Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Sciadopitys verticillata Photo Gallery 2010

I don't have many but I hope that changes, as the 'umbrella pine' is a magnificient and unique conifer that should be planted much more often then it is.

First a random photo of Mt. St. Helens visit I made last week. An amazing place.

Sciadopitys verticillata 'Joe Kozey'. A relatively narrow cultivar that grows fairly quickly.

'Ossorio Gold'. One of the most beautiful conifers I have, this cultivar was no doubt selected or named in the gardens of the late Alfonso Ossorio who had an extensive collection on the East coast of the US. My first plant burned in full sun and was moved to full shade, my second more brazen attempt gets about 2-4 hours of direct sun and 5-10 hours of indirect/filtered sun. I think it might be brighter with more sun but it's such a great plant I didn't want to risk too much sun yet.

'Sternschnuppe'. A great name for a great dwarf umbrella pine.

Unknown cultivar, has unusual colors including mildly gold or varigated needles.

A closeup. Gets about 2-3 hours of direct sun and the rest filtered.

'Mitsch's Select'. Dwarf for sure.

-Will

Comments (17)

• kmanzfive laknee
    13 years ago

Great start to your collection.
    My Sciadopity collection consists of:
    'Sternschnuppe #1'
    'Sternschnuppe #2'
    'Vertigo' being introduced next year, reportedly very columnar
    'Picolo'
    'Orange Weeper'
    'Riches Cushion'
    'Ossorio Gold'
    'Robert Herting'
    'Aurea Varigata'
    'Fireworks'
    'Tumble Weed'
    'Golden Wonder'
    and on there way 'Hindu Godess' and 'Explosion'
    Just picked up a 14' Sciadopity for free from a lady who is selling her house. I hand dug the root ball. Approx 5 feet across. And then my crew and I installed it at my home. A beautiful/perfect specimen. Sciadopity is my favorite conifer. They are so unique.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

These are a couple of my own selections:
    'Little Filip'

'Mireille'
    {{gwi:774610}}

'Filip's Tiny Treasure'

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Kevin, you have a nice assortment of Sciadopitys.
    can you show us a photo of the 'Orange Weeper'?
    Thanks!

• kmanzfive laknee
    13 years ago

Hey Coniferjoy

I will try. I'm just learning my new computer and camera.
    It's going to take a little bit. If I can't post in a timely manner, I will Email it to you. Its about a 3 year graft. Not too much to look at yet, but its seems as the growth comes out and after sometime that it knuckles over.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another umbrella today from my collection:

Sciadopitys verticillata 'Picola' - A very compact dwarf.

• rispetto
    13 years ago

{{gwi:809638}}
    Sciadopitys verticillata Grüne Kugel

• curcubeu
    13 years ago

Who knows where can I buy seeds?

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Hi curcubeu,
    Probably F.W. Schumacher or Sheffield's. Neither website is working at the moment.

Hi rispetto - I've seen gorgeous conifer photos from you for a while now. would it be ok if I were to save your photos for use with the American Conifer Society Database along with the European Societies: British Conifer Society, Dutch Conifer Society? Please send an email to me along with your name so I/we may credit you as the photographer to:
    conifercollector@hotmail.com
    Thanks, yes or no.

Dax

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sciadopitys verticillata 'Pyramidin'. A semi-narrow cultivar that grows quickly.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Hi Will,
    I think that the cultivar name should be 'Pyramiden' which is "pyramid" in the German language.
    My opinion is that this cultivar is not so special because almost every Sciadopitys seedling will grow into a pyramid form...

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You're probably right on both accounts Edwin, it was an 'extra' plant from a local collection stash but I like conifers and so it will grow in my pot! :)

• blue_yew
    13 years ago

I have sciadopitys verticillata 'pigmea' photo will appear
    soon.

• curcubeu
    13 years ago

Somebody else knows sites where I can buy seeds of this conifer?

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Hi Euan, 'Pigmea' must be written as 'Pygmaea'...
    This is a cultivar like 'Sternschnuppe' also with thicker needles but is a more dwarfish form.
    Very nice choice!

• botann
    12 years ago

Yesterday I visited the Hulda Klager Lilac Gardens here in Washington State, not for the Lilacs, but for a Sciadopitys.
    Supposed to be the largest in the state.
    Mike
    {{gwi:809642}}

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Off the charts Mike.
    Thank you for posting.

Dax

• toucanjoe
    12 years ago

Will the yellow tipped one could be 'Pearlenglanz' Joe