Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

My Picea pungens 'Glauca Globosa' on standard i got from walmart?

tlbean2004
8 years ago

These are pictures of my globosa i got for 15 bucks at walmart. It is 3ft tall and 1 foot across.

I was researching the plant on here and read about people needing to control the size???

What is that all about?

It is supposed to get 3-5 tall by 4-6 wide.

Why would anyone need to control the size and when i plant this how long should i keep the stake attached?

and....

Comments (10)

• plantkiller_il_5
    8 years ago

bean , the trunk won't get any taller , but the top will be a big flat ball,,,4 to 6 ft.

so peeps prune after new growth

later , under plant with something

my neighbor's got one, probably 6 ft,,,,pretty cool

ron

• severnside
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Good buy.

They can get very large in enough years but then you go back to Walmart and buy another.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

they are ... or were .. planted in front of many MI mcdonalds ... sheared ever year ... as they were planted too close to the building ... keep your eye peeled.. you will probably start seeing them around ...

see link.. about annual growth rates ... being trees .. they will grow at the given growth rate.. FOREVER .. they will never stop growing ... in conifers.. all size estimates are at ten year ... double it for 20 years .... etc ......

after a year or two ... you will be able to predict your plants annual growth ... and then multiply out the decades ... because of shipping.. growing in a pot with hyper fert'g ... transplanting.. etc.. its growth this year.. may or may not be to standard ....

that is a shipping stake ... it should be removed ... and replaced with a good stake ... and that should remain.. until you are very sure.. it can hold its big bulbous head upright ... might take a few years ... and dont forget about wind and snow load in regards to its ability to hold itself up ...

ken

http://conifersociety.org/conifers/conifer-sizes/

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Ken.

I actually never see these around in my area. I dont think i have ever even seen a colorado blue spruce tree planted anywhere in my town. But, im sure someone has one........

• outback63 Dennison
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Picea pungens ' Globosa' grafted on a high standard are a poor mix. They will get big over the years and become a out of balance specimen with regard to the standard it is grafted on. Yes you can candle prune every year with some degree of success but in time it will win the battle and overwhem you. This cultivar belongs on the ground with plenty of room to grow free range.

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    8 years ago

How big can it get? Is the 5Hx6W incorrect?

Good thing i have not planted it yet!

• outback63 Dennison
    8 years ago

"How big can it get? Is the 5Hx6W incorrect"? Yes and then some. If you do this and it gets that big you will have to support all four corners. Conifers grow till they die. Where have I heard that before? Not my quote.

• tlbean2004
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, that is definitely not your qoute as i have heard it many times from the same person.

But, all plants that are living keep growing. Even so, there is usually a height and width at which they top out at give or take a few inches. A tree that is 2 or 3 hundred years old will not be hundreds of feet tall. Although they do increase in girth.

• Mike Welling
    2 years ago

Which Walmart did you get this at and do you happen to still have the tag? They are all so expensive

• plantkiller_il_5
    2 years ago

mike , look at the date of the post