Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olypen

Pinus contorta 'Frisian Gold' growth rate

olypen
12 years ago

I have only been able to find a couple of sites that list the annual growth rate for this plant. One described it as semi-dwart, which I assume would mean from 1 to 2" annually. A German site lists it as having a ~3 to 4.7'" rate. For those that have it, what can I reasonably expect?

Thanks,

Bill

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

well hot spit.. a new member.. welcome ...

come back often..

at the link below.. is a general guide to conifers.. including an overview of annual growth rates ...

a dwarf is described as 1 to 6 inches per year..

who the heck knows what it means to put 'semi' in front of it ... you seem to think it means on the smaller side .. 1 to 2 .. but i tend to think its towards the larger side ...

i know its not much help.. but i just wanted to WELCOME you ...

at this link: http://www.coenosium.com/goldconfrs/goldconifers.htm

scroll down and find Frisian gold.. and though the pic is very small .. the final years growth is much in excess of your 1 to 2 inch suggestion.. and i would speculate closer to the 6 inch as described at the link below ... fincham pops in every now and then.. maybe he can give us a bigger pic .... it is his website ... [or give us a scale] ...

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• olypen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah, I was at a lose to figure out what a semi-dwarf is.

Thanks for the welcome. I've been pouring over this forum for months. You guys have significantly improved my knowledge base while negatively influencing my billfold :).

Bill

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

You guys have significantly improved my knowledge base while negatively influencing my billfold :).

===
    >>>> enablers.. drug pushers.. whatever.. everyone has to have a vice.. and it may as well be something as benign as collecting plants ...

i have been mulling this.. if 1 to 6 is dwarf.. then to me... something that is barely above 6 .. but not quite to INTERMEDIATE 12 .. would be semi-dwarf ... or mini intermediate.. lol ...

sooooo .... why this one .. is space limited.. can we offer alternatives?? ... and most of all.. can you post pics????

check out the link

ken

ps: i suppose as you were hoping ... 2 to 3 inches might be uber-mini.. lol ... just a little more than mini rate ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• olypen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ken this plant is part of my spring order with Coenosium along with the following:

Picea abies "Brno'
    Picea abies 'Formanek'
    Picea abies 'Pusch'
    Pinus mugo 'Carstens'
    Pinus strobus 'Mini Twists'

Besides enabling me, you guys have led me to be somewhat anal about plant names and data. With over 3 months to kill before these show up, I'm working on a database for each and beginning to design a plan for planting.

I was trying to get some experience from those that have the 'Frisian Gold' but I'll also try Bob F.

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    12 years ago

Hey Bill,

I have had a P.c. 'Frisian Gold' for a number of years and I can only describe it as "fussy." On some branches, it may growth a couple of inches a year then very little the next.

I bought it in 2004. It resides in a well drained spot with morning sun. Here is a recent picture of my plant:

at the rate it's growing, it's going to take my lifetime and half of the next guy's to outgrow this space.

~Dave

• olypen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dave, thanks for the picture. That was the size that I was expecting. My confusion was exacerbated by Bob F's pictures in the catalog which shows a couple of large examples, but apparently ones that are really old. It would seem that semi-dwarf does mean "barely into the dwarf category". As a Newbie, I sure wish companies would just use the ACS categories.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you approximately, Dave.

Bill

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    12 years ago

I live in Olympia, WA, Bill.

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

I have three specimens of this cultivar, all from Bob Fincham of course. Bought as probably the same stock grafts over the previous three years. First, full sun is best IMO, though perhaps in severe heat/sun it may burn a little bit? No experience with this so far in my mild zone, similar to Dave's. Next growth rate. I think my specimens have grown about 4-5" a year of the upper most branches and an inch or two less on the lower ones. To me it doesn't seem particular slow or fast, I'd suggest the plant might be 3'x2'(widextall) in 10 years. A medium dwarf would be my best description. One caveat, Bob Fincham has stated that he has seen unusual faster upright growth. Given that sometimes it does this, I would say that the growth rate on this plant isn't very stable. Mine seems to be growing faster then Dave's and some may grow slower/faster in different climates. Time will tell or perhaps one of the super-seasoned experts might chime in.

A final note, I find this plant to be superior to 'Chief Joseph'. Blasphemy to many I know, but it's incredibly bright in Summer and Fall and still a nice color the rest of the year. And it would be hard for it to be as fussy as the Chief.

-Will

• sluice
    12 years ago

This is a new graft, and so far has put on about 2-3 inches per year. Still haven't removed much of the sylvestris understock, sorry for the mess!
    Photo taken Sept. 20, 2011

• olypen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sluice and Will, thanks for the pictures and information.

Will, I actually ordered this as an alternative to the 'Chief.' Bob F. isn't offering it and when I tried to add one to a local nursery's Iseli order, none were available. It's interesting how your specimen and that of maple_grove in the 2011 Contorta gallery show a more upright habit than that of Dave's. I find unpredictable growth a positive attribute in some cases. It's why I'll have a P. banksiana 'Uncle Fogy' this spring.

Dave, I'm on the other side of the peninsula in Port Angeles.

Bill

• jerry_br
    12 years ago

Is my thinking correct that this is hardy to zone 7? Has anyone grown this longterm in zone 5, like posted above?

Thanks
    Jerry

• olypen
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jerry, all of the sites list it as a zone 5 specimen.

Bill

• picea
    12 years ago

I hate to be negative but for me it is nothing special here in Ohio. I am not that fond of the color in summer or winter and the growth habit is nothing special either. I feel the same way about Pinus Parv. Goldylocks. I have had both for years and almost shovel pruned "Frisian Gold". Then again I can't think of any nice all Yellow pines in this area.

David

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert