Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Rare Pinus species/cultivar Gallery 2010

I did similar posts for Abies and Picea. Basically this thread is a welcome place for any pine species that is fairly uncommon(Pinus Jefferi for example). Feel free to post any unusual species *or* cultivar photos you'd like to share.

I'll get it started with a trio of plants from my garden.

Pinus jeffreyi 'Lemon Mist'. Light green in Spring and Summer this large needled, fast growing open pine shows yellow-orange hues in Winter. I believe it strengthens in color with cooler temperatures. This plant was among the first five plants I bought from Bob Fincham and I grow it proudly.

Pinus monticola 'Nana'. Bought as a parviflora, eventually the fine folks here at the forum have identified this great pine. It looks to be about 12 years old and very fluffy with great silvery-blue hues.

Pinus albicaulis '#1 Dwarf'. Not much info, any help would be appreciated.

-Will

Comments (30)

• jaro_in_montreal
    13 years ago

Martínez piñon

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Bob, can you tell us if the Pinus jeffreyi 'Lemon Mist' is the same one as 'Gold' which your friend Larry does have on his assortments list?
    Did you gave the name 'Lemon Mist' to this plant?
    Thanks for your answers.

• longaeva54
    13 years ago

Pinus albicaulis N.3

Abies sibirica Ardo

Abies sibirica Lukasz

• severnside
    13 years ago

I just came across Pinus mugo 'Wolf' on Google.

Anyone own this beast?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinus mugo 'Wolf'

• clement_2006
    13 years ago

Pinus monticola "Raraflora"

Pinus ayacahuite "Maya"

Pinus attenuata "Ralf"

Abies sibirica "Lipovski Hradec"

Clément

• longaeva54
    13 years ago

Picea obovata Rotet

• gardenofeden777
    13 years ago

Hi, this is the 1st time that I have posted here. I found this morning on the side of the road a pine tree 3/4 in diameter around the trunk and 10 inches tall very heavily branched. I just started collecting dwarf and mini. conifers. I have 22 so far. There were at least 10 more in the general vicinity very similar to it. If I should discuss this on another thread please tell me. The last thing I would want to do is annoy the teachers here:/ . Rena'

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

I thought that this was a rare Pinus species topic but I also see some Abies sibirica and Picea obovata cultivars passing by, which are interseting conifers for me at the moment because these are very new to my collection...
    Longaeva can you send me a private email were I can become a Picea obovata 'Rotet'.
    Thanks in advance!

• yaslan
    13 years ago

I was at Portland Nursery and saw this Pinus Contorta âÂÂChief Josephâ on sale for $749.99. That's way out of my price range! Though, I did pick up a smaller grafted Chief Joseph and was pretty happy (considering IâÂÂve been searching for almost a year nowâ¦lol).

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Pinus koraiensis Inner Piece - found at Rich's Foxwillow Pines Nursery; Woodstock, IL. Being propagated at Whistling Gardens Nursery, Canada.

Ortet Broom Pinus koraiensis Inner Piece
    {{gwi:655471}}

Ortet Broom Pinus koraiensis Inner Piece
    {{gwi:655469}}

Ortet Broom Photo of Pinus koraiensis Inner Piece
    {{gwi:655473}}

2010 graft of Pinus koraiensis Inner Piece - sorry folks, no scions available!

Dax

• severnside
    13 years ago

Wow, that Chief Joseph. Eyewatering price, but lovely. You'd have to run out every single morning just to check it had lived through the night.

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

To me, that price is pretty close to madness. While rare conifers are wonderful landscape pieces, to pay 15X's for a 15-year old plant(15x50), as that plant roughly appears to be, is something you'd only consider if your house was growing at a rate of 20% a year, not in a recession. I'd say unless you're rich, those nice small 1-2 year grafts are a much more reasonable purchase.

• bobfincham
    13 years ago

Coniferjoy,

The 'Lemon Mist' was originally just called Gold as a description. I had shared it with Larry many years ago. I had to put a name on it because I started to sell it. 'Lemon Mist' seemed like a good descriptive name.

Bob

• longaeva54
    13 years ago

Coniferjoy, my plant came from Szewczyk nursery, you can view a photo of an older plant at A visit to Szewczyk nursery.

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Bob and Longaeva 54, thanks for your info.

Dax, 'Inner Piece' must be written as 'Inner Peace'...

• longaeva54
    13 years ago

Pinus tabuliformis Jiuzhaigou Valley

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    13 years ago

Thought I had a picture of this somewhere. Nipped by rabbits last winter but recovered ok by early summer when this pic was taken.

Pinus peuce 'Mrs Cesarini'

tj

• eric_9b
    13 years ago

Here are some we are growing at Leu Gardens in Orlando,FL, zone 9b/10a;

Pinus elliottii var. densa

Pinus caribaea var. hondurensis

Pinus roxburghii

Pinus taiwanensis

• eric_9b
    13 years ago

and now some Mexican species;

Pinus oocarpa

Pinus patula

Pinus pseudostrobus

• eric_9b
    13 years ago

and some young specimens of Mexican pinus that were recently planted;

Pinus ayacahuite var. veitchii

Pinus estevezii

Pinus lawsonii

• eric_9b
    13 years ago

Pinus lumholtzii

Pinus maximinoi

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Cool Pines Eric.

Edwin I am correct, it is 'Inner Piece' because it was found as a hidden broom... on the interior of another koraiensis (growing off/from of the main trunk)... if that makes any sense... for example the branches surrounding the broom needed removing in order to get into the broom

You must keep your records straight, and make sure to correct any folks in the future regarding the correct name of this wb. In this sense, piece = chunk and/or "piece" of broom-material.

Thank you, best regards,

Dax

• blue_yew
    13 years ago

I have pinus eztevezii nice tree

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Hi Edwin, I can confirm that Pinus koraiensis 'Inner Piece' was found growing on a Pinus koraiensis 'Glauca' at Rich's Foxwillow Pines Nursery.

For Google:

Pinus koraiensis Inner Piece ortet broom on ortet tree: Pinus koraiensis Glauca (Rich's Foxwillow Pines Nursery, USA)
    {{gwi:655469}}

Dax

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Thanks Dax!
    Pinus koraiensis 'Glauca' is the illegitimate name for what is now 'Silveray'...

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Edwin, check here again in the next days to week(s) because yesterday I received info from Darren that is different from a separate email communication from Rich & Susan Eyre who are now in Bolivia -

Dax

• gardenofeden777
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful pics. great for reference since I just read they will do well here in LA.

Rena'

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Dax, how about this...?

• coniferjoy
    13 years ago

Dax, I'm still waiting for your opinion about this tag which is hanging on the original Pinus koraiensis 'Silveray' witches'broom at Rich's Foxwillow Pines Nursery.
    This tag says 'Inner Peace' and not 'Inner Piece', the 2 words sounds the same...

• gardener365
    13 years ago

I just got off the phone with Rich Eyre.

It is: Pinus koraiensis Inner Piece found on 'Glauca'.

Rich also says this:

Pinus koraiensis 'Glauca' is correct (Welch and Haddow) and that in the USA - 'Glauca' was renamed to 'Silveray' and even 'Stanleyray'. He believes 'Silveray' and 'Stanleyray' to be violations of the Nomenclature Code of 'The Royal Horticultural Society'.

Dax