Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantmarker

Pinus koraiensis 'K G' (aka 'Gee Broom')

plantmarker
15 years ago

Hi Folks -

Can someone please give me information on the growth rate and growth habit of Pinus koraiensis 'K G'? I've heard nothing but glowing reports on it, so I am now trying to figure out how much room to give it when I order it.

Anyone got a photo of an "older" one?

Many thanks!

PlantMarker

Comments (41)

• gardener365
    15 years ago

I don't know. Maybe 2" per year. Beautiful color as you've heard which is correct. Appears as a small plant to be anywhere inbetween a globe, cushion, etc - at 2" per year maximum, you won't need to worry for a long time. It's too new man. Call Gee's in person. I doubt their plants are much older than my friends. He gets all the new stuff when it's grafted from brooms. His plant might be 10" across and 7" tall.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Hi PlantMarker,

Unfortunately I don't have an older plant of this 'K.G.' in my Pinetum but I can tell you that this witches'broom only take a little space in your garden.

Pinus koraiensis 'K.G.'

Other witches'brooms from Pinus koraiensis are:
    'Blue Ball

'Spring Grove'

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

call gee's ... and ask for kerry ... gee ... probably aka KG ... and ask her about her namesake ...

it is sometimes hard to get a hold of her ... but she knows everything ...

ken

• gardener365
    15 years ago

I like those coniferjoy. Pinus koraiensis & parviflora are my favorites.

May I use your photos for adding to the American Conifer Society Database? You'll get credit for the photos. Please send an email to:
    seedsandplanttrades@yahoo.com

Best Regards,

Dax

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

here's a photo of my young Pinus koraiensis K.G. (Gee Broom)
    {{gwi:822511}}

• gardener365
    15 years ago

That's a sweet little ball of sugar right there.

Dax

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

Plantmarker,
    Where will you be ordering it from? It is a beauty!

• plantmarker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Probably from Gee, from whence it originated and for whom it's named.

If not there, then maybe Arrowhead.

PlantMarker

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Hi Dax,

I tried twice to sent you an e-mail to e-mailaddress you mentioned here but'you didn't receive it because I got the messages back after one day.
    Please try to reach me by this Garden Web e-mail.
    Thanks!

• gardener365
    15 years ago

I sent an email coniferjoy.

Dax

• billb
    15 years ago

Hi Guys,

Sorry, I usually don't have enough time to keep up with all the conversations that go on here. Too bad, lots of great topics.
    Anyway I can give you some information about this cultivar. Gary Gee found it in his arboretum on a Pinus koreansis 'Winton'. The broom has died in the past year but there are quite a few in cultivation. It is a very tight broom considering the length of the needles. It would probably benefit greatly from the occasional cleaning on dead needles. Gary told me this year that he was "probably" going to name it 'K. G.' after his wife Kay Gee and his daughter Kerry Gee. I was at Gee Farms a couple of times this past winter and they have a good supply of this broom that are from 1 to several years in age. It's a great selection.
    Bill

• henksgarden
    15 years ago

Hello Bill

Do you have photo's of the original Broom ?

Henk.

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

I hope Bill doesn't mind me posting this, he was there at the time.

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

Perfect picture bluespruce. I was hoping to see the growth characteristics of it's parent Pinus koreansis 'Winton', as there are conflicting descriptions of it.

Thanks,
    Barbara

• plantmarker
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Barbara -

Interesting that you should bring that up. I was told by Don Howse that in the USA, for the most part what is sold as P.k. 'Winton' is actually P.k. 'Tabuliformis.' P.k. 'Winton' is almost exclusively seen in Europe, he says.

PlantMarker

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

The name of Gary's daughter is Kary Gee instead of Kerry Gee.

• billb
    15 years ago

Steve, Thanks for posting the photo. I have that exact same photo but i also have the one with the hat and glasses on it. Actually the grafted broom is very similar to the parent only smaller.
    I never knew exactly how to spell "Kary's" name so it this is the correct spelling thanks.
    Bill

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    15 years ago

Speaking of Kary - has anyone seen her house lately - especially the terraced landscaping in the front lawn? Gary took me out to view it back in I think 2000 and it was rather interesting at that time and I wonder what it looks like today with that many years growth.

