Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Abies koreana(nordmanniana?) 'Starker's Dwarf'

Clement expressed some doubt that this cultivar was Abies koreana and after examining it myself I have doubts as well. Some photos:

I can confirm it is the 'right plant' though perhaps mislabeled at some point as nordmanniana. I'll leave any definitive opinions to those in the know.

I could use some help on others, if you have time also:

Picea mariana 'Nana'?? Any of these different plants??

Picea meyeri? Will I know only when I get cones?

Picea omorika ...? Was unlabeled at a farmer's nursery. Guessing 'Pimoko' but I'd love to hear a guess or a confirmation.

Abies alba 'Aurea'? Bought as Abies cephalonica.

Pinus parviflora 'Shikoku(bought as 'Shikoku-Goyo'). Clearly different then Clement's plant in this year's gallery with no variegation..

*and* I have this description from Don Howse when I bought the plant:

""Pinus parviflora 'Shikoku- goyo'- The name "Goyo" means "White Pine" in Japanese. So when it is added to the cultivar name we are being redundant, saying both Pinus parviflora, and also 'Goyo'. Shikoku' is an island name in Japan, so I suppose this is a cultivar selected on that island. It seems popular with bonsai enthusiasts as it forms rough bark. It has bluish-green short needles, and is an upright growing small tree with an irregular habit. ""

Bought as (Abies chinsiensis 'Prostrata Glauca'), which is clearly is not. Even a vague clue what species it is?? Any guesses or hints? Purple male pollen cones.

Finally, Picea breweriana 'Wustemeyer'? Had tags swapped last Spring. Think I finally got this one.

Thanks you guys! I'd be lost without your help.

-Will

Comments (9)

• jth97381
    12 years ago

Well, it looks like nordmanniana, but there are several species that look similar. And the last one is deffinately not breweriana. But I couldnt tell you for sure what they are. More imput is needed.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Darn, the last photo is a duplicate error. Here is the photo I mean to attach to Picea breweriana 'Wustemeyer'.

• jth97381
    12 years ago

Now that looks closer to a Brewer Spruce. I dont have experience with the cultivar though. Best of luck.

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Will, the needlecolour in combination with these buds make the 'Starker's Dwarf' a cultivar of Abies nordmanniana.
    Please learn by yourself by cut a small branch of your species Abies nordmanniana for comparison.

The Picea mariana 'Nana' is true to the name.
    Lots of nurseries will name this one as Picea glauca 'Echiniformis', which it isn't.

The Picea omorika 'Pimoko' looks also right.
    It's a coarser broom and easy to propagate.

Abies alba 'Aurea' isn't right, it isn't yellow at the first place.
    Because of it's pretty upright sidebranches it looks to me like a 'Fastigiata' or 'Pyramidalis' but this is still to early to say because of it's small shape yet.

The Abies chinsiensis 'Prostrata Glauca' could be right, its older needles does have a blueish colour...
    chinsiensis must bin written as chensiensis.

Picea breweriana 'Wustemeyer' is allmost right.
    In this case 'Wustemeyer' must bin written as 'Wuestemeyer' because at this forum the double dots at the u isn't possible, then an e must be placed behind the u.
    The true name for this witches' broom is 'Wuestemeyer H.B.'

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Edwin, thanks for all of this assistance.

The 'Starker's Dwarf' cultivar I had always thought looked unusual for an Abies koreana but I did not really question it's Abies koreana designator for two reasons. First, it's widely distributed by Iseli Nursery, one of the most prominent, older nurseries in our country. See the link below. Also I have seen unusual leaf formations on other conifer cultivars(Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Fretsii' comes to mind), so I figured it was just an odd-needled form of Abies koreana. Much appreciation to both Clement and yourself for verifying what we had began to suspect.

Clement had also posted a photo of Abies chensiensis and the needles looked very different from this form, almost sharp and more light green. More discussion is needed here as I'd love to know what this beauty is, both for future trading and proper labeling.

Notes also made about Picea breweriana 'Wuestemeyer'. I appreciate the help Edwin and my database continues to be sharpened slowly like a knife thanks to your endless assistance. Your value to these forums is as great or greater then any other.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iseli's offering of Abies koreana(actually nordmanniana) 'Starker's Dwarf'

• clement_2006
    12 years ago

According to Edwin,just a little reserve about :
    Abies chinsiensis 'Prostrata Glauca'

Here are the true Abies chensiensis, look like holophylla but needles not so radial and longer,big clear buds.
    I know the name "Prostrata Glauca" from sometimes with some doubts, but now I'm sure it's a mislabeled plant.
    (1 more) sorry.
    Clement

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here appears to be the correct Abies koreana 'Starker's Dwarf'. A recent purchase.

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Will, did you replace the tag allready from the "fake" 'Starker's Dwarf'?
    That's a quick move ;O)
    I'm still not sure if you're right now because this new 'Starker's Dwarf' doesn't look like a straight Abies koreana cultivar to me, looks like a cross with Abies balsamea or it's a true Abies balsamea cultivar...

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Edwin, you've got my on my feet, making changes, fixing some tags that were really bad(not all spelling errors may be fixed anytime soon on my tags at least), and my records are becoming more detailed as I begin to appreciate the conifer lore and proper spelling/origins information more.

Naturally I'll(we'll) monitor this new specimen and examine it in the years to come.

-Will