Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gibsonsteve1

Need Foreground Ideas

A neighbor beside me is selling her acreage, and if the ever Increasing suburban sprawl around me is any indicator, a developer is sure to gobble it up with cookie cutter ugliness.

I decided to be proactive, and planted a 150’ mixed screen on the gentle slope of the hillside between us. Right now they are mostly 2-4‘ seedlings Ie:

(the largest planting is an 8’ Taxodium ascendens ‘Debonair’/‘Morris’)

The hope is their spacing (20-30’) will lead to an interesting wall of foliage in 20 years. A rough Idea of what I’m going for if all grows well In 20 or so years.

I’m wondering, what larger foreground options do you all enjoy in full sun? It’ll be a while before it becomes an actual screen, so I’m trying to decide between hardy perennial sweeps, a few larger growing shrubs in groupings, sweeps of smaller shrubs (things like Itea or Fothergilla), or even clumps of larger growing grasses. Just feeling a bit

Comments (10)

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

What are the conifer varieties, that would form the new backdrop shown?

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    3 years ago

Start with what you like. There are so many possibilities. What you enjoy looking at is important.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

you might want to work in some faster growing shrubs ... that the conifers will eventually over take ... giving you a shorter wait on the screen ... i mean faster than the trees .... not carp shrubs that grow faster ...

ken

Stephen Gibson (NC 7B) thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Stephen Gibson (NC 7B)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the input Sara and Ken. Admittedly I’ve become so much of a conifer addict that my shrub knowledge is a little lacking.

I use cultivars of Deutzia, Fothergilla, Ligustrum, Callicarpa, Ilex, Itea, Nandina, Pittosporom, Prunus schipkaensis, Nandina (cringe), Cleyera, Kerria, Loropetalum, and Rhododendron with clients. So I know if I want to treat them as filler that’ll be overtaken I have some options. I guess I was curious if anyone had some companion ideas I haven’t thought/know about.

Embo, many moons ago you commented on a girdling root post I put up, about how bad most Nursery root systems are, and it rocked my business/personal gardening life. I began to obsessively pick apart and spread roots. I’ve been going small (1-7gallon) ever since. The small guys that went into this screen huge banana shaped screen:

5 C. nootkatensis ‘Pendula’

3 Cryptomeria japonica ‘Cryptonite’

1 Thujopsis dolobrata ‘Aurea’

1 Taxodium ascendens ‘Debonair’

1 Pinus wallichiana ‘Zebrina’

1 Tsuga canadensis ‘Golden Splendor’ (feel like this will have to be moved in a year due to too much sun... Ill see how summer ‘21 treats it)

1 Cedrus atlantica ‘Fastigiata’

1 Pinus thunbergii ‘Torafu Matsu’

...So most of the things are supposed to be fast/large growing

• Embothrium
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Just as you planned choice and arrangement of conifers involved in backdrop for most pleasing possible outcome you will want to pick shrubs that look good in front of each particular conifer specimen. Pairings like large leaves in front of small ones (as well as the reverse textural combination), blue flowers or gray leaves in front of yellow foliage, and purple leaves seen against the blue cedar.

Stephen Gibson (NC 7B) thanked Embothrium
  • Smith127 (7b GA)
    3 years ago

I'm planning a mixed screen myself in 7B Georgia right now. I'm looking to start with decent sized trees so i'm mostly limited to what I can find at my local nurseries. Fortunately, we have a handful of good ones nearby. There is an inspiring image of a mixed conifer background in Adrian Bloom's book that is mostly populated with Lawson Cypress and Picea, but unfortunately- those are mostly out here. This is what I've procured so far (but haven't planted). I'm looking to add several more. I have about 70' of south-facing fence line that I want to eventually cover and I can come out about 40' ft, so I'm hoping to have some layering. Does anyone from the SE have suggestions for potential additions? I live in Atlanta but am willing to drive as far as Asheville or that area. I'm missing blues and pines and i'm hoping to stick with more slender selections so I can pack in more contrast and color. I'll also mention that this spot is full sun and not the driest, so most Picea seem out - think.

Juniperus chinensis 'Spartan'

Ember Waves® Western Arborvitae

Thuja occidentalis 'Degroot's Spire'

Emerald Isle® Leyland Cypress

Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Pendula'

Chamaecyparis obtusa ‘Aurea’

Cedrus atlantica 'Horstmann'

Thuja standishii x plicata 'Green Giant'

Thuja Tiny Tower

• Stephen Gibson (NC 7B)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Smith, if you’re willing to drive as far as Asheville, go visit Bruce Appledoorn at Appledoorn Nursery. He has a Huge selection of things that fit your size/species desires. Also, Michael Balough’s nursery: Mountain Meadows, slightly north of Aheville (20 miles) has things that would fit what you’re looking for as well.

Some things that have performed well for me in full south facing sun in N.C. and fit what you’re looking for:

Cedrus atlantica ‘Fastigiata’ (will give you blue color, and a narrow form factor)

Cedrus deodara ‘Electra Blue’

Pinus strobus ‘Fastigiata’

P. strobus ‘Stowe Pillar’

Tsuga sieboldii

Thuja standishii

All of the C. nootkatensis cultivars!

Pinus koraiensis ‘Silverray’ & ‘Morris Blue’

Pinus parviflora ‘Glauca’

Thuja plicata ‘Clemson Select’

Cryptomeria ‘Tarheel Blue’

Lots of Chamaecyparis thyoides cultivars ( but I’m partial to ’Red Velvet)

Get your hands on Cox and Ruter’s Landscaping with Conifers and Ginkgo For the Southeast. It will become your go to reference.

• Smith127 (7b GA)
    3 years ago

Thanks, Stephen. Would love to get my hands on a parviflora glauca and a few of the others you mention.

• Smith127 (7b GA)
    3 years ago

@stephen I found a parviflora glauca (Monrovia), any idea if they can handle full sun?