Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tunilla

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Minima' ?

tunilla
15 years ago

Hi all.I got this plant last year with the above name.Having read-up and having seen pictures of'Minima',I'm beginning to doubt.It is a grafted plant however,so I was wondering wether this may deform true miniatures to the point where they look like something else.Thanks for your ideas. T.

PS:Plant is now about 1ft high and,yes,it cost me 6.5 Euros.

Comments (18)

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Yes: Far too much of a tree for that one. Looks like, given enough time this one could become quite large.

Vigorous seedling rootstocks can and certainly do make other cultivars grow quite out of character.

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

...or mis-labeled.

I don't have this one, but it is described as:

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Minima'
    Dating to 1932 itÂs one of the slowest growing forms, it can be expected to form a 10cm ball after twenty years

It has large sprays of foliage too. (I look at it and see...cuttings!)

Looks great; is it out in the full sun?

Barbara

• tunilla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi,thanks for your responses.Yes,more of a shrub/tree type than a 4" ball.The guy I bought it from sells all sorts of dwarfish plants for rockeries,but his conifer-knowledge is about as good (or as bad) as mine.Nice plant though.Got some more Hinokis recently amongst wich 'Kosteri' and a Japanese cv. of wich the name doesn't come to mind (it's not twisted enough right now).Also one wich is labeled'Seedling'.Another mystery plant.I left a 'Rigid Dwarf' alone and do regret it now.I'll try to send a pic. of the Jap cv. tomorrow-it's got nice colours.T.

• tunilla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi obtusa-lovers.As promised,here's a couple of pics of the above mentioned obtusas.I translate what's written on the Dutch labels.

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Kamarachiba'.
    Origin:Japan.Low-growing form with elegant,pendulous branches,max.height 1 m (3' 4").Gold-yellow foliage,turning bronze in winter.Drought-resistant.

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Seedling'
    A very nice tall growing selection,dark green.Unnamed as yet.

Suggestions for other remarkable obtusas are more than welcome. T.

• clement_2006
    15 years ago

The first photo introduced this comments, are a photo of Lawsoniana ! not obtusa.
    Maybe Chamaecyparis lawsoniana "Minima" (very probable for me).
    I have 1 very similar.
    Clément.

• dcsteg
    15 years ago

I think Clément is on to something...

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Minima'

A very dwarf variety of Port Oxford Cedar. A squatty tear shaped plant. Leaves are adult foliage and light gray-green. Plant at a mature size would only be 2 ft.. Grows about inch and a half a year. Good for troughs, containers and railroad gardens.

Dave

• tunilla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Clement and Dave.Thanks for your help.Could it be 'Minima Aurea' or 'Aurea Densa'? In Van Gelderen's encyclopedia, 'Minima' looks a darker green. T.

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

Nice Chamaecyparis T. Though I love the yellows, your seedling has exceptionally nice foliage. Looks a lot like my 'Dainty Doll'

Barbara

• tunilla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi. Any chance of a picture of your 'Dainty Doll'? Thanks T.

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

Well, it was a rough summer on my C.o. in containers.

Check out Page 168 of your new book to see the gorgeous dainty foliage...on a plant who's final size is said not to be dainty at all!

Barbara

• tunilla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks B.I think I will call it 'Daunting Doll'for the time being, and make sure it will have enough space to develop! T.

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

Certainly not 'Minima Aurea' or 'Aurea Densa'

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

Hmmm...moving potted plants today and realized your top photo resembles my C.o. 'Meroke'. If the sun comes out tomorrow I'll get a picture of it.

Barbara

• clement_2006
    15 years ago

Barbara,
    If you spoke about the first photo, I remember it's a cultivar of Chamaecyparis lawsoniana, Meroke is well a cultivar of Chamaecyparis obtusa.
    According with Bluespruce certainly not Aurea or Aurea Densa.
    Maybe Chamaecyparis lawsoniana minima or minima glauca. Pygmy exist also.
    Clément

• bluespruce53
    15 years ago

Not 'Pygmy' too coarse, Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Pygmy' not that easy to get hold of from nurseries.

'Pygmy' - probably the slowest growing for this type of lawson.
    {{gwi:849184}}

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

oops...missed that part of the thread. Went back and looked at my C.o.Meroke, and it's not nearly as upright anyway. Thanks for setting me straight!

Barbara

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

The sun was out so I snapped a photo. Here is Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Meroke' foliage:

Barbara

• tunilla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi. Thanks for all the input and the pictures.Some of the fun with plants of course,is playing Sherlock Holmes and trying to find out exactly what you've got,but I'm afraid it will take some time before I could sort out a mixed batch of C.lawsoniana and C.obtusa cultivars.The differences are sometimes very subtle,especially under very different growing conditions.That's what makes these forums so valuable for a novice like me,and,if you don't mind,I'll post another one or two 'doubtful' cases very soon (just waiting for the weather to clear,so I can take some decent pics!)T.