Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluespruce53

Foxhollow favorites!

bluespruce53
13 years ago

Will use this thread to post some of my personal favorites from time to time, hopefully i can keep this post going for a while...

Picea sitchensis 'Strypemonde'

Pinus uncinata 'Jezek'

Pinus mugo 'Starkl'

Picea mariana 'Ericoides'

Pinus mugo 'Picobello'

Comments (56)

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cheers Dan, probably the best of the engelmann spruces for slow growth and very tight indeed, another Jorg Kohout broom.

Picea abies 'Hate'

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

I don't hate the last one, I like it ;0)

• maryn2009
    13 years ago

Picea abies 'R.E.L. Broom' is awesome!

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Very nice, very nice. Stephen/? are there more than one Teddy? I know you've said you have 'the real Teddy'. If and what how could of a mix-up occurred?

Dax

• sluice
    13 years ago

Teddy - fantastic!

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There's only one Teddy! Dax...I think someone posted a pic back along of a plant that might have been a bit open and not too well rounded.

Cryptomeria japonica 'Tenzan'

Thuja plicata 'Whipcord'

Pinus contorta 'Golden Striker'

• gardener365
    13 years ago

I think the nurseries here in the US also shear these plants prior to selling them as often a taller than broad plant is the standard for a containerized-'Teddy'... more of an upright egg-shape.

Well, thank you very much. I can cross that off my list now.

Dax

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

I've had mixed success with 'Teddy'. Despite our sometimes snowy/rainy winters here in the Pacific Northwest, two specimens I have look like your teddy with 'looser' foliage, I have one that is on the way towards looking more like your perfect specimen. It's beginning to grow more sideways and flatten out and shows very little openings. One can hope, because yours is a thousand dollar beaut!

Keep the photos coming Stephen, I enjoy them very much.

-Will

• cryptomeria
    13 years ago

This is a very nice and healthy ' Tenzan', Stephen,

Here I have some problems with the winter hardiness of ' Tenzan '. Many others no problem, but ' Tenzan ' seems to be weak.

Thanks for the pic. If you have some other Dwarf Cryptos or Metas or Sequoiadendron and thereôs a possibility to show us ,I would like to see them.

Wolfgang

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pinus nigra 'Keightley Broom' ...photo taken in July!

Pinus flexilis 'Red Elk'

A young graft of Pinus contorta 'Chief Joseph' in container.

Pinus mugo 'Tuffet'

• kmanzfive laknee
    13 years ago

"Foxhollow favorites"....no, no, Kmanzfive favorites! 'Red Elk', 'Gold Striker','Talbot Lake' and 'Hate' are just great !

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pinus pseudopumilio 'Ryzovna'

Pinus contorta 'Chief Joseph' ...on a stem and will be used as a stock plant in time.

Pinus flexilis '2 Mile High'

• severnside
    13 years ago

Great pics, more please!

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Picea pungens 'Kinosha'

Juniperus communis 'Swanborough Gold'

• tunilla
    13 years ago

Nice plants,Blue! I recently acquired a Pinus mugo 'Tuffet'.Looks like a real compact Mugo. I'll have to haul in some more rock,so I can squeeze it in and make it look it's best.
    Keep on spoiling us,chief,so we have some ideas for X-mas! T.

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Beautiful plants, beautiful setting and great pictures. You've got that knack for sure.

-Will

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Abies pinsapo 'Blau Bar'

{{gwi:664124}}
    Pinus mugo 'Golden Glow'

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

That 'Blau Bar' looks like a

. Very nice.

tj

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Stephen, can you give us some background info of the Abies pinsapo 'Blau Bar'?
    Thanks!

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Edwin, It's from a witches' broom found in southern Spain by Jorg Kohout and Franz Etzelstorfer a few years ago.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Thoroughly enjoying the spread.

Thanks Stephen,

Dax

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Thanks Stephen for the info about the 'Blau Bar'.
    It's not a compact one and will overgrow the miniatures in the back soon!
    In my opinion it looks like a 'Horstmann' which also will make a leader soner or later...

• ghgwv
    13 years ago

I always enjoy the trips through Foxhollow.
    Gary

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know Edwin! ;)

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Abies fraseri 'Yager WB'

Abies nordmanniana 'Midwinter Gold' ...received original material from Edwin, would be good to see a larger plant, as I know nothing about this cultivar.

Pinus parviflora 'Fushiro' ...turns almost white in the winter.
    Correction for a previous name! ...Picea pungens 'Kenosha', not Kinosha

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Also to the top. Conifers in the best possible condition and selections from a tremendous collector.

Consider yourself enabled!

-Will

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Haha, cheers Will, should be posting a couple more later..

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Some general stuff from here on...

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Mt. Hood'

Abies concolor 'Eagle Point'

This bed has been cleared,and slightly enlarged, except for a Pinus nigra 'Black Prince' and Juniperus squamata 'Blue Star'

Picea abies 'Ce Jay's Gem'

• bluegix
    13 years ago

Hi Stephen, not sure if you would recognise my user name but im the one who contacted you over email not to long ago, enquiring about some grafts (picea abies wichtel, among others lol).
    I'd just like to say from looking on your webpage and seeing all these pictures on this thread, you have a beautiful garden and many beautiful cultivars i'd like to get my hands on hehe.
    How do you decide on which cultivars to propagate. The reason i ask is that i saw your plant list and noticed how many cultivars you have. Also if someone was to ask you nicely :) lol, would you ever consider grafting specific plants, for a price of course. I hope im not speaking out of place here. Im just interested to know mainly because of how hard it is to find some of the plants in Britain.

