Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kanecats

Picea Glauca Blue Wonder

kanecats
6 years ago

Hello,

Can anyone guide me on where to find this dwarf blue spruce? I see only one Google supplier and would like to get a 3-4 footer. I believe what I have pictured is the Blue Wonder. They have remained this height (5 feet) for several years and I would like to get one for my yard. Thanks for any help!

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    6 years ago

welcome to the forums ...

a blue spruce is Picea pungens ... but you title suggests Picea glauca ... how did you come to the ID of blue wonder???? .... im thinking we might need to secure an Id before we get you all excited ...

where are you ...

how long have those been there ??? .. it is not uncommon for HUGE transplants to seem to not grow much for a couple years .. until they regrow the roots cut off in transplanting ... and then they can take off like rockets .... and i dont know about putting 3 of them on a high traffic corner... whats that all about ....

if i am not mistaken ... blue wonder is only a seedling strain selected for color ... and there is nothing small or slow growing about it... once it gets going ...

how big is your yard.. that you have room for what might end up a monster in the decades to come ???? .. i will stand corrected if i am wrong ... on the seedling part ...

there are many named cultivars... that will grow much smaller.. and stay smaller over the decades ... and they are offered from online specialty nurseries ... if you dont mind a bit smaller ... or you can talk with a local high end nursery.. and order in a larger one.. for spring planting ...

but we need to know what your parameters are ...

ken

• kanecats
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok...understood Ken!

I live in Southern NJ zone 7a I believe. I am looking for a blue spruce which would be planted to one side of a sidewalk which wraps around to my back yard. It will be in full sun at that location. My soil is marl, so drainage is not optimal, however the full sun load keeps the soil dry in that location. The space I have in mind would be about a 5 foot diameter. I love the look of the pictured trees, so that is what I am going for.

The trees in the picture have been at that site for 5 years. They were about 3-4 feet when planted, and now are my height about 5 feet. No one at local nurseries is giving me anything to go on, but rather trying to get me to buy a Baby Blue and call it a day. I know they get to 15-30 feet despite the fact that they tell me they will not go beyond 8-10 feet. I just want a petite little conifer with a big pop of color!

Since the local nurseries are trying to sell what they have, I thought I would turn to you all and get the appropriate direction. I would hate to put in a tree only to have to rip it out in several years.

• stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    6 years ago

The 3 tree's in the above photo do indeed look like their in the Picea Pungens family. I'd recommend starting a new thread in the "Name That Plant" subforum link and have someone correctly id the tree. If you want a really slow growing Blue spruce I'd recommend 'Baby Blue Eyes'.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Getting a conifer ID is best done here. Looks like Picea pungens to me as well from this distance. Definitely not Picea glauca 'Blue Wonder'. What is the ultimate size your space can support?

tj

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    6 years ago

if you dont get a cultivar name here.. you surely arent going to get it in the name that plant forum ... but ya never know.. so what the heck ...

conifers are trees .. in your lifetime.. they will NEVER stop growing ... most size estimates of named plants is at 10 years ... simply presume at 20 years it will be twice as big in all dimensions ... no tree magically stops growing at some certain height ...

my baby blue at 15 years.. is at least 12 feet and 8 wide ... find better nursery peeps ...

frankly ... and without a pic.. 5 feet is not enough space for any upright pungens ...

if you provide a pic.. maybe we can help pick something ...

ken

• kanecats
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all...I will be taking a ride next week to a nursery 3 hours away and decide on either Sester Dwarf or Baby Blue Eyes. The tree will be planted along a walkway to my back yard. The space is about a 6 foot diameter area, so I can center the tree and plant around it with annuals and perennials until it gets bigger.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    6 years ago

Look at Picea glauca 'Pendula'. The 6 foot diameter is about its max.

tj

• Erin Yarnell
    3 years ago

I too am looking for picea glauca Blue Wonder. It only grows 6' tall by 3'wide. Does anyone know anywhere in Southern Ontario that sells it?

• K. M. Thomas
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Fast growing trees website sells them. I just ordered one from them

• Ed Middleton
    2 years ago

Fast Growing Trees does not ship to Canada.