Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener365

Pinus bungeana - Share Your Pics

gardener365
8 years ago

Hi All,

I'd like to see the bark of your tree(s) as well as the form. Doesn't matter if species or cultivar.

I'd like to graft one of these because my soil doesn't seem to tolerate bungeana roots.

So, I thank you.

Dax

Comments (32)

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    8 years ago

No form, just bark from an arboretum tree that no longer exists

• gardener365
    Original Author
    8 years ago

They can vary so wildly or at least photos are available with green and even red splotches. That's the tree I'm searching for, ideally.

I think they're all going to be good, however.

Thank ya, Marshall.

Dax

• raul_kender
    8 years ago

this one is from Kew Gardens, London

• raul_kender
    8 years ago

and here is one in Morris Arboretum, Delaware

• gardener365
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's the one Raul I'm looking for scionwood for: Kew Gardens.

Raul, send a message from my page to me will you? I'd of sent one to you but you haven't enabled that as an option from your profile.

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

never was interested in the group.. no pix from me ...

ken

• gardener365
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's about the best pine there is, lol, kennith!

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Bark has started flaking but isn't impressive yet.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Heya smivies, is that your stenocoma? It's a dandy.

Dax

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    8 years ago

Not with needles that length...it's my Lacebark Pine.

Stenocoma got badly burned in February, especially from the snow line to 7'. Above that, it was reasonably ok. The extension buds are now growing strongly but many of the brachyblasts have been very slow to recover.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Right. I was looking at your photo album and saw a stenocoma about 4' tall up against a wooden fence.

I've always wanted to plant a stenocoma. I got some scionwood I passed along to Gary Gee @ Gee Farms in Michigan of some high altitude specimens in Turkey. These trees from which the scionwood was collected are about as high as any person can reach on foot (and have experienced -28 F or colder if I am recalling, correctly.) I've yet to find out if they grafted successfully to deodara. After Gary grafted them he said he had stenocoma seedlings and it didn't cross his mind to use those... oops! :-)

Dax

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    8 years ago

That Stenocoma is a seedling...super easy to grow from seed. I have ~30 2.5 year old seedlings that showed varying levels of damage at or above the snow line (none to bud death) this past winter. That may be genetic hardiness variability or subtle differences in cultural and environmental conditions...couldn't say after one (harsh) winter outside.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yep.

Dax

• jayhawkfan56
    8 years ago

Smivies-

Would you care to post a pic of the stenocomas? I've got a few growing from seed probably 6mos old. Pretty small still. Didn't see the link to album Dax was referring to.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    8 years ago

From June last year...haven't uploaded 2015 photos yet

Cedrus libani 'stenocoma'

gardener365 thanked Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
  • gardener365
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Swankadilly. I need one. How about your seedlings when you have an extra moment?

Dax

• PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    8 years ago

gardener365 thanked Katsura Gardens
  • gardener365
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Impressive! I found your website and was hoping for mail order of propagated specimens of that tree. I see you're not mail order though. Would you like to trade scions or grafts or plants in any order. I'd be more than willing to send grafts for scionwood next February.

Dax

• whaas_5a
    8 years ago

Chicago Botanic Gardens

• gardener365
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank ya, thank ya, whaas.

• PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    8 years ago

Yes Dax,we'll make something happen. I have more specimens, smaller but nice. Also have a nice specimen of P. b. Compacta.

gardener365 thanked Katsura Gardens
  • PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    8 years ago

Temple Gem

• gardener365
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Message sent, Katsura.

• severnside
    8 years ago

Coincidentally Pinus Bungeana 'June's Broom' has just become available at Kenwith Nursery (Gordon Haddow). A nice plant but do the tight brooms show the bark? Probably not for many years.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You wouldn't be growing it for the bark until decades down the line if you limbed it up, yes.

Dax

• sam_md
    8 years ago

I marked Lacebark Pine off the list decades ago. Sort of the Bradford Pear of the conifer world.snow damage to Lacebark Pine

• gardener365
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I can't live without it as you can see. On another note relating to trees with tremendous bark, I grew and potted up 30-ish Pseudocydonia sinensis. Also was gifted a Stewartia pseudocamellia grown at Heritage Seedlings from a seed source that apparently walked away unscathed from -30F.

Dax

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    8 years ago

Dax...how do you find the hardiness of Pseudocydonia? The threshold for the ones I tried was almost exactly -15F. Unfortunately, we drop below -15F in 50% of our winters though thankfully, in my 18 years here, we've never gone below -20F.

• gardener365
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm going to give it a shot, that's all. I will end up planting ~15 in a temporary bed once I get a full band pot set of roots to see if any are hardier than others. The others I'll give away and sell on ebay.

Dax

• PRO
    Katsura Gardens
    8 years ago

Pinus bungeana Compacta

• gardener365
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's a darn nice tree. I'll have to assume you read my message sent a week ago.

Thanks a lot for posting.

Dax