Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayalee_gw

Apache pine (pinus engelmannii)

mayalee
14 years ago

Hi, does anyone knows of a good source for the Apache pine

please ? I have done several searches online to no avail.

Many thanks

Maya

Comments (44)

• gamekeeper
    14 years ago

After making calls to several nurseries that carry extensive inventory non have this.So I would go on line and put in Conifer Society and contact some of the folks there they will know if they can be had.
    Peter

• pineresin
    14 years ago

Probably means a collecting trip to Arizona!

Not sure if it would cope with VA humidity well though. I suspect you'd have problems with fungal diseases, notably needlecast.

Resin

• gardener365
    14 years ago

There's
    Pinus x schwerinii
    Pinus wallichiana
    Dax

• salicaceae
    14 years ago

I think I can help you. I have a few seedlings and could send one.

Definitely should be planted in a dry, sunny site. I have not
    seen foliar diseases on it here yet - mine are from Mexico source.

• mayalee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Many thanks for all your answers.
    Gamekeeper you have a good idea and will try to find a conifer society online.

Pineresin, a trip to Arizona to collect would be nice but
    I have never seen the tree itself so it would be hard for me to know where to look.
    I am not in VA anymore but south of SC at this time.

Gardener365 how are the ones you suggested different from
    engelmannii or are they hybrids ? Pardon me, I have NO knowledge in pine trees :)

Salicaceae, you have a very kind offer and I thank you.
    Could you please give me your source ? I would very much appreciate it. Pls email me at uneclassyladyatyahoodotcom.

• pineresin
    14 years ago

"I have never seen the tree itself so it would be hard for me to know where to look"

Try the Chiricahua Mountains. There's some around the entrance to Chiricahua National Monument. Another site (with location details) at the link below.

"Gardener365 how are the ones you suggested different from engelmannii"

Very different! In some ways more attractive, with denser, slenderer, 'silky' foliage, but the needles are only about half the length of Apache Pine needles at best.

Resin

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:846297}}

• mayalee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Next time I go to AZ and NM I will visit the Chiracahua mountains. I love these states anyway. I agree that the others suggested look very nice specially the Wallichiana.
    But for now, I have a fixation on P. engelmannii :)
    Pineresin thank you for the links and have a great day.

• clement_2006
    14 years ago

My plant here in Belgium.
    I'm very interested by some seeds,if someone have a source ?
    Clément

• gamekeeper
    14 years ago

Looked up the society ,it is American Conifer Society with a great website .

• mayalee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will look at the Society Gamekeeper, thank you.
    I am surprised by the color of the needles, is it really that blue ? Kind of pretty, I like trees with a blue hue.

• mayalee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Actually, I just tried the American Conifer Society Gamekeeper and I can't access... it says
    ""The web address you entered is not available"
    I went to...
    http://www.conifersociety.org/
    Do I have the right link ?
    Many thanks and have a great day.

PS. does anyone has a list of the best suppliers in pine trees... I mean nurseries that would carry a wide variety ?

• pineresin
    14 years ago

"I am surprised by the color of the needles, is it really that blue ?"

No, I think Clément's photo is too strongly blue-toned, the ones I have seen (both in the wild, and cultivated in Britain) are green to a slightly yellowish grey-green.

Resin

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:846300}}

• borubar
    13 years ago

I also have done several searches on the internet with no luck. Is there really no source ?

• cryptomeria
    13 years ago

I tried it last year. No source .

Wolfgang

• oakiris
    13 years ago

"Actually, I just tried the American Conifer Society Gamekeeper and I can't access... it says
    "The web address you entered is not available" I went to...
    http://www.conifersociety.org/";

Strange - mayalee, that address you used is the correct web site address. Maybe their server was down when you tried to go there?? Here is a link to the home page; hope that helps.

Holly

Here is a link that might be useful: American Conifer Society

• mayalee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Holly,
    Indeed the link you sent did work this time !
    Thanks a lot !
    Still looking for fresh seeds (or somewhat fresh)
    if anyone has some.
    Do you know Holly if they welcome non-members to their meetings ? I see that there will be a meeting in GA I could attend this year. I live near Beaufort SC but would like now and then to include some pines in my landscape.
    Many thanks !

Maya

• conifer50
    12 years ago

Gifted from a forum member a few years back, this 3 gallon Pinus engelmannii was planted today near a grouping of Longleaf Pine/Pinus palustris.

Johnny

• clement_2006
    12 years ago

What are your source ? I'm always interested by young plant or seeds.
    Clement

• sluice
    12 years ago

Johnny, that's a great looking plant. Is it a cultivar?

• conifer50
    12 years ago

Clement: I'm also looking for a seed source...My plant was from a Mexican provenance unknown to me. Southeast Arizona would be the easiest and safest area to presently collect seed. I'm not familiar with any forum members from that area who could collect seed for the 'needy'

Sluice: My plant is just a typical specimen..I doubt there are selected cultivars of this seldom encountered Pinus sp.