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

Bill, I have the one with the hat and glasses to, but couldn't find it, go ahead and post that one,I'd like to see it again.

• billb
    15 years ago

Steve, Here is the photo. The terraced landscape is not at Kary's house but at one of Gary's other daughters, sorry but I cannot remember her name. It still looks cool. If not just follow the link.

I have never attached an image so I hope this works.
    http://65.114.89.210/webphotos/Pinus_koreansis_GeeBroom_ACS.jpg.

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    15 years ago

Thanks Bill. Maybe I need to make the trip up there and look for myself and take some pictures. Any excuse to visit the nursery LOL

• billb
    15 years ago

OK, I figured it out. Sorry for the bad post. Once I posted it I realized what I did and had to wait until someone else made a post. I'll know better next time.

{{gwi:822513}}

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    15 years ago

Nice pic, Bill!

By the way, you can 'double post' as long as you change the "subject of posting" line.

Josh

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

Love it!

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

I have heard about a 4th Pinus koraiensis witches'broom with the name 'Baldwin W.B.'
    Is someone familiar with this broom?
    Picturematerial would be very nice!

• redwingconifer
    15 years ago

coniferjoy-

sorry, don't have a picture of it, but I've seen a Pinus koraiensis 'Baldwin's WB' listed in the catalog of Gee Farms.

I'll try to get a photo of one the next time I'm out there-or I'll just take a picture of the one that I buy : ^ )

• clement_2006
    15 years ago

Edwin & ...
    If I'm well informed, Pinus koraiensis "Baldwin's W.B."
    are not a broom of Pinus koraiensis.
    Clément

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

One of several new koraiensis brooms from China.

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Bluespruce,

The hand we see at this picture is it from Jörg or from Franz?

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

Very good Edwin.

• tunilla
    15 years ago

Conifer-grower and hand-identifier...some talent!!! T.

• redwingconifer
    15 years ago

I was out at Gee Farms today and took a look at their Pinus koraiensis 'Baldwin's WB'. It definitely is not a "broom" of Korean Pine. It may be a dwarf of some degree, the grafted plants that I looked at appeared to be pretty vigorous. I did not purchase it, although I did pick up a Pinus koraiensis 'Jack Korbit'- I've been wanting this pine ever since I saw this picture(below) at the Buchholz site.

Here is a link that might be useful: P. k. 'Jack Korbit'

• gardener365
    15 years ago

What up with that Shannon? No pictures? Still wouldn't mind seeing Baldwin and your new purchase.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

I'm also waiting for a 'Baldwin' picture so we can see what it truely is...

• redwingconifer
    15 years ago

I will get a picture next time I'm at Gee's...doh!

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

coniferjoy - you will have to make do with photos of a couple of new grafts for 'Baldwin's WB' until Shannon can get to Gees. I am disappointed if it's not really from a witches' broom though.

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Thanks for the picture Bluespruce,
    I also hope it's a witches'broom of Pinus koraiensis.
    On the other hand Clément mentioned that's possible that it's not a witches'broom of Pinus koraiensis but maybe from another Pinus species.
    I think it's an U.S. cultivar, is there nobody over there who can give us the right information?

• gardener365
    15 years ago

I can. Monday. I will write a note right now to call Gee's. I will also ask if they could provide me with a photo.

Dax

• gardener365
    15 years ago

Gary Gee told me it grows at least 6" a year and that the color is what is good about it. He didn't think it was a wb either. I didn't ask for a photo.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Dax,

A photo of this plant was the most important thing we need because I and several others think that this isn't a Pinus koraienis cultivar but a Pinus strobus cultivar.
    Does anybody know who this Mr. Baldwin is?

• gardener365
    15 years ago

Yes, you're right. I screwed up there but I had asked Gary for so many favors all at once that I didn't want to push my boundaries at that moment.

I will email Kary Gee for a photo.

Dax