Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monkeytreeboy15

new additions at Albers Vista Gardens

monkeytreeboy15
12 years ago

Hello, everyone. I thought I would share with you some of the new conifers we have gotten this year at Albers Vista Gardens. Most of these plants are from Porterhowse Farms, Coenosium Gardens, or Buchholz & Buchholz Nursery. Enjoy!

Abies squamata (Flaky-Bark Fir):

{{gwi:843548}}

{{gwi:843550}}

Abies pindrow var. brevifolia (Abies gamblei)

{{gwi:843552}}

{{gwi:843553}}

{{gwi:843554}}

Abies beshanzuensis

Pinus virginiana 'Sunset' (a yellow-green bushy form)

Pinus aristata 'Silver Heels'

Pinus parviflora 'Miyajima'

Abies koreana 'Silber Perle' ('Silber Mavers')

Tsuga canadensis 'Everitt's Golden'

Picea omorika 'Pévé Tijn'

Abies koreana 'Kristall Kugel' ('Crystal Ball')

Pinus flexilis 'Navajo'

Pinus sylvestris 'Gold Coin' (starting to turn gold)

{{gwi:613146}}

Pinus peuce 'Arnold Dwarf'

Larix decidua 'Cherry Valley'

{{gwi:692461}}

Abies procera 'La Graciosa'

Calocedrus decurrens 'Berrima Gold'

-Sam

Comments (10)

• clement_2006
    12 years ago

It's not Abies squamata, but probably Abies recurvata.

Also, it's not Abies pindrow var. brevifolia but 1 Abies of delavay group.
    Abies pindrow var. brevifolia also named Abies gamblei

Clement

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Very nice plants of a good quality!
    Some questions:
    Pinus virginiana 'Sunset'
    Is anyone familiar if this one is a seedling selection or a witches' broom?

Abies koreana 'Silber Perle'
    Must bin written as 'Silberperle'
    Why do you use 'Silver Mavers' (not 'Silber Mavers') as a synonym for 'Silberperle'?
    I always had in mind that these were 2 differend cultivars...were does this info come from?

Abies koreana 'Kristall Kugel'
    Must bin written as 'Kristallkugel'
    The German English translation will bring it to 'Chrystal Ball' which is illegitimate.
    Breaking news is that this one isn't a German cultivar at all!
    Some investigation by me and Henk results that this one is an American selection and the original cultivarname is 'N. Degrees'...oops!

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Resin, I had my doubts as to "Abies squamata"'s authenticity. However, it looks totally unlike the Abies recurvata var. ernestii we have in the garden...
    Are you saying that you think it's Abies delavayi?

Hey, Edwin. I don't know the history behind Pinus virginiana 'Sunset'. However, my opinion is that it grows unlike a witches' broom and is probably a seedling selection.

Don Howse told me that he believed the plants were identical and there is no noticeable difference between them.

Thanks for your input!

-Sam

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Sam, greats shots of some great cultivars.

Any chance at some wider angle shots to see how you are useing these in groupings?

• severnside
    12 years ago

'Cherry Valley' nice name. Real place?

Damn, I hope my 'Gold Coin' gets it's yellow on like that soon. Great pictures.

• sluice
    12 years ago

Super!

Looks like the collection there is shaping up nicely!

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Monkeyboy...Those are some very nice looking conifers. I sure like Abies pindrow var. brevifolia (Abies gamblei).

What is on the needles of Pinus aristata 'Silver Heels'? Is that wax or pests or just what that particular variety does.

Calocedrus decurrens 'Berrima Gold' is stunning. I have not grown this type of plant. I suspect it probably is not hardy here eh?

Abies procera 'La Graciosa' I like the combination of the blue and green needles of this tree.

Thanks for sharing the photos. Very very nice.

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What you see on Pinus aristata 'Silver Heels' are spots of resin that are exerted from the needles.

Calocedrus decurrens is only hardy from Zone 5-8, so it probably would not be a wise selection for your area.

I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures!

-Sam

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Yep, they are nice Sam. I surely enjoyed em.

Dax

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Any chance at some wider angle shots to see how you are useing these in groupings?"

Yes! Here are a few shots of some groupings we have done. I try to group plants together that have complimentary colors (blues with golds, etc.) Also, I put an emphasis on creating a variety of textures in each bed. They are only in the rudimentary stages, and these plants are still only 3-5 years old on average.

Enjoy!

This bed features a variety of pine trees from all corners of the world. (The Isle of Pines) ;0)
    (From left to right: Pinus pinea 'Montreaux', Pinus flexilis 'Navajo', Pinus aristata 'Silver Heels', Pinus banksiana 'Chippewa', and Pinus cembra 'Stricta')

The bright gold of Pinus sylvestris 'Gold Coin' on the left is a great companion for Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Rimpelaar' to the right. The three plants in the background from front to back are Abies x bornmuelleriana 'Barney', Picea smithiana 'Ballarat', and Larix gmelinii 'Romberg Park'.

Landscaping with lava rock!

A Cupressaceae arrangement: Cupressus duclouxiana centerpiece, surrounded by Microbiota decussata

Also, here is Thuja plicata 'Holly Turner', a semi-weeping form of Western Red Cedar.

There are some more pictures on our Facebook Page (link below) if you would like to see more! You don't have to have a Facebook account to view the collection.

Thank you for your interest.

-Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Albers Vista Gardens

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor