Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Upright weepers

With the snow and freezing rain bending all the Douglas firs in my neighborhood down today, my mind wandered to all the 'upright weeping' trees, which confuse a lot of people but basically mean a tree that grows straight up on a central leader, yet the branches weep back down, giving the plant an 'arrow' effect. There are no doubt a lot of them, but some are either little known or rarely planted. I wanted to get opinions on what people thought or if had seen particular cultivars in person(or pics! hint hint!!).

I've started a novice list below, please feel free to correct my comments, add your own or add new cultivars to the list entirely.

Cham Nootkatensis `Green Arrow'. Very narrow, bright green upright weeper. Seems to grow fast according to everything I've read.

Cham Nootkatensis `Van den Aker'. Perhaps the narrowest weeper known. 15'x2' in 10 years?

Picea Abies 'Rotenhausii'. Images and web info seem to describe a very fast growing, green pillar, with horizontal branches but very short in length. 12'x4' in 10 years?

Picea Abies 'Jacobsen'. A golden form of Norway spruce, not so narrow, but pendulous branches. Normal growth rate?

Picea Glauca 'Pendula'. Very unique 'layered' look. Silver/blue needles and grows very straight up. Very narrow as well.

Picea Nord. 'Bushs Lace'. Silvery blue upright weeper. Seems similar to Glauca 'Pendula' in terms of growth rate, size and shape.

Picea Omorika 'Pendula'. Apparently pretty 'vanilla' when it comes to Serbian spruce. Bluish cast, perhaps not as narrow as some of the other named cultivars.

Picea Omorika 'Pendula Bruns'. Highly rated by many, and super narrow with hardly any horizontal branching at all. Seems to develop at an angle in older age. Is Growth rate same as the species?

Picea Omorika 'Bruns'. Need info but apparently not as narrow as Pendula Bruns.

Picea Omorika 'Berliner's Weeping'. Seems to have a more greenish look then other Omorika's. Don't have much information about it, other then a picture I saw, it looked very narrow.

Picea Omorika 'Gotelli's Weeping'. Seems pretty rare, I remember Coenosiums website saying one of the last large ones died in an arboretum.

Pseudotsuga menie(I struggle with the genus name), basically Douglas fir `Graceful Grace'. Upright irregular growth, branches weep straight down. Gets wide as well as tall. Green needles.

Douglas Fir 'Weep Willie'. Love the name don't know much about it other then it is supposed to be large both in heighth and width.

Comments (26)

• mckenna
    15 years ago

I only have 2 small ones, but Picea engelmannii 'Bush's Lace' looks like it will be an awesome tree.

Omorika 'Bruns' - looks to be really cool, not really much weeping besides being a narrower omorika with great color in the blue & green mix. I planted four 6-7 ft ones at work behind our public works building. Should be quite a site in time.

Bill

• firefightergardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A new species of Douglas fir has been sighted in my neighborhood this week:

Pseudotsuga Thatsalotasnowiana
    {{gwi:862480}}

That's also a new 'weeping pine' to the left on the driveway. lol

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

what driveway ... lol

ken

• plantmarker
    15 years ago

Link to a previous discussion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strict Weepers

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Menziesii is the species name. 'Graceful Grace' produces grayish leaves that point sideways producing a bottlebrush effect.

A weeping douglas-fir near Toledo, WA, at 376 State Highway 505 was measured as being 67' tall during 1995. Not far north of Seattle the NE 155th St skateboard park opposite 9th Ave NE has one 50' tall (within a grouping of 5).

• nikkie_in_toronto
    15 years ago

Of the ones mentioned above Picea Omorika "Pendula Bruns" is the superior plant, IMO. Older specimens are very attractive as they grow, often twisting and curving as they head upwards. Picea glauca pendula and Picea engelmannii "Bush's Lace" are very nice too with the later being bulkier. The Nootkas are nice- Green Arrow and Van den Akker. I've always felt Green Arrow (in particular) looks nice when plants in a grouping of 3. You may also want to consider Sequoiadendron Barrabits Requiem.

• pineresin
    15 years ago

Hard to beat Picea breweriana

But even some Picea abies in the wild are very good

{{gwi:344978}}

Resin

• dcsteg
    15 years ago

I guess this will be one of my personal favorties. Needs to be trained to be an upright. About 2 ft. tall when planted 10 years ago,

Dave

Picea pungens 'Pendula'

{{gwi:681918}}

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    15 years ago

"...Picea Omorika 'Bruns'. Need info but apparently not as narrow as Pendula Bruns..."

