Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clement_2006

Grafts of 5 needles

clement_2006
8 years ago

This year, I grafted a lot of Pinus 5 needles on Pinus uncinata (2 needles) rootstock.

It's not the first time.

Pinus peuce 'Aureovariegata' grafted on Pinus uncinata last year.

Pinus cembra cv grafted some years ago on pinus uncinata.

I'm remember also some comments here about Pseudotsuga japonica and the grafting problem, here grafted on larix.

I hope it's viable for long time !?

Comments (11)

• gardener365
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Bill Barger, an American, grafts all pines to Pinus strobus. I've never heard of the other way around where 5-needled are put onto 2-needled.

The first time I read here from Resin that Pseudotsuga is relatively a close match to Larix was many years ago. I do not recall specifically P. japonicum (as problematic.) Only that Larix and Pseudotsuga are close enough a match to be interchangeable when rootstocks of the the same Genus are not available. The question of long-term was never addressed.

Dax

• clement_2006
    Original Author
    8 years ago

salicaceae(z8b FL)

I've heard that this has been tried, but rarely works. A friend of mine said he tried to use P. menziesii as rootstock for P. japonica many times, but the grafts always fail. Graft incompatibility has long been an issue for P. menziesii on itself too. Not sure why.

Like Bookmark January 3, 2014 at 9:27PM

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

Do you think they can hybridize, salicaceae?

The offspring might have to be cutting or tissue-cultured if there were a good one, but if such a cross would "take" it might be worthwhile.

Like Bookmark January 3, 2014 at 10:47PM

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

pineresin

"Do you think they can hybridize, salicaceae?"

No; P. menziesii has a different chromosome number (2n = 26; c.f. 2n = 24 for P. japonica and almost all other Pinaceae). That prevents hybridisation, though it won't be the cause of graft incompatibility. I've seen P. menziesii grafted successfully on Larix kaempferi, so it can be done.

Resin

• clement_2006
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here in " Europe" , we have many problem with the 5 needles pine rootstock, due to the roots system in pot and container, but also with fungi on Pinus strobus.

Maybe the grafting on 2 needles pine are a (part) solution ?

• gardener365
    8 years ago

It seems ok since your Pinus cembra is doing fine after many years. For faster growing trees of 5-needles then you put those on sylvestris? Pinus peuce 'Aureovariegata' seems too fast for uncinata or maybe Aureovariegata is less than 6"/15cm annual growth during it's fastest years? I do not know but regarded it as a tree and not an intermediate or dwarf.

P.armandii ? Why not it for 5-needled grafts? I have heard it's very good for greenhouse conditions and not the concerns of P. strobus.

Dax

• severnside
    8 years ago

Very interesting.

Why not 5-needle on to Parviflora?

I ask because I may want to graft a Longaeva and am thinking of rootstocks.

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Since you live in the UK, I would think armandii since rootstocks are commonly available, severn.

Dax

• maple_grove_gw
    8 years ago

I've been told by very reputable grafters that longaeva can be grafted onto sylvestris with good results. I geuss this is in line with Clement's results with uncinate pine. Have also heard in the past that thunbergii is an understock of choice for parviflora in the context of bonsai, since it can tolerate a good deal of abuse.

severnside, you may want to try a few different species of understock to see which work the best for you.

• maple_grove_gw
    8 years ago

That cembra cultivar is beautiful. Clement, do you know the cultivar name?

• clement_2006
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pinus sylvestris an nigra are also possible I think.

About pinus armandii used in quantities now, It's always questionable if it's so good ?

Know you many trees ? Used from +/-10 years it's to short time for a good evaluation.

Pinus parviflora ... why not, but surely not better.

For Pinus peuce 'Aureovariegata', don't forget Pinus uncinata are also a tree, medium but not dwarf like Pinus mugo so used in the past.

• severnside
    8 years ago

Thanks Maple I will look into that.

I also might want to salvage a Flexilis by grafting that isn't thriving and I guess the same as Longaeva applies.

• clement_2006
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's Pinus cembra 'Pygmy'

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm