Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrgpag

Thuja occidentalis 'Yellow Holmstrup'

mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
17 years ago

or sometimes known as Thuja occidentalis 'Holmstrup's Yellow'.

Is anyone growing this plant or laid eyes on a real one? I'm interested is it's winter color more than anything else. Does it retain the bright yellow color or become dull in cold weather as do some of the other yellow thuja.

Not a very popular plant based on it's availability. I know where I can get a flat of 32 rooted cuttings for around $55, but I'm only interested in one and one a bit larger as well. There are a couple east coast mail order businesses that do list it though.

Comments (22)

• conifers
    17 years ago

I'm propagating (10) cuttings of it right now. Don't know "jack" about its winter color.

Dax

From the other day at Bickelhaupt (October) and color was not bright at all:

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the picture. That's bright enough if it holds through the winter. Did you wake up to snow this morning?

• conifers
    17 years ago

6-8 inches.

Just had a little breakfast and had my first Chevy small pickup experience.

Dax

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Books tend to call it 'Holmstrup Yellow'.

• heptacodium
    17 years ago

One of my favorite yellow foliaged arbs is George Peabody. For me, it has never bronzed out, as most such cultivars are prone to do permanently sometime before Christmas of the first winter.

I have seen some bronzing on it, usually when the temps dipped to the -50 F area, before windchill. Other than that, it has held color exceptionally well.

I've not experienced the golden version of Holmstrup in my yard, and based on how G.P. is doing, I'm not likely to try. I don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm, it's merely the subjective exerience I have aquired in the frozen tundra.

• deltaohioz5
    17 years ago

Thuja ÂYellow HolmstrupÂ, purchased as rooted cuttings in 2004 from a wholesaler in Minn. Pictures were taken today.

{{gwi:856076}}

{{gwi:856077}}

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

The George Peabody arborvitae is T. occidentalis 'Lutea'. An old (origin before 1870) cultivar dating back to when some cultivars were sold as botanical entities (lutea instead of 'Lutea', in this instance). As is often the case when a cultivar has been around a long time, more than one clone has been sold. Not all plants acquired as 'Lutea' will necessarily have matching characteristics.

"Over the years, nurseries have selected improved sports and kept selling them under the original name, or under slight variants (e.g., T. occidentalis lutea 'Bobbink & Atkins' and T. occidentalis lutea 'Mary Corey')"

--Jacobson, NORTH AMERICAN LANDSCAPE TREES (Ten Speed Press)

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the additional replies -

I've seen Lutea/George Peabody and it is a larger, wider plant than I'm wanting to grow, whereas the yellow version of Holmstrup would fit my space better. Looks like I'm about to order a flat of rooted cuttings.
    Thanks again folks

• bluespruce53
    17 years ago

Holmstrup's Yellow is correct not Yellow Holmstrup. for reference there is a picture in Adrian Blooms Gardening with Conifers, page 171 with Adrian pruning what must be a plant 20yrs+, looks to be around 15ftx10ft in size.
    Bluespruce.

• conifers
    17 years ago

I've got 'Holmstrup's Yellow' as being correct also. (Erhardt - List of Conifer Names, 2005); A.M. Jensen 1951.

Starterdude - Looks like with good care and some food, a plant can get going rather quickly (I'll bite and assume you're fertilizing them for future stock plants).

Am I right?

Dax

• deltaohioz5
    17 years ago

Dax,

I'll probably keep half for stock plants and grow the rest on for retail.

Frank

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Frank, I'd like to be your next customer when ever you decide to sell.

• conifers
    17 years ago

Marshall, I already got some guaranteed 1-gallon presents for you come spring.

(Did a double Stanley order the other day)

As usual, nice stuff Frank.

Dax

• treelover3
    17 years ago

Frank,
    Me, too. If you ever decide to sell by mail order, I'd love to purchase a 'Holmstrup's Yellow' from you.
    Thanks,
    Mike

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

So far it seems the most prevalent combination outside of commercial listings is 'Holmstrup Yellow'. However, in addition to reference cited in above post Welch & Haddow (World Checklist of Conifers) spell it 'Holmstrup's Yellow'. I do not know which is correct. The ideal way to check would be to track down the publication where the name was first presented in what is considered a 'valid' way (by the author of the name). Otherwise, a reference giving what is known to be the first validly published spelling would be adequate. One of both of those mentioned here using 'Holmstrup's Yellow' may have determined the original spelling.

• conifers
    17 years ago

Of course (naturally), Bickelhaupt Arboretum spells it:
    'Holmstrup Yellow'.

Dax

• erniew
    17 years ago

Hmm,

this looks like an interesting plant. Is it supposed to be a yellow sport of 'Holmstrup' or a completely different plant?

Thanks in advance,
    Ernie

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Yes. Krussmann, MANUAL OF CULTIVATED CONIFERS (Timber Press) says "Mutation of 'Holmstrup' with yellow foliage."

• bluespruce53
    17 years ago

If it is a mutation, it has an entirely different habbit than Holmstrup.
    Bluespruce.

• conifers
    17 years ago

Bickelhaupt's sign said (seedling origin).

Dax

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Habit variants pop out of arborvitaes as well. I have seen at least two on 'Fastigiata' myself. Maybe 'Holmstrup Yellow' is both a habit variant and a foliage color variant.

• conifers
    17 years ago

Hopefully it holds heavy snowloads well unlike 'Sunkist' which always seems to be this big, huge, wide "thing" in collections.

Then again, Adrian Bloom's plant I would expect to be a single leader - but maybe the guy doesn't think like I do.

Got a ton of 'Hetz Wintergreen' sown. I'm hoping I get some interesting stuff. Seed collected at Bickelhaupt.

Dax