Good eye on that 'Mariesii! Yes, I did prune out the larger side branches when it was younger.
    Mike

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Hi Mike
    Unfortunately your close up pic isn't clear for me to say which conifer it is.
    It looks that it's seed cones are round so it's a Chamaecyparis obtusa cultivar.

Please can you cut off a small branch (about 20cm)and take a pic from above in a shadowed place so I can see it's good colour and texture.
    If possible make also a deatail pic of the seed cones.
    Thanks!

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Rimpelaar'

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Sam, that's a very nice 'Rimpelaar' pic!
    It's found as a mutation on a Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Ellwoodii' at the Snepvangers Nursery in the Netherlands and is named after the street were this nursery is located...

Is it grafted or from a cutting?

May I also use this pic for the Dutch Conifer Society database?
    Thanks in advance!

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Hello, Edwin.

I purchased this plant from Talon Buchholz's Nursery where it was grafted onto their special disease-resistant rootstock. Thank you for the history behind it.

You most certainly can use it for the database!

Cheers
    -Sam

• PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    12 years ago

Great post. One of my favorite conifers. Especially obtusas.
    C.o. Kosteri

C.o. Vokel's Upright

C.o. Reis Dwarf

C.o. nana 20 yrs old

C.o. Douglasii

C.o. Lycopoides

C.o. Rigid Dwarf

C.o. Bess

More tomorrow, John

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Great stuff, John. It's also one of my favorites. Good to see bigger 'Reis Dwarf' and 'Bess' to give me something to look forward to with mine. Any larger 'Meroke' or 'Joel Springarn'?

tj

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Beautiful pics John!
    We seldom see them of old specimens.
    Friendly I would also ask your permission to use these for the Dutch Conifer Society database.
    Many thanks in advance!

• PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    12 years ago

Tsuga,Sorry no Meroke or Joel Springarn.Sold a beautiful 5' Meroke Twin to a customer a few yrs ago. I'll visit someday and get a photo. Thank you Edwin, Yes please use them. I visit that site often.
    John

• PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    12 years ago

A few more obtusas-

Chamaecyparis obtusa Golden Nymph (in Oregon Nursery)

C.o. Prostrata

C.o. Prostrata - cones

C.o. Wells Special

C.o. Sunny Swirl

John

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

John, thank you also for the other pics.

As a nurseryman you know that 'Prostrata' means "Flat Growing" while the one at your pics doesn't show that habit.
    Are you sure that you're showing us the right one?

Some find by me and yet still unnamed:
    Broom found on a Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Squarrosa'
    {{gwi:798123}}

Mutation found on a Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Squarrosa Albospica'
    {{gwi:798126}}

• PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    12 years ago

Edwin, Nice finds. I particularly like the first selection. As to c.o Prostrata it has always confused me but I think ,oddly enough that the name is correct. I also have a Cedrus libani Aurea Prostrata that shoots up like a rocket. and of course there's Abies koreana Prostrata which is at best described as upright and mounding! None of this makes sense of course, but until I find otherwise I keep things named as I recieve them.
    This year I have found an unusual amount of sports on Chamaecyparis obtusa clones. Some are very interesting. As i have time I will photograph them and post them on this forum.
    John

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    12 years ago

More often seen dead than alive
    C. Lawsoniana 'Tiny Treasure'. Been in that bed for 6 years now.

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

It's just Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Treasure' instead of 'Tiny Treasure' which originated as a variegated mutation found on a 'Ellwoodii'...

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    12 years ago

Thanks - and did I ever have that name wrong - meant to say 'Treasure Island' - Tiny Treasure is the nursery source. Seems to me I recall someone commenting about Treasure Island/Treasure before but it didn't stick with me.
    Marshall

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

'Treasure Island' was found as a witches' broom on a 'Treasure' found by the Treasures Nursery from Salem, Oregon.

'Treasure' was found by Floravista Gardens from Vancouver, Canada.

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

I meant to say Tiny Treasures Nursery instead of Treasures Nursery...

• sluice
    12 years ago

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Filip's Golden Tears'

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Nate, that's a nice specimen!
    As you can see it made a double leader, one of these could be used again for propagation :0)

• blue_yew
    12 years ago

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Intertexa' a very rare form