Also how long have you been developing your garden and if im ever down that way i'd love to see it. Thx

Christian

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

All very nice stuff, Stephen. I can't help but wonder, with all the unique things that undoubtedly were removed from that bed, that must be one special Juniperus squamata 'Blue Star' to keep it. :o)

tj

• arceesmith
    13 years ago

Ahhh... such a beautiful collection! Thanks for this recent blast of pics. :^)

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Christian, up to now, most of what has been previously propagated has been dictated by the amount of material recieved from other collectors. This year will be the first time I've concentrated on propagating from plants already in the collection, and also especially from those I can add a decent photo of to the website this time. All still very much a work in progress at the moment. Not really practical for me or cost effective to undertake custom grafting, as I'm very limited with propagating space as it is.
    Have been developing this particular garden for the last thirteen years, although it's already undergone some major changes within the last couple of years and will probably continue to do so.
    Jaro, My 'Blue Star' is nothing special as a particular specimen, it's just happens to be one of my favorite conifers and always has been ever since I got interested way back! wouldn't be without one now.

• bluegix
    13 years ago

Hi Stephen, thx for the reply. Makes more sence now you have explained especially with limited space.
    Its great that you are going to start propagating from your own plants so i will keep an eye on your list with interest.
    As you know from my emails there are certain plants i would like to obtain so hopefully in the future you might have them on your list.
    Anyway good job with the garden and plants m8, also if you want, post some pictues of the finished plant bed, would be nice to see how it comes out and what conifers you will be putting in there.
    Christian

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Christian, our availability list is likely to change on a regular basis, plus there are always countless one offs kicking around the place that might never actually get listed, so could be a good idea to check back from time to time
    Got a few things sorted for the new bed, but not completely sure whats what at the moment, just out of interest will list the ones ready to go a bit later.

• bluegix
    13 years ago

Ok Stephen i will keep a look out on your list. Also you have my email and if you ever have any of the smaller, slower growing cedrus for sale, feel free to let me know. I also like my miniature very slow growing conifers, mainly due to lack of space, thats why i enquired about the picea abies wichtel.Anyway Stephen thx for the replies.

Christian

• dansgrdn
    13 years ago

Stephen, I really like the shape of that bed. I'm sure it won't be long before your artistry with conifers will be expressed on this wonderful blank canvas. Looking forward to seeing the completion of your newest masterpiece.

Dan

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Same here. Have you ever been recognized for your garden?

Dax

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Stephen, don't you think that the Pinus parviflora 'Fushiro' is the same one as Pinus parviflora 'Ogon' ('Ogon-goyo' in the past)?
    These are looking the same to me...

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dax, the garden is full of conifers, highly unlikely to ever get any sort of recognition with a garden full of conifers here in the UK ...
    Edwin, I'm not familiar with 'Ogon' (Ogon-goyo') but the Welch & Haddow checklist describes it as Golden-yellow needles, nothing about any colour change ..'Fushiro', needles are almost white in the winter, and light to mid green in summer.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Stephen, the discription of the 'Ogon' by Welch & Haddow Checklist is wrong about it's needle colour which is certainly not a golden-yellow, it's just the same as the 'Fushiro'.
    Please take a look at the photo at the link and then you see that these are similar...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinus parviflora 'Ogon'

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Edwin , I would agree that plant is identical to Fushiro. Are there any other written descriptions for 'Ogon' to check against ?

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Pretty lame Stephen that a garden full of those boring conifers can't get any recognition. It hardly takes a master gardener to throw together some perennials, trees, cobblestone and trees and call it perfect.

Your non-traditional garden is perfect.

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, just out of interest, here is a list of some of the plants that will go into the new bed.

Abies alba 'Chmel'
    Abies concolor 'Lower Shaded'
    Abies fraseri 'Vasti'
    Abies lasiocarpa 'Day Creek' (transplanted!)
    Picea abies 'Cruenta'
    Picea abies 'Weeping Blue'
    Picea glauca 'Lil Scotty'
    Platycladus orientalis 'Marjolein'
    Pinus ponderosa 'Buckingham Park'
    Pinus aristata 'Lemon Frost'
    Pinus mugo 'Denny's DW'
    Pinus x pseudopumilio 'Iluze'
    Pinus sylvestris 'Heartland Memory'
    Pinus sylvestris 'Vargguld'
    Pinus radiata 'Ferndown WB'
    Pinus strobus 'Door'
    Pinus strobus 'Minto'
    Pinus strobus 'Puffer Ball'
    Pinus strobus 'Niagra Falls'
    Ilex aquilifolium 'Myrtifolia'

• bluegix
    13 years ago

Hi Stephen. That certianly sounds like and interesting list. I will have to look some of them up to find out what they look like. As said previously, would love to see some finished pictures if you get the chance to snap a few.

Christian

• sluice
    13 years ago

Nice list!

• jramsey840_comcast_net
    13 years ago

Do you have any growth characteristics for pinus strobus minto? Many thanks.

• bluespruce53
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know it's a tight slow grower, better than most, tried to look for a pic in my files, but can't find one at the mo. If i come across it, I will post it. My plant is only a 1-2 year graft, so nothing really to see right now.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

'Minto'...sounds Canadian, is it from the Minto Lake area?

• ghgwv
    13 years ago

A Remarkable place. Thanks.
    Gary

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Sure is. I'm going to write to the Royal Family.

Dax

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!