No, not as narrow. Grows, on average, about 10x4 in 10 yrs. Although I saw one this summer that was about 12-14 feet high and 4 feet wide. Too soon to tell on mine (5x2 at the moment)but mine put on about 18 inches of growth this year. Not too pendulous (the odd branch will hang down), but has that great omorika bi-color effect.

tj

• gardener365
    15 years ago

Abies alba 'Pendula'
    Abies balsamea 'Weeping Larry'
    Abies alba 'Green Spiral'

Abies veitchii 'Pendula'

Abies concolor 'Fagerhult'
    Abies concolor 'Pendula'

Araucaria araucana

Cedrus deodara
    Cedrus deodara 'Aura'
    Cedrus deodara 'Blue Snake'
    just about all Cedrus deodara

Cedrus libani 'Atlantica Glauca'
    Cedrus libani 'Pendula'

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Youngii'
    Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Crippsii'
    Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Confucious'

Chamaecyparis pisifera ' Squarrosa Aurea'
    Chamaecyparis nootkatenis (Cupressus noot.) 'Jubilee'

Cupressus cashmeriana

Juniperus recurva 'Castelwellan'

Juniperus rigida

Juniperus squamata 'Chinese Silver'

Juniperus virginiana 'Pendula'

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Glauca Pendula'
    Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Pendula'

Picea abies 'Weeping Blue' initially needs staking then up she goes.
    Picea abies 'Cincinnata'
    Picea abies 'Elegantissama'
    Picea abies 'Virgata'
    Picea abies 'Viminalis'
    Picea abies 'Pruhoniciana'
    Picea abies 'Aarburg

Picea orientalis 'Pendula'

Picea omorika 'Kuck's Weeping'

Picea wilsonii
    Picea smithiana

Larix decidua 'Pendula'
    Larix kaempferi 'Blue Rabbit'
    Larix kaempferi 'Diana'

Larix mastersiana

Pinus parviflora 'Gimborn's Ideal' sorta a weeper

Pinus strobus 'Pendula' stake when young then up and away

Pinus wallichiana

Sequoiadendron giganteun 'Requiem'

Tawania cryptomerioides

Taxus baccata 'Graciosa'
    Taxus baccata 'Dovanstonii Aurea'

Tsuga canadensis
    Tsuga canadensis 'Aurea'
    Tsuga canadensis 'Gable Weeping'
    Tsuga canadensis 'Ashfield Weeper'

Thuja occidentalis Marijssens's Sulphur'
    Thuja occidentalis 'Filiformis'
    Thuja plicata 'Threadleaf'

Platycladsus/Thuja orientalsis 'Filiformis Pendula'

Tsuga mertensiana 'Blue Star'

Dax

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

I've seen some pictures of Pinus strobus 'Angel Falls' (a toe curler).
    How does it compare to P.s. 'Pendula'?
    There was an older post with a removed picture from Dave; hoping he can show us a current picture and opinions.

Barbara

• botann
    15 years ago

I'm surprised you didn't mention Sequoiadendron giganteum, 'Pendulum'.
    In the middle of the picture...... taken today.
    {{gwi:862487}}

• nikkie_in_toronto
    15 years ago

Barbara- Oh the Angel Falls is a very nice Strobus. Its so much tighter then Pendula. I believe its an Iselis plant? I have one and its trained up and then weeps straight down. Pendula sometimes sprawls out a bit, but this one is very narrow. a 6 ft plant is about 18 inches across. You must get one! :)

Also Cupressus Raywoods Weeping is a nice weeper and hardier than given credit.

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

Thanks Nikkie..I'll be keepin an eye out for the P.s. 'Angel Falls'

Here are a of couple larger weepers.

This is my favorite of the favorites:

Cupressus macrocarpa 'Saligna Aurea'

Juniperus scopulorum 'Tolleson's Blue'
    {{gwi:652775}}

Barbara

• karinl
    15 years ago

I was just going to mention the Tolleson's, but was going to have to look up the full name. I've never seen one that big! I've always wondered how they turn out.

I have a 1-gal Berliner's Weeping as well as a 1-gal Bush's Lace... the Berliner's has a shaggier, messier look, both the foliage up close and, based on a photo or two I've seen, overall, and I think it gets pretty big. If it's that groomed look you're after, I don't think Berliner's is the best choice.

KarinL

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Although usually called 'Saligna Aurea' it's actually 'Conybearii Aurea'. It's an Australian introduction, dating from 1933 or earlier.

Similarly, the juniper has been on the market since at least 1945 as 'Tolleson Weeping' but is actually 'Tolleson's Blue Weeping'. One planted in Los Angeles during 1969 had reached 26' by 1993.

• barbaraincalif
    15 years ago

Thanks for the name clarifications bboy; I do want to be accurate when providing plant names!

Barbara

• gardener365
    15 years ago

You bet you do Barbara.... and you can trust bboy. He's a wealth of knowledge.

Dax

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliment!

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Another old topic.
    I thinks this is one of the best narrow upright forms:
    Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Filip's Golden Tears'.
    {{gwi:666005}}

• tunilla
    15 years ago

Hi CJ Do you live near a nuclear power station? T.

• coniferjoy
    15 years ago

Hi Tunilla,

There's no nuclear power station in my neighbourhood, but a lot of F16 airplanes flies over 3 times a day...

• plantlover90
    7 years ago

Heloo,

I am looking for Cupresus Macrocarpa Flagelliformis. could you be so kind to assist. ware can i buy it?

• plantkiller_il_5
    7 years ago

Please start your own post,,,bringing up an 8 yr old post is not a good way to get answers,,,but thanks for bringing this thread up ,,,it's cool

ron

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Ive got about 8-10 Picea Pungens 'Baby Blue'. One is different than the rest. I need to take a pic. It appears to be an upright weeper.

This is a horrible pic, but it is in the middle right, touching/behind the Picea Pungens Globosa on standard. Next time Ill snap a closer pic. I am pretty excited.

• plantkiller_il_5
    7 years ago

Pete , to bad it is in all that shade

ron