Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ghansen9

Dwarf cryptomeria 'little champion' dying

ghansen9
7 years ago

Can anyone tell what the problem is here? I tried not to overwater, and would give the ground a good long soaking about once every 5-7 days when it hadn't rained. I live in Westchester County, just north of NYC. I don't know if this is a pest issue or suffering from the soil drying out too frequently. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

any possibility of a dog in the area ???

you might bend down there.. and see if you smell urea ....

in the alternative.. what direction does the damage face ...

how long has it been there.. how planted ... ever fert.. etc ... you havent given us many facts to speculate on ...

take a hand trowel.. and dig down 2 or 3 inches.. and FIND OUT.. how dry or damp the soil is at depth ... sounds like you are kinda winging it on water needs ...

ken

• Mike McGarvey
    7 years ago

Perhaps a male cat? Do you have a small dog?

It doesn't look like a water issue. As Ken says, dig down a bit and find out.

Your Cryptomeria looks a lot like one called 'Nana'.

Mike

• Jean
    7 years ago

When was it planted?

If recently -- this year or last -- most likely original rootball is too dry.

• DeanW45
    7 years ago

For what it's worth, Cryptomeria are pretty drought tolerant once they are established. I think your watering schedule is more than adequate. But even with "enough" water, a rootball with an encircling root or other issue can quickly kill either part or all of a plant.

• PRO
    Form and Foliage
    7 years ago

My 'Little Diamond' do that from dog pee but the clue is whether it's in one place (dog) or in multiple spors around the plant, in which cade as stated above.

• ghansen9
    Original Author
    7 years ago

There's no issue with a dog or cat peeing on it. I planted this early this spring in a freshly prepared garden. I fertilized once when preparing the bed and once in mid summer. The damage faces East, and this is the side of the plant that gets the most sun... If its a root ball issue, should I dig it up and cut some of the encircling roots?

• Mike McGarvey
    7 years ago

I'd see if the branch is broken first.

Mike

7 years ago

in my glacial sand.. i have NEVER fed a tree or conifer ...

they are trees.. not children ... you might be on the verge of loving it to death ... it cant possibly be that hungry ...

what is a freshly prepared garden bed??? ... di that also include fert in the bed ...

that said.. i dont think that has much to do about this ...

i also suspect its a root issue.. and the only way to find out.. is to dig it up and find out ... after using mikes suggestion ... it could be all one damaged branch ...

finally ... it is not uncommon.. for damage.. on an evergreen.. to not show until some vast weather insult ... by which i mean.. the heat of summer.. or in MI ... the freeze dryness of winter ... it can take a long time for such to turn brown ... in other words.. the damage might predate you purchase ... hence looking for a damaged branch ...

ken

• teeka0801(7aNoVa)
    7 years ago

I have that same browning on two soft serve...what IS that browning from?? Now one of them is almost 3/4 brown. I am stumped. I even dug one up and put it in a large pot and just doesn't seem to be coming around...

Will a plant come back from being 3/4 brown? do you cut off the brown? I also just got them in this spring, so do I return them and try to get a refund?

7 years ago

what IS that browning from??

==>> did you read any of the above ...

and what does your potted plant have to do with this one in the ground ???

and whats a self serve?

ken

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

But even with "enough" water, a rootball with an encircling root or
    other issue can quickly kill either part or all of a plant.

I think Dean has the best take on this. Now is a good time of year to dig it up and check the roots. I actually think it could be planted a little too deep, have knotted roots, AND be getting overwatered. Dig, untangle roots, plant 2-3" above soil level, and at this time of year you can somewhat ease off on that watering scheduling. With mulch, once every 10-14 days should be ok. Roots need oxygen, too.

• teeka0801(7aNoVa)
    7 years ago

the brown on my cham pisifera soft serve has that same look.

Roots are not messed up and it is a container plant. It just looked similar to the problem the op had. I had it in the ground and put it in a pot when I saw this going on.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    7 years ago

Well, something is messed up, because this is not a normal growth pattern for a conifer.