Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salicaceae

Pinus chiapensis

salicaceae
11 years ago

A rare white pine from Chiapas. I grew this from seed from B/T. It won't stop growing with continuous flushes. This is a problem in winter and it lost the top 25% last year, and re-grew that plus more this year. I think when it becomes more mature it will be less susceptible to freeze injury (I hope):

From December 2, 2012

Here is the leader in new growth right now:

From December 2, 2012

Comments (12)

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Hope it succeeds.

How anyone can still consider that a variety of P. strobus is beyond me.

Resin

• conifer50
    11 years ago

Here's one at Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square PA.
    There must at least one hardy clone!

Johnny

Pinus chiapensis
    Planted in 1960, 47' high 51' crown spread

• pineresin
    11 years ago

"Here's one at Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square PA.
    There must at least one hardy clone!

Johnny

Pinus chiapensis
    Planted in 1960, 47' high 51' crown spread"

I'd strongly suspect it is mislabelled. One at Kew labelled "P. chiapensis" has typical P. strobus cones, not P. chiapensis cones (which are quite distinct).

Can you get a close-up pic of the cones on this tree?

Resin

• conifer50
    11 years ago

Yep, it could be 'strobus' but one of that age would be much larger under typical conditions. I'll make a request for cones and/or pics.

Johnny

• salicaceae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Given how tender it is, I doubt it too. Mine is very tender and is growing great this year, but I hope we don't get any severe freezes soon!

• conifer50
    10 years ago

Well 2013 was a cone year at Longwood and I finally received a cone request!.....Resin, what's your opinion on the ID now?

Johnny

• salicaceae
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think its just strobus Johnny, but we'll see what Resin says. My chiapensis grows continuously through the year and even has tender new shoots on it now. It is getting huge quickly though and seems to be big enough to survive severe freezes (I hope).

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Other internet pictures appear to show a chunkier cone for P. chiapensis.

I'm having problems with links on this site not working, both ones provided by others and ones I'm attempting to provide. So, I will instead say if you go to

http://www.conifers.org/pi/Pinus_chiapensis.php

there is a discussion of the taxonomy.

And a photo of a cone taken from a tree in a native stand.

• pineresin
    10 years ago

Most likely Pinus ayacahuite, or possibly P. monticola or a hybrid P. ayacahuite x P. strobus.

Resin

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Longwood tree and cones don't look like P. monticola; spacing of cone scales is like P. strobus.

• pineresin
    10 years ago

"Longwood tree and cones don't look like P. monticola"

I've got some wild origin P. monticola which actually look quite similar - the species is very variable (more so than e.g. P. strobus). From some other pics that Johnny sent me, the base of the tree looks like it was mucked about with when young, so the crown shape isn't a good guide (no healthy white pine looks like that naturally!).

Resin

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

"Planted in 1960, 47' high 51' crown spread"

"From some other pics that Johnny sent me, the base of the tree looks like it was mucked about with when young"

1963 was a cold winter, so, maybe freeze damage to the bark?