Johnny

• lostpinejim
    12 years ago

This is my Apache pine growing on the western slope of the Great Craggy Mountains, about 5 miles northeast of Asheville, North Carolina. It's approximately twenty years old, I purchased it from Forest Farm as a seedling and grew it in a container for several years before transplanting it to it's present spot. It's done well considering our hot and humid summers but did lose some limbs from a heavy snow two years ago.

• blue_yew
    12 years ago

My pinus engelmannii

• sluice
    12 years ago

Nice!

LostPineJim, what are the other conifers are shown in your pic?

Johnny, thanks for your answer. I'm wondering if your plant is showing a normal growth rate?

• conifer50
    12 years ago

LostPineJim: That's a nice specimen no doubt...and I bet it's the only one in your area!...

sluice: I think my plant is in the "so called grass stage" but appears ready to begin shoot elongation.

Johnny

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

LostPineJim, that is a very beautiful pine. The needles are so long it makes for a very gorgeous tree.

Are the other trees some sort of parvifloras?

• lostpinejim
    12 years ago

sluice, conifer50 and ladylotus: Thanks, and the pines in the row to the left of the Apache pine are all Pinus koraiensis "Okken Selection". I purchased them from the late George Okken, owner of Okken Nurseries in Pompton Plains, NJ. George was a great guy and former Director of the American Conifer Society.

The Pinus koraiensis are slow growing with a narrow, compact form and really nice dark blue-green needles. Mine are healthy and handle heavy snows without much damage.

Jim

• clement_2006
    12 years ago

Jim, are you sure it's Pinus engelmannii ??
    How many cm (long) have the needles ?
    Clement

• lostpinejim
    12 years ago

Clement: I'm not "sure" about much of anything . . . . . except I love my dogs and I really like pines. That being said, I bought the Apache Pine from a reputable nursery in Oregon (Forest Farm). Everything I have purchased from them seems to be what it was advertised as.

I'm not a botanist and I don't get too worried about names and the finer points of the Genus Pinus. As you can see from the photos, the needles are over 12" long and are in bundles of 3 and 4, matching the description by Jesse Perry, Jr. in his book "The Pines of Mexico and Central America", I have the original hardback edition published in 1991. Maybe my tree is Pinus arizonica var. stormiae or one of the other long-needled Mexican Diploxylon pines, which may be important to botanists and seed retailers but not so much to me.

As an example, if you are familiar with Pinus juarezensis and Pinus quadrifolia, you probably know that there is disagreement among experts over whether Pinus quadrifolia is a valid species or a hybrid between Pinus juarezensis and Pinus monophylla. I have seen all three in their native habitat, and found each of them to be quite different and beautiful in their own ways. See my photo link.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Photos

• sluice
    12 years ago

LostPineJim, it's fascinating to me that P. monophylla grows in Los Angeles. Great pics!

Here's a Pinus engelmanni at the Denver Botanic Gardens (Dec. 2012).

• lostpinejim
    12 years ago

sluice, Thanks, Los Angeles County is a fascinating place. You can be in the heart of one of the biggest cities in the world, and get in your car and one hour later be up on the Crest Highway in the San Gabriel Mountains with Limber Pine, Sugar Pine and Lodgepole Pine . . . . . and no sign of civilization around you.

Thanks for the photo of the Apache Pine at the Denver Botanic Gardens, I have been to Denver but didn't have time to visit the Gardens . . . . . hopefully next time. There is so much to see in Colorado.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Those buds are so cool Jim. Your specimen has a wonderful blue tone. One of the more beautiful trees I've seen.

Dax

• clement_2006
    12 years ago

Yes, he look very to Pinus engelmannii! and thank you for a nice lot of photos.
    I never see so nice Pinus quadrifolia.
    Clement

• lostpinejim
    12 years ago

Dax and Clement: Thanks very much.

Jim

• conifer50
    10 years ago

Here's my seedling 15 months after my initial post....Looks like some vertical growth for this season.

Johnny

• conifer50
    10 years ago

...and a better view of the 'beginnings' of shoot elongation.

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Looks great Johnny.

Dax

• mesterhazypinetum
    10 years ago

Johnny,
    I have been fallin in love with Southwestern and mexican pines (possibly from over 2000 meters), since the continental Europe is steadily drying. I started with ponderosa scopulorums of seeds, which are over 25 years old. We need no more Chamaecyparis from England, we need pines from worse conditions as 500 mm rain and air droughts. Pinus montezumae, culminicola, pungens, ponderosa or engelmannii. They seem to be not only survivors at us, but their genetic value has great possibilities as unique garden soliters, or even for forestry use too. Thanks for showing the pictures.

Zsolt

• sluice
    10 years ago

Nice!

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

LostPineJim, your Apache pine is stunning. It has the typical glaucous (blue-green) look of a dry-climate pine. No needlecast either.

Looks like a graft at the bottom...

• mayalee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

very nice, may be it will start branching out.

• conifer50
    10 years ago

Here's today's update

Johnny

• mayalee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Doing very well Johnny ! congratulations :)

• conifer50
    9 years ago

Annual update: Lots of change since last post. Maybe Lostpinejim will post new photo of his beautiful specimen.

Johnny

• lostpinejim
    9 years ago

Recent pictures of my Apache Pine . . . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: My Flickr Photostream