Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprucebud

A few pics

sprucebud
13 years ago

Picea pungens 'Maigold' in the foreground (and small picea pungens 'Sunshine' on the right)

Abies concolor 'Sherwood' and beautiful panicum virgatum 'Northwind'

View

My new (this year) yellow bed

Pinus strobus 'Angel Falls' and heather

Abies koreana 'Verdener Dom' cones

Picea omorika 'Aurea' and others

Lastly, one of my favourites picea omorika 'Zuckerhut'

Richard

Comments (24)

• tunilla
    13 years ago

Hi Richard. Yorkshire is 'clearly' the place to be right now . Great pics . We are having the Med coming down on us at the moment. Thanks for sharing . T.

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Richard, don't know Abies concolor 'Sherwood', there is a 'Stanwood', or Abies procera 'Sherwoodii' (syn. Aurea)

• sprucebud
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, sorry. I believe the correct name to be Abies concolor 'Sherwood Blue'.
    Richard

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

If that's the correct name Richard, it's new to me, where did you get it ?

• sprucebud
    Original Author
    13 years ago

David Ward gave me the plant last year. He had it in a pot and felt he could not incorporate it into his garden. I'll have to double check but I am pretty sure that was the cultivar.
    Richard

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Richard and Stephen, Abies concolor 'Sherwood'/'Sherwood Blue' does exist...

Here is a link that might be useful: Abies concolor 'Sherwood Blue'

• sprucebud
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Picea abies 'Tütsberg'

Picea omorika 'Elisabeth'

Picea abies 'Filip's Mystic Black'

Picea engelmannii 'Cineiga'

Abies koreana 'Kohout's Hexe'

Picea abies 'Vermont Gold'

Picea abies 'Emsland'

Picea omorika 'Treblitzsch'

Richard

• jaro_in_montreal
    13 years ago

Nice to see what a big P.o. Treblitzsch looks like !
    .....I got a small one this spring, without really knowing what I was getting.
    Thanks !

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Hi Richard, your 'Filip's Mystic Black' looks great!
    The needle color is very dark green and the shape is nice compact pyramidal.
    I selected the original one in 2002 at a christmas field plantation because of these characteristics.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Showy plants. Just a few minor suggestions:
    I'd clip those leaders or any vigorous shoots off Treblitsch (spellcheck: no z in Treblitsch) and for P.o. Elisabeth I'd find a strong shoot in the middle of the plant and stake it.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Hi Dax, Richard wrote the 'Treblitzsch' in the good way...
    I checked this last year at my friends from the Czech Republic and they confirmed it as I mentioned.

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Great plants Richard. Your garden is, at least in my opinion, entering the 'peak stages', where plants have plenty of size, character, color and form while still being plenty small enough to show many in one view. I really like the miniature picea engelmannii and I marvel at how well your golden plants have colored yet show no sign of burn. Perhaps your climate is perfect for them?

Thanks for sharing,
    -Will

• kleckas
    13 years ago

Concerning P. omorika 'Treblitzsch', usually the following story is being told: "Cultivar was found as a witch's broom in Germany around 1977 in a park at Treblitsch, Belgen".

Let's try to find Belgen in GER... But if you look for TreblitZsch park in BelgeRn, you may succeed - hit the link.

The only question: how Czesh friends are involved here?

Here is a link that might be useful: Treblitzsch (Belgern)

• gardener365
    13 years ago

I double-checked a book and then went to Bob Fincham's website to confirm the spelling of TreblitSch.

I only knew it looked incorrect when I saw the spelling with the Z.

Maybe Bob Fincham can tell us what he knows. I'll send him an email.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Dax, why should you ask Bob as I did all the work for you before?
    Bob is not from the Czech Republic, my friend overthere are...
    'Treblitzsch' it is!

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Only to see what he may or may not know... that's all.

There's no problem with that is there, and besides, I already sent him the email.

So you're right. Great. There's no harm here. Maybe Bob will learn something... ever thought of that?

Dax

• bobfincham
    13 years ago

According to Welch/Haddow it was found by a German and introduced by a German Nursery and there is a Treblitsch Tree Park near a place named Belgern.

Treblitzsch, 04874 Belgern, Nordsachsen, Sachsen, Germany is the actual address of the tree park

Just because a Czech friend says this is the correct spelling does not make it so simply because he/she is a Czech. Anyone can determine the correct name regardless of nationality. Even me, although I am not Czech. Anyone can also misspell names regardless of nationality.

I can search the internet as good as anyone else when it comes to verifying names and now that I see it needs a 'Z' in the name I'll be adding it.

I even found this listing on an European nursery list: Picea omorika 'Treblitz'

Bob

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

Well people, I have it listed as Picea omorika 'Treblitzsche', with an e! on the end, what do you say to that ! ;0)

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

I think it's very clear that this witches'broom is named after the park were it's found, which is the Treblitzsch Park.

The Czech friend also knows this info and that's why he mentioned it this way.

Stephen, you're the only one in the world who named it as 'Treblitzsche', you have to remove the e.
    I googled 'Treblitzsche' and a G.W. Forum topic from a while ago were you took part of, it was the only item I could find written it in your way, see the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search

• bluespruce53
    13 years ago

I seem to have it spelt both ways Edwin...depends on which of my lists I'm looking at , at the time ;)))

• in ny zone5
    13 years ago

Sorry to add more about Treblitzsch. I googled and read in the Ginkgo Forum of April 2010 (translated from German) that... Park Treblizsch (location of the Omorika spruce, from whose witches broom the dwarf form Picea omorika Treblitzsch' came)....
    They must have marked that famous tree very well.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Nice info, can you make a link for us to this article?
    Thanks in advance!

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Now I've learned something and etc-!

Regards guys,

Dax

• in ny zone5
    13 years ago

This is the address :
    ginkgopages.blogspot.com/2010_04_01_archive.html

The German text is a DDG contribution within the paragraph entitled :
    'April 21, 2010