IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Araucaria hunsteinii- Klinki Pine

Eric in Orlando

Here is a conifer you don't see often, Araucaria hunsteinii, Klinki-Pine from Papau New Guinea. In habitat it can grow 150-295 ft tall. Its the tallest tree in PNG and the tallest Araucaria. Ours was planted in June 2000, about 2ft tall. It is about 25ft now, it blew over in Hurricane Charley in Aug. 2004 but it was stood back up.

img_0975.jpg

img_0976.jpg

• Upvote 4

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric--

Way cool! Foliage looks like big Retrophyllum rospigliosi. Is it soft-textured, or prickly, a-la A. bidwillii?

Was Chad growing this at MBC?

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Great tree Eric-thanks for posting! How tall do you reckon it might grow for you guys?

Unless they can take a direct hit, I'm sure lightning will limit it.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric--

Way cool! Foliage looks like big Retrophyllum rospigliosi. Is it soft-textured, or prickly, a-la A. bidwillii?

Was Chad growing this at MBC?

It is very sharp and prickly like A. bidwillii.

I don't remember seeing one in the ground but he may have had some in the nursery.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric,

A beautiful tree! I want to go shopping with you! You have the neatest stuff.

I am in Dallas and visited the Dallas Arboretum over the weekend. One of the most amazing trees I saw was a pecan tree - the oldest one in Texas. It is estimated to be over 200 years old. It must be 5 feet in diameter. Magnificent. I did notice that it is grounded. There is a cable running all the way to the top (at least as far up as I could see) that stands out from the trunk and goes into the ground. Never saw that done before.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Eric,

A beautiful tree! I want to go shopping with you! You have the neatest stuff.

I am in Dallas and visited the Dallas Arboretum over the weekend. One of the most amazing trees I saw was a pecan tree - the oldest one in Texas. It is estimated to be over 200 years old. It must be 5 feet in diameter. Magnificent. I did notice that it is grounded. There is a cable running all the way to the top (at least as far up as I could see) that stands out from the trunk and goes into the ground. Never saw that done before.

Kitty--

I'm curious why lightning protection is not done more often in Florida. It is quite commonly done in the Midwest. Perhaps it has to do with our sandy/shallow soils not grounding lightning as efficiently as loam soils in other areas?

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Good question. I know houses and other buildings are grounded, at least the newer ones. But I've seen pine trees struck by lightning and it is an awesome sight! They just explode.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Eric,

You do have a great collection there and great sources too.

Ken,

Few people worry about lightning strikes on trees and few arborists sell the cable system. I've seen the system at trade shows and conventions but have only seen a handful of trees with lightning cables. Mindsets don't put much effort into maintaining large trees as most are eager to cut them down or reduce the canopy.

When at the New Caledonia Bi-Ennial, we saw about 20 different Auracaria species. I wish they were more available here.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I'd love seeds from any of this Genera except the common Norfork and Cook Island Pines.

Buy, trade, whatever!

Wai'anae Steve

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

• 6 years later...

Hi Guys!

Just came across your post during a web search.

I thought you might be interested in freshly collected Araucaria hunsteinii seeds. https://www.trebrown.com/

http://www.trebrown.com/plant_info.php?species=Araucaria+hunsteinii

Phil

I'm the owner of the Trebrown Nurseries palm seeds & other Exotics' seed site

• 1 year later...

I visited Leu Gardens a week and a half ago. This tree was high on my list to see.

IMG_9749.thumb.JPG.17ec1ca4a0540643655b4

IMG_9777.thumb.JPG.986bb443e1a82bb5c8855

IMG_9778.JPG

Edited by Opal92
  • Upvote 5

I wish I could find seeds of this tree. We purchased that tree 17 years ago from an online source that has since gone. I have never seen it offered since.

• Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I love Araucaria, and would love to find seeds, too! Amazing trees - thanks for sharing. 

• 8 months later...