Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eric_9b

Araucaria hunsteinii- Klinki-Pine

eric_9b
15 years ago

Here is a conifer you don't see often, Araucaria hunsteinii, Klinki-Pine from Papau New Guinea. In habitat it can grow 150-295 ft tall. Its the tallest tree in PNG and the tallest Araucaria. Ours was planted in June 2000, about 2ft tall. It sabout 25ft now, it blew over in Hurricane Charley in Aug. 2004 but it was stood back up.

Eric

Orlando,FL

Comments (10)

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Recorded up to 89m tall in the wild (de Laubenfels, Flora Malesiana 10: 424, 1988), though this figure is not verified.

BTW, not a pine. Just Klinki.

Resin

• goted
    15 years ago

Hi Eric,

Do you just have the one tree? No chance of getting seed one day?

Just curious. Thanks.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Looks as though related to bunya-bunya. After it blew over, what did the roots look like? Maybe it wasn't just the high wind velocity.

• salicaceae
    15 years ago

Hi Eric,

Nice to see it is still doing well. I have some seedlings here in Gainesville and will grow them in pots for a few more years...

Resin - Klinki pine is also commonly used to describe this species, especially in Australia (hence the use of 'pine' for an Araucaria, Hoop pine is another example).

bboy - It is very like A. bidwillii, but the leaves are typically noticeably larger and the cones are much smaller and very different than Bunya-bunya.

• goted
    15 years ago

Hi Salicaceae,

Do you know a source of seed? I'm a big fan of Araucaria species.

Thanks!

• eric_9b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Salicaceae, is that you Jason?

Yes, we just have the one tree. Purchased it around 2000 from Gondwanaland and it was expensive, wish I had got another before they closed.

It does resemble A, bidwillii and the leaflets are very sharp.

I didn't mean it to be a true pine, hence the hypen.

Eric
    Orlando,FL

• amccour
    15 years ago

I like these. Sort of like A. Bidwillii but the shape seems just a little different and a lot more interesting for some reason. Can these be grown indoors like A. Bidwillii? I heard they're one of the fastest growing araucarias, so I assume that would be a restricting factor.

• goodstav
    13 years ago

Resurrection of an old post..
    It was dark and rainy, but since I had my camera with me, couldn't resist taking some shots of this beautiful Araucaria. I'm not sure but I think it's also a A. hunsteinii.
    I'll try to get a decent daylight picture of the entire tree one day.
    {{gwi:671373}}From garden

{{gwi:671374}}From garden

{{gwi:671375}}From garden

• pitaya36_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Jim McAdam (Director of Forests in PNG) measured a tree at 306 feet prior to WW II. I was involved in measuring logs in 1958 and we got one tree that was 292 feet to a broken top (caused during the felling) and the top diameter was about 8 inches. Had we found the top (suspect it was caught up in the canopy) it would have exceeded 300 feet and probably beaten the 306 feet. Jim McAdam had offered a case of Black label whiskey to anyone who found a tree over 300 feet high. We dipped out.

• User
    8 years ago

Hi Guys!

Just came across your post during a web search.

I thought you might be interested in freshly collected Araucaria hunsteinii seeds. https://www.trebrown.com/

http://www.trebrown.com/plant_info.php?species=Araucaria+hunsteinii

Phil

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer